DYRL Pilot numbers/callsign

miked01

Roy was Skull-01 and Hikaru was Skull-11 (or at least that's what I heard while watching.)

What's Max's or Kakizaki's designation before Roy kicked the bucket?

How about the other Skulls. Any info about the rest of them.

I need the numbers for a shirt project I'll be making for my fellow Macross buddies.

Any help would be appreciated.

Roy was Skull-01 and Hikaru was Skull-11 (or at least that's what I heard while watching.)

What's Max's or Kakizaki's designation before Roy kicked the bucket?

How about the other Skulls. Any info about the rest of them.

I need the numbers for a shirt project I'll be making for my fellow Macross buddies.

Any help would be appreciated.

14 and 16, respectively.

Sucks, though, that they don't have actual callsigns. Just Squadron Number.

"This is Shamrock. So it looks like I'm Garuda-2. Ok, you lead the way and I'll follow your instructions. Never was good with directions, anyhow."

14 and 16, respectively.

Sucks, though, that they don't have actual callsigns. Just Squadron Number.

"This is Shamrock. So it looks like I'm Garuda-2. Ok, you lead the way and I'll follow your instructions. Never was good with directions, anyhow."

Thanks.

Skull Squadron, 24 pilots but only four really matter. :lol:

yeah technically they never had callsigns.

the numbers on the nose and tails are meant to resemble Modex numbers since spacy nomenclature is based off US Navy systems. although in practise they function more like USAF tail codes

if they did have call signs they would be skull 1-4, with the flight lead (Roy) being skull 1. Hikaru was second in command right? if that's the case then he would be skull 3, and Max and kakizaki would be 2 and 4 depending on who is who's wingman (2 is 1's wingman and 4 is 3's)

yeah technically they never had callsigns.

the numbers on the nose and tails are meant to resemble Modex numbers since spacy nomenclature is based off US Navy systems. although in practise they function more like USAF tail codes

if they did have call signs they would be skull 1-4, with the flight lead (Roy) being skull 1. Hikaru was second in command right? if that's the case then he would be skull 3, and Max and kakizaki would be 2 and 4 depending on who is who's wingman (2 is 1's wingman and 4 is 3's)

Why 3 for second in command?

In the DYRL Gold Book, there's also a storyboard sketch that shows a Skull VF-1A with the designation of 017 with FP boosters above it on a hydraulic crane...but that scene ended up becoming the CF 1A being outfitted with Fast Packs just prior to the final battle. So I guess Skull-17 came THIIIIIIIIS close to being canon before ending up on the cutting room floor. :D

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

...and for that matter, why is the SDF-1's bridge designated Delta-1? Would the ARMD bridges be Delta-2 and Delta-3?

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

Just the way formations have been numbered since they started flying 4 ship formations in WWII. Odd numbered planes are leads and even numbered planes are wingmen. Only Leads actively peruse targets, the wingmans job is to fallow the lead and make sure his back is clear while he executes the mission. The logic is that each even numbered plane is the wingman to the odd numbered plane before him.

If you add planes it makes it simpler too. add another element to the flight (an element is a lead + wingman) and the new element lead takes on the number 5 and his wingman takes on the number 6, instead of having to shuffle the numbers up so that they can have the numbers match seniority.

Why do you guys assume that whoever said "let's paint 001 on Roy's VF" or "SDF-1 bridge should be delta-1" knew exactly how it is actually done in RL??? Maybe it was done out of coolness, like when they say on a movie that the armour plate is made of tittanium ceramic alloy.

Pilot callsigns and plane numbers don't mix/relate.

Alto is Skull Four, his plane is 007. Mikhail is Skull Two, plane 003.

For DYRL---don't ignore the 0. US Navy planes have 3 digits, and is yet one more aspect of "US carrier aviation" Macross seems to follow. Of course, the lowest number in the Navy is 100...

However, in the US Navy a callsign given over the radio will often be the plane's, not the pilot's AFAIK. I.E., they'll report in as Gypsy 106 or Victory 202, not Maverick and Goose. :)

For DYRL---don't ignore the 0. US Navy planes have 3 digits, and is yet one more aspect of "US carrier aviation" Macross seems to follow. Of course, the lowest number in the Navy is 100...

like I said, the DYRL (and SDF:M) numbers try to mimic US carrier aviation numbers, but are more like US airforce numbers.

lowest number in the navy is 000, which is for an Admirals transport plane. CAG planes end in 00, and squadron leaders end in 01. the first number indicates squadron and aircraft type (1 and 2 are fighters, 2 and 4 are light attack aircraft, 5 is heavy attack aircraft and I forget what 6 and 7 are).

In Macross the numbers seem kind of arbitrary, I want to say that they function like Air Force tail codes where they are the last 3 numbers of the planes serial number, but I have no way to prove/show that.