What is this piece?

Kicker773

hmm.. really? though it was some sort of lights or laser... seems to be too small to be a vernier

I'm going to go with a Light. But it very well could be a laser since it would be pointing forward in fighter mode.

it is a High thrust vernier, (as apposed to the low thrust "hook-and-handle" verniers) same as the blisters on the nose.

animated-vf-1a-fighter.gif

now in SDF:M there were a couple of episodes where they were shown shooting lasers, but it's just an animation error (blame AnimeFriends/Star Pro). officially they're Vernier thrusters.

it is a High thrust vernier, (as apposed to the low thrust "hook-and-handle" verniers) same as the blisters on the nose.

now in SDF:M there were a couple of episodes where they were shown shooting lasers, but it's just an animation error (blame AnimeFriends/Star Pro). officially they're Vernier thrusters.

Mike beat me to it. They are, in fact, High Thrust Verniers. In the episode "Virgin Road", several VF-1As are seen using the thrusters to stop before transforming to Battroid in that scene we're all so familiar with, if I'm not severely mistaken. (Which I might be, as it's been about a year and a half since my last runthrough of SDFM.)

animated-vf-1a-fighter.gif

Yes...THANK you for the visuals and the great explanation. I knew I had seen them shoot lasers previously. ^_^ Should of known is was an "error".

Hey anime52k8, I thought the red things (low thrust verniers) were component locks? Is there a dual purpose to them that I've overlooked?

They're low-thrust Vernier Thrusters/multipurpose hook/handles. They are verniers, and they can be used to lock down parts, or even the whole plane.

Yes...THANK you for the visuals and the great explanation. I knew I had seen them shoot lasers previously. ^_^ Should of known is was an "error".

And, on that note, the nose-mounted ones are actually FLIR pods, if I'm not mistaken.

Hey anime52k8, I thought the red things (low thrust verniers) were component locks? Is there a dual purpose to them that I've overlooked?

do you mean as in "lock parts into Fighter/Battroid mode?" I don't believe they were on the VF-1. the bar on them does act as a tie down point for securing aircraft to flight decks/hangers.

They're low-thrust Vernier Thrusters/multipurpose hook/handles. They are verniers, and they can be used to lock down parts, or even the whole plane.

And, on that note, the nose-mounted ones are actually FLIR pods, if I'm not mistaken.

That's what I thought too. Or rather an IRST system (which is similar to FLIR but with a search & track function) much like what the F-14 Tomcat had on it's nose.

That's what I thought too. Or rather an IRST system (which is similar to FLIR but with a search & track function) much like what the F-14 Tomcat had on it's nose.

Note, though, that the F-14 had a pod mounted post-manufacture for some missions.

IRST isn't likely. It's more likely to be mounted in the head unit, if at all.