Books that were better than the movie.

I would like to say with the exception of "The Hunt for Red October" Paramount has come out with a series of brain farts in relation to the Tom Clancy franchise.

Those douche bags put "Patriot Games" out of order in the timeline (the book is set before The Hunt For Red October).

The idiots killed off an important main character who appears in future books in the movie "Clear and Present Danger".

The morons NUKED THE WRONG CITY in the movie version of The Sum of All fears (it was Denver in the book, numbnuts, not Baltimore).

No wonder Tom Clacy decided to quit selling movie rights to Paramount in relation to his books. Paramount really knows how to clusterfoxtrot a franchise.

I would like to say with the exception of "The Hunt for Red October" Paramount has come out with a series of brain farts in relation to the Tom Clancy franchise.

Those douche bags put "Patriot Games" out of order in the timeline (the book is set before The Hunt For Red October).

The idiots killed off an important main character who appears in future books in the movie "Clear and Present Danger".

The morons NUKED THE WRONG CITY in the movie version of The Sum of All fears (it was Denver in the book, numbnuts, not Baltimore).

No wonder Tom Clacy decided to quit selling movie rights to Paramount in relation to his books. Paramount really knows how to clusterfoxtrot a franchise.

OH BOO HOO, THEY CHANGED A FEW DETAILS, THE WORLD COMES TO AN END! Red October was the only book I actually thought was better than the movie. Even though I love Sean Connery, and thought the movie as a whole was good, cutting out the part about scuttling the US sub left a big plot hole that bugged me to no end.

Every other book, the movie was better. Patriot games and Clear and present danger were both way more enjoyable as movies, mostly because of Harrison Ford. Harrison Ford's acting trumps Tom Clancy's writing easily.

Your beef with "clear and Present Danger" I can understand, but your problem with "Sum of All Fears" seems..well, EXCEEDINGLY petty.

If you go through everything with such a fine-toothed comb, I really don't understand how you can love Lynch's Dune movie as much as you do. That took far greater liberties to MUCH worse effect.

I believe that the timeframe in which the sum of all fears took place in the novel (which was circa early 1990's) and the movie (more contemporary) were different, and therefore they took some other creative liberties with the film.

Never been a huge fan of Tom Clancy, he has his "military stuff" researched well in my opinion, but everything else is just very very flawed like going to war over an accident caused by a defective Japanese car in Debt of Honor... lol. Don't get me started on Bear and Dragon.

I find Tom Clancy's writing style to be rather tedious.

It's funny...I've read (and loved) books that a lot of people consider to be "unreadable" (the Post-WWI European Modernists are my all-time favorites, especially Proust, Joyce, Mann, and Musil; I also love Thomas Pynchon [hence my new avatar], Tolstoy, Murasaki, Shakespeare, Milton, Chaucer, Homer, Vergil...this is the stuff I read for fun)...and yet, I cannot make it through an entire Tom Clancy novel.

For the most part, though, I'm with Vostok 7. It's hard for me to think of movies based on books that weren't inferior.

Agreed. The list is MUCH too long.