LOTR The Two Towers Extended Edition

Jolly Rogers

This version made the theatrical release look like a mindless action movie. There are a lot of character moments, which made it feel more like the first film. The return of Boromir is also much welcomed, and the scenes with him and Faramir do repair the damage Faramir's character suffered in the theatrical version of The Two Towers.

Agreed. Completely. My two least favorite parts of TTT:Theatrical were the unneccessary "faux death and return of Aragorn" and "the complete screwing of the Faramir I liked from the book".

The restored footage gives his character purpose, differentiates him completely from Boromir, and nicely sets up tension for RotK and the stewards of Gondor. He's still not as cool as he was in the books, but it's much, much better.

More scenes with Miranda Otto... :wub:

And I'm glad that the scene with Fangorn swallowing up the routed Uruk's has been added, to the viewer this confirms that they are not coming back in ROTK. As with the scene with the background of Faramir, which explains his situation.

The scenes that are added are telling a more complete story whereas the theather-version left the viewer with a lot of questions. As far as I have seen, there are no extra battle scenes added.

I'm thrilled about all the extra scenes, they really lend a more complete feel to the film. The extra Merry/Pip/Treebeard parts are my favorite. It was really, really great to see 'Old Man Willow' swallow Merry and Pip, and to hear Treebeard say some Tom Bombadil lines. Now I don't feel as bad about the Bombadil section being removed.

Has anyone found some Easter eggs yet? There were a few on the extended version of FOTR, but I haven't had any luck finding hidden stuff on the extended version of The Two Towers yet.

There is on easter egg. It's Gollum accepting his MTV award. Not exactly new but really fun to have.

On the "Part One" disc.

Choose Scene Selection.

Choose 29 - 30 which is the last group of scenes

Select the last scene which is 30

Press Down.

You will see the an image of a ring next to the left of the "new scene and extended scene" text.

Press enter while the ring is highlighted.

This is pretty much like the easter eggs on FOTR EE where there was a MTV parody as well. But the FOTR included a sneak preview trailer of TT. I can't find any trailer of ROTK.

Drew

I didn't get the Uber-edition (with Gollum) but I did get Fellowship's bookend ed. and depending on what RotKEE has I might get it as well. I think the best special documentary is definately "From book to movie" where Peter and co. defend their changes...after seeing that I have a MUCH greater appreciation for Two Towers' Faramir and even (heaven forbid) Arwen :)

Just got the big boxset for my birthday. Haven't had a chance to watch the Gollum DVD, but the book included is pretty cool. The big problem is trying to get Gollum out of the damn box. They didn't make it easy.

was there a way to get it out at all???

I didn't get the regular edition just so I could get this one... I enjoyed the extended edition of the first movie so I have high expectations for this one... I am getting it for the extended footage, not the extras. I don't care about that crap.

Just got the big boxset for my birthday.  Haven't had a chance to watch the Gollum DVD, but the book included is pretty cool.  The big problem is trying to get Gollum out of the damn box.  They didn't make it easy.

was there a way to get it out at all???

TheOneRing.net had a couple of possible methods. One involved cutting the foam, which I don't remember and didn't try.

The one I used was to stick a kitchen knife (the not-so-sharp variety) under the flaps of the bottom of the box to break the glue. Once all the glue is broken (and make sure it's all broken), the bottom should open up fairly easily. Then, all you have to do is pull the whole mess out of the bottom. Then cut the stupid binding thing.

Commentary: I really hated that setup. :angry: Why these people can't think about how to get the thing out is completely beyond me. Hopefully, the idea above will help you out.

There is on easter egg. It's Gollum accepting his MTV award. Not exactly new but really fun to have.

On the "Part One" disc.

Choose Scene Selection.

Choose 29 - 30 which is the last group of scenes

Select the last scene which is 30

Press Down.

You will see the an image of a ring next to the left of the "new scene and extended scene" text.

Press enter while the ring is highlighted.

Thanks, I don't know how I managed to miss it. Guess I was looking for a different icon. :)

Well, I sat down lest Saturday to watch TTT:EE with a couple of my buddies, and I was damn impressed. While I hadn't hated the theatrical version, I was left with an overall feeling of "Meh." The Extended Edition is a far, FAR superior version of the film. If I'd seen that version last December I'd have been as delirious as any real Tolkienite in the audience.