DYRL SDF-1

Thom

Looking good so far, this kit is still on my to get list. Although I have never built a Resin kit before, maybe a dumb question, but is there any real difference between assembling a Plastic kit vs. Resin?

Resin will not bond with regular (styrene) model glue so CA is usually used (sometimes 2 part epoxy).

Resin parts are solid which makes them heavier and so they will often require the insertion of wire supports at the joins (called pinning).

Some resin kit manufacturers may use low-tech, or low quality mould release agents, so washing the parst throughly in a mild soap and warm water is usually required.

Depending on the quality of the casting there may be tremendous amounts of FLASH (eccess resin that had leaked into the spaces between the different parts of the mould.) This could reqire anything from a hooby knife to a motor tool to remove.

Nice score Thom! I'd love to have an SDF-1 in my colletion. I may have to add this to my want list now ( unless a styrene version is released by someone)

This Yellow Sub kit is the only really decent one made of the SDF. Such a shame that it is not more freely available.

I have wanted one for years. Im just not liking the prices that they can fetch on evilbay.

Come on someone release it in styrene of make us a nice large scale decent one. :)

I'll be interested to see how this one comes out, great work so far.

Cool, really cool ! I have Yellow Sub SDF-1, in both versions ( cruiser + attack mode, cost me half of my soul on Ebay... ), some day in future i'll build then, i promise ! But i'm curious, the ship model in the background, it's Yamato's Andromeda ? Are you making a extended version ? Looks great, please add more picutres !

But i'm curious, the ship model in the background, it's Yamato's Andromeda ? Are you making a extended version ? Looks great, please add more picutres !

Yes, that's my EDF Nike. I extended the hull an inch and a half, and all the white that you see is styrene and the resin engine section.

I have more build pictured here, http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/EDF%20Nike/

And thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Thom

Thanks Chas for the info & tips, every so often I come across a Macross resin kit I really like, but then I think I don't know how to assemble them. Now I have a good idea what to do!! B))

Just grab one. Don't freak out when you open the box - it IS a different world from plastic kits. But you'll get all the help you'll need here or on any reasonable forum. A razor saw is another must-have tool, since many resin GKs come with pour stubs that have to be cut off the parts. A motor tool is very useful but don't breathe the dust from sanding or grinding resin. Wear a mask and clean up afterwards carefully.

Just grab one. Don't freak out when you open the box - it IS a different world from plastic kits. But you'll get all the help you'll need here or on any reasonable forum. A razor saw is another must-have tool, since many resin GKs come with pour stubs that have to be cut off the parts. A motor tool is very useful but don't breathe the dust from sanding or grinding resin. Wear a mask and clean up afterwards carefully.

Next time I see a Resin kit that I like, I'm getting it. Definitely looks like if I need help or have a question, this is a good place to ask. Thanks Kremmen! B))

Y'know, I had almost forgotten I had that kit at all. I havnt touched it in years. I got about 3/4 of the way thru the assembly but put it aside as I got distracted with something else.

I should get back to it.

Wasnt there some talk a while back about someone mastering one in 1/2500? Id pay good money for that!

Y'know, I had almost forgotten I had that kit at all. I havnt touched it in years. I got about 3/4 of the way thru the assembly but put it aside as I got distracted with something else.

I should get back to it.

Wasnt there some talk a while back about someone mastering one in 1/2500? Id pay good money for that!

Do you mean this one? http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=32020

It sounds pretty awesome, but the price tag is as far out there as the Megaroad!! Plus, I have to consider shelf space, as in I don't have any!!

But I do have to get working on my SDF-1 again, before the same thing happens to me! :unsure: I've been working on my Andromeda so much, it's sitting by the wayside...

Do you mean this one? http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=32020

It sounds pretty awesome, but the price tag is as far out there as the Megaroad!! Plus, I have to consider shelf space, as in I don't have any!!

But I do have to get working on my SDF-1 again, before the same thing happens to me! :unsure: I've been working on my Andromeda so much, it's sitting by the wayside...

MSLZZ was talking about it a couple years ago it may have ben on the tail end of the original 1/72 monster thread. Anyhow, I'd be interested.

MSLZZ was talking about it a couple years ago it may have ben on the tail end of the original 1/72 monster thread. Anyhow, I'd be interested.

Yeah he said IIRC if there was enough interest and it would be about a foot long. I was in and still am.