F-15 ACTIVE

Firefox

Firefox where did you see that pic, are the Japanesse devloping their one F-15 ACTIVES in house, if so cool. It's not a true Active though, unless they did some major modifications, the canards appear to be fixed for one, and the vertical stabilizers have been redone as well.

Edited by Knight26

i'd be suprised if its a japanise plane. as far as i know the japanise are still not allowed to have a millitary to speak of.

more likely a american plane based in japan with some japanise markings on it.

something like what the f-14 had on its tail with the japanise sun logo on it.

i'd be suprised if its a japanise plane. as far as i know the japanise are still not allowed to have a millitary to speak of.

more likely a american plane based in japan with some japanise markings on it.

something like what the f-14 had on its tail with the japanise sun logo on it.

Ummm... JSDF?

Japan has a military, but (at least on paper), it's considered solely defensive, even though they pack a lot of offensive weaponry.

The F-15 has been in use in Japan for a while now. IIRC, Japanese companies have provided several upgrades that improves the plane's performance which can only be found in the birds they own.

BTW- I'm being dumb now: What's ACTIVE?

www.globalsecurity.org is usually a great site to read up on things like this. Lots of interesting stuff here in general. Here is their run down on the JSDF:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/wor...d/japan/jda.htm

Couldn't really find anything on this F-15. Japan's new F-2 is a remolding of the F-16. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/wor...d/japan/f-2.htm

Maybe this is a similar project?

Jeff Grose

AN

Well that got MY attention!

Hmmmmn. It's not the F-15ACTIVE, modified or not. (trust me).

2 possibilites IMHO:

1. It's a fake photo. If it is, it's a good one. Main clue is the rudder---it looks as if the antennas/receivers on the stab actually overlap the (new) rudder's hinge-line, thus preventing it from moving. I also don't like the serial number on the stab (if anything, this is an F-15DJ, which there are none with 075 for a serial), nor the coloring on the rudder. However, if this was faked, then the canard was too. If you lighten the pic, the canard has a different shadow than the rest of the plane. But since it's angled, that could explain that. Also it looks to me like the stabs have anhedral. Why would you do that to an F-15? (Or change the rudders like that). That's probably the biggest clue of all---there's no point whatsoever to modifying the vertical stab and rudder like that. It's just stupid and dangerous. (You generally do not chop up an aircraft's only source of yaw stability and control) Also, the canard isn't attached the way it "should" be. Yes, right canard, but fits too closely. The "real" one isn't a perfect fit.

2. There's been a major F-15 modification I don't know about, that nobody's ever even jokingly talked about. (Modifying JASDF F-15's). F-15 canards are nothing more than F-18 stabs. (Yes, F-15's are that much bigger, they use F-18 h.stabs, and control them the same way---standard MDC linkages and all that). You need F-18 parts to make an F-15 like this. Boeing would have SO put something like that on their website. Also, I can't find anything on the net about an F-15 modified like this, either by or for Japan.

IMHO, it's a very very good fake pic. (If it's real, then I'm shocked and humbled).

Edited by David Hingtgen

It's fake. The canard is chopped from a piece of the wing, and if you notice, it's not correctly shaded on the fuselage. Also, the tailfin looks odd as you get to where it's connected to the body, the color looks too... clean.

I'm saying it's a 'chop.

Vostok 7

This was apparently referred to as an F-15 kai EAGLE-PLUS by Patlabor Movie 2 info I looked up. Guess it is just nice Patlabor fan Photoshop work. I'm pretty sure those were single-seaters in the movie though. Nice touch up job, but I think they got that part wrong. :p

Jeff Grose

AN

It's fake. The canard is chopped from a piece of the wing, and if you notice, it's not correctly shaded on the fuselage. Also, the tailfin looks odd as you get to where it's connected to the body, the color looks too... clean.

I'm saying it's a 'chop.

Vostok 7

Yeah, Now that you explained it it became clear as day to me.

Also, the "seam" of the canard to the fuselage has been blended or blurred a little too vociferously.

I've detailed where the faking below, but either way, it's still a pretty neat pic.

post-26-1069198113_thumb.jpg

Oops! I guess my message is too short to explain anything. :D It is a photoshop altered pics. No I don't think Japanese has one of this thing neither to US. The closest if the F-15SMTD/ACTIVE. Frankly, I can't remember what ACTIVE stands for but SMTD stands for Short landing and take off Manuevering Technology Demonstrator.

I got this idea from Patlabour and I really like the F-15s. Yes! "Kill Wyvern"

Wow, you guys in here know your Patlabor... then let me pose a question, if I may.

Is the chopper in Patlabor 2 based on anything in the real world? I can't even find any images of it to act as reference, other than DVD grabs that are insufficient for my purposes. I think it also made an appearance in Patlabor 1, at the very beginning. It seems to draw inspiration from the Hind, but with a skinnier side profile, and a gatling gun of sorts slung under the belly.

I don't think the chopper is coming from real world. Yes I guess it is a combination of Hind and Comanche

white: you are great! You even know which part of the image i took for the canard :D

So this is your chop-job, eh?

You think it's pretty damned fun to f*ck with us... don't you!?!

:D:D:D

Seriously, good job on the photoshopping. The "seam" of the canard on the fuselage is a tad blurry, but it took me awhile to figure it out (with Vostok's help, of course).

As to the Heli... I think it is simply a continuation of the Hind design, as is the little scout copter is a nod to the Kiowa scout.

Is the chopper in Patlabor 2 based on anything in the real world? I can't even find any images of it to act as reference, other than DVD grabs that are insufficient for my purposes.

There are some Shokakugan published P2 books that have a lot of production materials that give you more than just a few glimpses of the choppter.

I'd recommend the P2 Complete Design Files book published under their This Is Animation label. It is relatively easy to find on Yahoo Japan auctions and the price aren't as crazy as the Methods book.

post-26-1069227435_thumb.jpg

Heh heh. The smoothly blended canard was part of my suspicion. (Man I feel stupid not noticing it was part of the wing repeated, I even turned up the brightness--should have turned it higher I guess). F-15 canards do not fit well, should be a visible gap, as well as an extension--it does not mount directly to the wing root. (No surprise, can't stick F-18 parts on an F-15 and expect it to fit). Still, got the overall shape of it very well, though I think the leading edge needed to be more angled back.