VF-25S Messiah Ozma Custom Bandai - Finished!

denversaur

I finished my VF-25S today. Photos are attached.

After building the Hasegawa kits for years, it was interesting switching gears to this kit, designed and engineered like a Master Grade Gundam model.

I decided, importantly, to leave it in fighter mode. I can see that this kit, assembled but unpainted, and with stickers used, would be fine for conversion to Battroid mode. However, I'm aware of the problems people have had with transforming the model when waterslide decals have been applied. I'll add that manipulating the moving parts would likely damage the finishing as well, in addition to the markings.

That being said, I'm really happy with how the fighter looks. It actually displays well with the 1/72 stuff from Hasegawa. I added some extra decals from Hasegawa (you can't beat their cartograph decals for fine details) and inserted styrene panels into the wing pivots to preserve the look of Ozma's Skull Leader insignia. Additionally, I produced a custom decal "Pilot O. Lee" to place below the cockpit canopy, as this was not included with the Bandai decals.

VF25a1.jpg

VF25a2.jpg

VF25a4.jpg

I had some frustrations with this model, but was genuinely pleased with how quickly it went together. The Master Grade method of parting colors out meant almost no masking, and a negligible amount of sanding and filling. I wish that these weren't so expensive (I'd prefer a 3000-yen static model from Hasegawa), but I would to like to build another, and learned some good lessons that I can apply next time around.

-Greg

fantastic~ nice touch on the hasegawa decals, i was wondering about that when i looked at the pictures first.

good decision on leaving it in fighter mode, even our damned yamato toys get jaxored from transforming them.

though i admit wish i could see it transformed but the condition is too precious to compromise!

Yes, I painted the stabilizers. I laid down a grey primer coat first, then used a mixture of Tamiya Flat Yellow and Nato Brown. It also proved useful for touching up other areas where the decal didn't quite fit correctly. Thank you for asking about that. -Greg

denversaur, did you paint the yellow on the vertical stabilizers and if so, how did you mix the yellow paint to patch the decals?

-Kyp

I found the quality of the Bandai decals to be poor as compared to the Hasegawa stuff. Particularly in that the decals intended to cover services like the stabilizer tips weren't printed large enough to actually do it. A surprise, with the amount of complex engineering and effort that went into the design of the kit.

With Hasegawa, for the larger decals intended to replicate "painted" surfaces, if one has enough experience with Mark Softer or Solveset, they can make it work. I try to paint as much as I can, as well. But Hasegawa does a pretty good job with creating large, functional decals--and I usually apply most of the sheets to my kits.

Yellow is always such a hard color to work with!

Thanks for the compliment! Problems aside, this was actually a fun model to build, and looks fierce when completed. There was just a learning curve involved. -Greg

The yellow decals are rubish I usually end up painting them instead along with the blacks on Vf-1's.

Great work there chap.

Greg is right, I think there is no way to make this model look like a model and keep it transformable, not even the works in Japanese magazines are in perfect condition, there is always some decal peeling or some paint missing in the hard corners. Handling (not transforming) could also be a threat to the finishing, even with a clear coat applied.

Looking forward to the non-transformable "F" coming out! and Greg, would you please post more pictures of you "S" from different angles? say head-on, from the back, from below? Also, did you just glue the parts or did you mod the kit to make it fixed (besides the wing folding hinge mod of course)?

• 2 weeks later...

i did promise to finished my vf-25f but currently the hobby stores near my house have not stock in their tamiya flat white. unfortunately the F version will be delayed however the RVF-25 supermessiah will fill in the place....

i've been building and figuring the rvf, and found out somethings isn't right....

post-6204-1241680557_thumb.jpg

as u can see there is no way to fit the gun underneath the RVF

post-6204-1241680577_thumb.jpg

but suddenly the gun appears during the gerwalk n battroid mode.

since i'm building a non transformable RVF, it will look a bit incomplete(not cool) to 'pose' without the gun. any suggestion on how to fix the gun underneath?

well, the RVF-25 did come with another piece of arm armor that doesnt have the antenna attachment,

you cold use that, and give up the antenna.

if u want both the gun AND the antenna, then blu-tak is porbably the only option.

anyway, luca didnt use his gun very much in the anime,

i am perfectly fine about my RVF-25 not having a gun at all

I wish the model kit (and the toys) would be more like the VF-1 v2

I'm with Edwin on this. Building the 1:72 model is fun and it is the best that Bandai has made but...

The gunpod still can't attach properly...

The wheels - though much nicer than the DX- are detachable rather than being integral

The legs can't pivot left or right for good Gerwalk posing...

This is all too much to ask of a model kit - but it's just sucky and yucky that we have - what - THREE different VF-25 figure on the market and all of them pretty much SUCK if we go by Yamato standards....

Save us Yamato! Acquire the license :( please :(

Or is there even a REMOTE chance that Bandai will come out with Renewal versions of the DX that remedy the numerous problems?

Pete

I'm with Edwin on this. Building the 1:72 model is fun and it is the best that Bandai has made but...

The gunpod still can't attach properly...

The wheels - though much nicer than the DX- are detachable rather than being integral

The legs can't pivot left or right for good Gerwalk posing...

This is all too much to ask of a model kit - but it's just sucky and yucky that we have - what - THREE different VF-25 figure on the market and all of them pretty much SUCK if we go by Yamato standards....

Save us Yamato! Acquire the license :( please :(

Or is there even a REMOTE chance that Bandai will come out with Renewal versions of the DX that remedy the numerous problems?

Pete

Agreed with everything you said :D

When I started the VF-25, I wasn't sure if it was going to be transforming, or not--as this was a completely new kit, I wasn't sure if it would work. I proceeded to do a full paint and build up, and near the end, I realized that converting it would mess it up. I used glue in a few places in the final stages (like attaching the gunpod for stability for the base).

I've attached additional photos of the underside, and a cockpit closeup (by the way, its not visible, but I used a HUD decal from the Macross Zero VF-0D for Ozma's display).

-Greg

VF25a6.jpg

VF25a7.jpg

Greg is right, I think there is no way to make this model look like a model and keep it transformable, not even the works in Japanese magazines are in perfect condition, there is always some decal peeling or some paint missing in the hard corners. Handling (not transforming) could also be a threat to the finishing, even with a clear coat applied.

Looking forward to the non-transformable "F" coming out! and Greg, would you please post more pictures of you "S" from different angles? say head-on, from the back, from below? Also, did you just glue the parts or did you mod the kit to make it fixed (besides the wing folding hinge mod of course)?

the custom 'pilot Ozuma Lee' decals does looks interesting...anybody knows how to get laserjet decal film in malaysia? i did search in every hobby shop nearby but couldn't find one....tried to shop online, but most of them doesn't ship worldwide... <_<:(