Playstation 2 emulators

Daishi3500

Has anyone found a good one, I don't wanna regret selling mine. Throughout all the sites I have visited, they say they "are getting there". And just to make sure, you Do need a dvd-rom. Y'know, the PC will be the ultimate gaming machine (if you can afford it); Easy updates, tweakability, universal (once all the emulators are out) for all types off games, etc.

Well, any info would be much appreciated.

Has anyone found a good one, I don't wanna regret selling mine. Throughout all the sites I have visited, they say they "are getting there". And just to make sure, you Do need a dvd-rom. Y'know, the PC will be the ultimate gaming machine (if you can afford it); Easy updates, tweakability, universal (once all the emulators are out) for all types off games, etc.

One problem with emulation is the fact that it's so processor intensive.

Right now, a 1 Ghz machine (mine) is just enough to run a SNES emulator with some graphical filters...

I'd hate to find out what a PS2 emulator will need to properly run...

FYI, emulators are legal, provided they do not use any proprietary code. The Roms however, are not legal (unless they were freeware to begin with).

Personally, if you like a PS2 so much, just go and buy one. The only reason why I have a Snes and Genesis emulator is because

1) The Snes is no longer being produced

2) The cartriges are getting old

3) Stores are charging $100 for Chrono Trigger (and yes I know about the PS1 version)

Technically, I'm not hurting Nintendo or Sega with these emulators as the sale and production of the SNES or Genesis has long stopped. However, if you get a PS2 emulator and the roms you are hurting Sony.

Right now, a 1 Ghz machine (mine) is just enough to run a SNES emulator with some graphical filters...

FYI, emulators are legal, provided they do not use any proprietary code. The Roms however, are not legal (unless they were freeware to begin with).

Personally, if you like a PS2 so much, just go and buy one. The only reason why I have a Snes and Genesis emulator is because

1) The Snes is no longer being produced

2) The cartriges are getting old

3) Stores are charging $100 for Chrono Trigger (and yes I know about the PS1 version)

Technically, I'm not hurting Nintendo or Sega with these emulators as the sale and production of the SNES or Genesis has long stopped. However, if you get a PS2 emulator and the roms you are hurting Sony.

dman> i ahev my chronotrigger.

Actually VFx2 looks better on my Pent II 450mhz with 16mg vid card than it does on a ps1. Plus you get to use a flightstick.

Some of the emulators are very good...some are very bad. The gameboy one's are nice cause you can play a gameboy game on full screen.

I've used virtualboy advance, epsxe, and some nes one. They are handy.

A GIGAHERTZ?!?!?!?!

Fix your computer. Now.

I know for a FACT that a 500MHz machine with ZSNES on it and a video card with adequate RAM(16 is enough, 2 isn't)can run any non-SA-1 game at the full 60 FPS with a graphics filter applied.

As far as emulators...

ROMs are legal. ROM images are legal too, as long as you make them yourself(or as you mentioned, they've been made freely distributable, as have Vectrex ROM images and the Jaguar BIOS ROM image).

But that's not relevant to a discussion of PS2 emulation, as PS2 games don't come in ROM carts, so the only PS2 ROM is the BIOS.

And no, there is no decent PS2 emulator yet.

There's not even a decent Dreamcast emulator.

I wouldn't suggest using a CD-ROM drive for use with an emulator... you get MUCH better performance by ripping the disk.

-

Oh, yeah, for anybody into the emulation realm... www.ngemu.com . The only site you'll ever need. Supposedly a PS2 emulator is coming out soon... like two weeks soon.

Edited by Akilae

I personally prefer PSXeven, which is currently superior to the commonly recommended ePSXe.

What does it do better than ePSXe? I mean, all the graphical and audio stuff is handled by third-party drivers, so I guess it handles games better? I know ePSXe has a few fatal flaws.. the Deus battle in Xenogears comes to mind...

Would it gobble up all kinds of memory if I ripped, say, FF7, FF8, Xenogears, and Castlevania SOTN?

Well, if you have the hard drive space, it's worth it. Figure about 700 megs per game (x2 for Xenogears, 2 disks).

Some run almost like slideshows straight off the CD, FF9 battle transition scenes for me were like slideshows, and FFT wouldn't even run properly till I ripped it.

Would it gobble up all kinds of memory if I ripped, say, FF7, FF8, Xenogears, and Castlevania SOTN?

Well, if you have the hard drive space, it's worth it. Figure about 700 megs per game (x2 for Xenogears, 2 disks).

And 3x for FF7.

I think 4x for FF8.

Some run almost like slideshows straight off the CD, FF9 battle transition scenes for me were like slideshows, and FFT wouldn't even run properly till I ripped it.

If I recall, part of that is due to the way some emulators handle the CD drive. It should vary form emu to emu.

Edited by JB0

I personally prefer PSXeven, which is currently superior to the commonly recommended ePSXe.

What does it do better than ePSXe? I mean, all the graphical and audio stuff is handled by third-party drivers, so I guess it handles games better? I know ePSXe has a few fatal flaws.. the Deus battle in Xenogears comes to mind...

The actual system is done by the emulator.

That means the CPU and all the stuff on the motherboard that ISN'T your video chipset or audio chipset.

Actually, I think some of the AV hardware stuff is done by the emu too, though I'm not clear on the division.

There's really an awful lot that goes on outside the AV hardware that can really frakk a game.

As an example, DYRL hangs on one level in the PS version(the boss never enters at the end) and the continue screen doesn't work right(it auto-continues before the countdown even appears) when using ePSXe.

PSXeven the continue screen works right and the boss... well, detonating a bomb will slap some sense into the emu(whihc is better than ePSXe).

PSXeven also lets you reconfigure plugins without restarting the emulator and mid-game(hypothetically, in practice it tends to crash when you do the latter, though the former almost always works).

Personally, I'm just glad I have very little use for PS emulators, as I don't see any of them being at a really usable state yet.

I wouldn't suggest using a CD-ROM drive for use with an emulator... you get MUCH better performance by ripping the disk.

I have conectix vgs and I love the thing. Not only does it play all games (legit ones) it will run any game just as well as a playstation (except for the resolution) on a Celeron 333 with windows 98 and 32 megs of ram. Of course, on my laptop I had to get a mod version for windows xp.

I have conectix vgs and I love the thing. Not only does it play all games (legit ones) it will run any game just as well as a playstation (except for the resolution) on a Celeron 333 with windows 98 and 32 megs of ram. Of course, on my laptop I had to get a mod version for windows xp.

And color depth. VGS only runs at 16 bit color. 24- and 32-bit screens are dithered.

I hate dithering.

Actually, for emulation I think video card would be most important. I think Pete's plugins recommends at least a Geforce 2 or 3.

Other than that, your CPU and RAM really shouldn't have any problems with ePSXe.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with ePSXe, other than some quirks with certain games. I've used it to run FF7-9, FFT, Vagrant Story, SOTN, VFX2, Valkyrie Profile, and Raiden without any problems. You'll have to tweak each game to get the best balance between quality and speed, but the results are generally impressive.

A GIGAHERTZ?!?!?!?!

Fix your computer. Now.

I know for a FACT that a 500MHz machine with ZSNES on it and a video card with adequate RAM(16 is enough, 2 isn't)can run any non-SA-1 game at the full 60 FPS with a graphics filter applied.

As far as emulators...

ROMs are legal. ROM images are legal too, as long as you make them yourself(or as you mentioned, they've been made freely distributable, as have Vectrex ROM images and the Jaguar BIOS ROM image).

But that's not relevant to a discussion of PS2 emulation, as PS2 games don't come in ROM carts, so the only PS2 ROM is the BIOS.

And no, there is no decent PS2 emulator yet.

There's not even a decent Dreamcast emulator.

In defense of the 1 Ghz, it was because I had an old TNT2 16 mb card. I'm sure that now with my Radeon 9000 pro 128 mb version, the computer is vastly overpowered...

But I find that the main problem with a few emulators is the sheer power that's needed.

And not all Roms are legal. If you have a Nintendo rom for example and you let Nintendo find out, they will bust you.