The Unseen... Legal again? (Classic Battletech)

TehPW

http://www.dropshipcommand.com/forum/dcboa...=7784&page=

http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/in...ic,53514.0.html

Uh? I was gonna post on DSC but i've been a lurker for years on DSC, as well as ©BT. So i figured i'd ask here, since it's the legal How-teh-&^%$-did Catalyst pull it off? that sparked my curiousity on this topic.

So, since i think all of you are smarter than me, explain to me in little words (or mind-thrust me with the big words) how this is gonna work and how, if they even care it seems, will Disharmony Mold will react? :wacko:

Occam's Razor: CGL asked to license the designs, and the owner of the property said yes (probably after much wrangling). HG can't really do much if they don't own the rights and a higher power decided to license them out (see: Macross Frontier toys).

Herb Beas (the BattleTech line developer...and by the way, it's "BattleTech" again, not "Classic BattleTech") is keeping mum about how he and the gang pulled it off. I don't think we'll ever know, but it had to have been a hell of an effort. Right now, as far as the BT fandom knows, they rights to the artwork exists - publishing old stuff and making new stuff. Since Iron Wind Metals is effectively a separate entity no one knows if the miniatures will go back into production. The new MechWarrior game features a Warhammer that draws very heavily upon the "Unseen" (which they are not any longer) but is still its own design, which says to me that Smith and Tinker may not have the license either (that, or they just decided to reinterpret the designs - their Atlas doesn't look like the classic Atlas either - then again, we don't know how long any of these companies has been sitting on any news).

My personal answer: don't question it...just accept, enjoy, and throw a snicker over to HG.

Wow, that's the single coolest thing I've heard in some time. The Reseens were total crap compared to the original designs (OK, some of them weren't bad, but most were lame ducks).

I wonder if they are going to re-model the Unseens for Mechwarrior 3015 since they were using the Reseen Warhammer in the trailer.

Vostok 7

Occam's Razor: CGL asked to license the designs, and the owner of the property said yes (probably after much wrangling). HG can't really do much if they don't own the rights and a higher power decided to license them out (see: Macross Frontier toys).

Herb Beas (the BattleTech line developer...and by the way, it's "BattleTech" again, not "Classic BattleTech") is keeping mum about how he and the gang pulled it off. I don't think we'll ever know, but it had to have been a hell of an effort. Right now, as far as the BT fandom knows, they rights to the artwork exists - publishing old stuff and making new stuff. Since Iron Wind Metals is effectively a separate entity no one knows if the miniatures will go back into production. The new MechWarrior game features a Warhammer that draws very heavily upon the "Unseen" (which they are not any longer) but is still its own design, which says to me that Smith and Tinker may not have the license either (that, or they just decided to reinterpret the designs - their Atlas doesn't look like the classic Atlas either - then again, we don't know how long any of these companies has been sitting on any news).

My personal answer: don't question it...just accept, enjoy, and throw a snicker over to HG.

So what is HG's status on Macross? Do they still claim some sh*te on the original artwork from Macross-TV?

The warhammer art, i think, is from the their upcoming 25th anniversery book, in homage to one the versions of the orignal box sets back in the 80's. *looks at the entry on DSC's main page* Well, it's the pose of the artwork... but that design... hmm, have to look at it better. it's too roundy for my tastes.

This definitely seems shaky. HG has the international rights to the merchandising of the original Macross series. The Macross designs appearing in Battletech would be an example of cross-merchandising and so HG should be involved in some capacity. Maybe all the parties involved did reach some backroom agreement though. Still, if anyone is trying to make this work under the assumption that BW's being awarded the IP rights to the designs means HG has no rights may find themselves in a lawsuit from either/both HG and BW. I would prefer to think that HG has just decided to let it go since they aren't making money on the destroids anyway and if BT gets successful it's kind of free advertising in some minor capacity for RT.

So what is HG's status on Macross? Do they still claim some sh*te on the original artwork from Macross-TV?

There's another thread for that.

The warhammer art, i think, is from the their upcoming 25th anniversery book, in homage to one the versions of the orignal box sets back in the 80's. *looks at the entry on DSC's main page* Well, it's the pose of the artwork... but that design... hmm, have to look at it better. it's too roundy for my tastes.

That's because it's not a Warhammer. It's a Hammerhands, a predecessor to the Warhammer ;)

This is the 25th Anniversary art you seek:

post-4714-1249869440_thumb.jpg

This is for the 25th Anniversary BattleTech Box Set - the one with minis and rules and other fun things. It's also the first new piece of art featuring an Unseen 'Mech :lol:

You are, of course, assuming they did not work this out through BW.

So I'm to assume that a company that has been screwed out of money by another company wants to be buddy-buddy now? I'm surprised they didn't pull the license from Nichimo for allowing such a mess.

So I'm to assume that a company that has been screwed out of money by another company wants to be buddy-buddy now? I'm surprised they didn't pull the license from Nichimo for allowing such a mess.

A product outside of Japan with Macross designs and BW gets some sort of credit? Would it be worth it to them to put a stick in HG's eye?

Who knows, and no point in really discussing it, I suppose. It seems like they aren't talking.