THE UN-OFFICIAL COLOR SCHEME THREAD

Thanks

I've got a VF-22S kit, but I've no idea how I'll finish it. The trick for me will be to make it look like something that's in an actual military service, but at the same time retain the look of a mecha.

Edited by Trigger

• 2 weeks later...

OK... here are some new VF-22S Schemes I've been messing with...

Inspired by this VF-19

vf_22_4450th_STW.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Blackbird"

vf_22_49th_STW.jpg

And here are two new VF-19A Schemes I've comped up:

Gray Splinter

VF-19_Splinter02.jpg

Gray/Green Splinter

VF-19_Splinter01.jpg

Not sure if its been asked  but does any one have the line drawings for the VF-17 at all.

I ve had a good look through my collection and cant find one.

356470[/snapback]

Not yet.

Check this link out for an interesting assortment of VF-0, 1, 11, 19 and 22's.

http://ncc17006.online.fr/

356428[/snapback]

While there are some really interesting and cool schemes on there, what is the purpose of the swastika on that one VF-1?

356935[/snapback]

I think it's just supposed to be a Valkyrie in Messerschmit colors, similar to the above it painted up like a IJN Zero, I don't think it's meant to have anymore signifigance than that.

It's obvious that it's a reference to a specific aircraft and unit, as are most of the comps. However, my point is - all the other comps look as though they could fit into the Macross continuity of things to come whereas the swastika simply doesn't. It's inclusion in a series of futuristic aircraft (either real or fictional) suggests that the Third Reich would have a place in the world tomorrow.

If he were comping FW-190s or ME-109 paint schemes and unit markings, then the swastika has a historical purpose for being there. But you wouldn't see a Tornado, Alpha Jet or Eurofighter wearing one nor would it ever be considered.

And if he wanted to comp German paint schemes, WW2 schemes wouldn't be a problem and there have been plenty of other schemes the German Air Force and Navy have used since then that are just as interesting (and probably more effective): Don Color's Post-War German Air Force Colors

I'm not suggesting that he be run off the internet, but that comp's just in really bad taste.

You only find it to be in bad taste becuase modern society refuses to let go of the Swastika as a Nazi symbol. Hilter did after all steal the swastika, it has been a symbol in human history for thousands of years, and depending on the culture using it can represent, life, the sun, health, etc... Infact I remember not too long ago a Navajo private school in New Mexico was sued by a Jewish group because the schools flag featured the Navajo swastika (which is reversed). Because the school didn't have the money to fight the suit in court they conceded and removed what was not a nazi symbol but a far more ancient symbol of their own culture.

It's obvious that it's a reference to a specific aircraft and unit, as are most of the comps. However, my point is - all the other comps look as though they could fit into the Macross continuity of things to come whereas the swastika simply doesn't. It's inclusion in a series of futuristic aircraft (either real or fictional) suggests that the Third Reich would have a place in the world tomorrow.

If he were comping FW-190s or ME-109 paint schemes and unit markings, then the swastika has a historical purpose for being there. But you wouldn't see a Tornado, Alpha Jet or Eurofighter wearing one nor would it ever be considered.

And if he wanted to comp German paint schemes, WW2 schemes wouldn't be a problem and there have been plenty of other schemes the German Air Force and Navy have used since then that are just as interesting (and probably more effective): Don Color's Post-War German Air Force Colors

I'm not suggesting that he be run off the internet, but that comp's just in really bad taste.

357466[/snapback]

Well I think that's just the point, you wouldn't see any of those modern fighters or a Valkyrie painted up like Japanese Zeros, USAAF P-51 mustangs, or RAF Spitfires either, but he has Valkyries painted up like every one of those on that site. I don't think that he's intending to portray "real" in service Valkyries with the UN Spacy (note that most of those schemes feature the original national insignia from those WWII fighters not the UN Spacy "fighting kite"), just a fun "this is what a Valkyrie looks like painted like a Messerschmitt" (or Zero, or Mustang, or Spitfire) sort of thing.

You only find it to be in bad taste becuase modern society refuses to let go of the Swastika as a Nazi symbol.  Hilter did after all steal the swastika, it has been a symbol in human history for thousands of years, and depending on the culture using it can represent, life, the sun, health, etc...  Infact I remember not too long ago a Navajo private school in New Mexico was sued by a Jewish group because the schools flag featured the Navajo swastika (which is reversed).  Because the school didn't have the money to fight the suit in court they conceded and removed what was not a nazi symbol but a far more ancient symbol of their own culture.

357989[/snapback]

Put into context like that in 100 years time you could have a situation where the U.N Spacey logo was used in a similar way.

The world is a perverse place and you can get sued for anything weather it is serious or just down right daft. when you can trade mark practically anything nowadays nobody is safe and no logo or sign no matter how old it is.

Example Harmony Gold could sue anyone using the kite logo as they own the rights to it. Oh wait a minute they already did that...

I might have to pay "Harmony Gold tax" for the kite logo I have in the back of my car. Then I would have to sue Alexlay for selling it to me, then he could sue Harmony gold for owning the rights to a cool anime series and making him like it enough to collect stuff from it and make stickers for peoples cars. You get the idea....

Edited by big F

I find it in bad taste because it's a nazi swastika, not a Hindu or Navajo one. Several million people died under it! To this day hate groups continue to use it as a symbol of their agendas. We refuse to let it go? Good! "Those who forget the lessons of the past are condemned to repeat them." Modern Society won't let go of it because it happened in modern times!; we've still got WW2 vets and holocaust survivors living among us. Dismissing it as something that's irrelevant simply because it didn't occur in your lifetime, much less your living memory is foolish.

Like I said earlier - I don't think that guy should be tarred and feathered or whatever. I wanted to know what he was thinking of when he did that comp. So far Nied has had the best answer (but I don't see any USAAF P-51 or RAF Spitfire schemes to go with it and despite the removal of the kit, they still have a UN Spacy on the nacelle, so it's a little sloppy and it gives the wrong first impression.). I'm fine with the Nied's "Luft '46" rationale. But the suggestion to simply accept it based on an "oops - wasn't meant to be that way" argument has got to be the worst.

And actually, we have seen a few modern figters painted up like WW2 fighters for special occasions. Some A-10s have worn D-Day invasion stripes for a recent anniversary, a Virginia ANG F-16 wore P-51 colors and WW2 national insignia on top of it's normal camouflage for a short while and an Arizona ANG F-16 wore the colors of the Tuskeegee Airmen's P-51s. Oh, and I recall an RAF jet (can't remember the type) that had a Spitfire shape painted underneath it. I think there was an F-15 in D-Day stripes too, roughly 28-30 years ago, back when they wore an overall light blue scheme.

History will never let us forget the conflicts in WWI and WWII and for that matter any of the post WWII wars or scirmishes. Hopefully one day people will start to learn that war is not the best way. There isnt a person in Europe that didnt lose at least one member of there family in eaither of the world wars, I for one lost people on both sides of WWII, In fact if it hadnt have been for my German Grandfathers actions after DDay a lot more English, French and American troops would have died. I for one will never forget the meanings of the Swastica. If it wasnt for the second world war I would not be here.

Why do you think the Swastica is practically banned in Germany, they want to forget it.

I got called Nazi all the time at school, told who won the war etc. Despite the fact that I explained my familys involvement the ignorant few still continued to poke fun at me.

I have "friends" who do Nazi salutes when Germany scores against England in Soccer matches. They are idiots, its people like them who wont move on from the past and help to try and heal the wounds left in society by that conflict.

Im not saying forget just forgive and remember.