Votoms advice

Tochiro

Hey there all,

I've been wanting to get into Votoms for some time now and am considering grabbing a boxset once I finish off my Macross F blu-ray collection with the final volume next month.

So, Im interested in what people think of the show. Impressions? Is it worth the mula?

More importantly, can anyone explain the boxset for me?

I'd heard it was released in a special edition tin can, yet half the sites I've found it on have a cover image (ie, not the can). Whats more, many list it as region 0 and both the disc count (6 to 8) and episode count (52 to 72) vary according to different sites. Ie, are these legit?

http://www.toywuala.com/tho/tr/product/ARM...ON-1003824.html

http://www.foxanime.com/shop/product.asp?c...amp;item=MA388E

Was the set rereleased? I really want to avoid buying a boot if I decide to get this.

Any input would be appreciated!

I got the ammo can set a while back. I think it's done by Central Park Media (no longer in business I think). It has a booklet that gives a pretty good run down on the show and also all the goodies that were available back when the set came out (a lot more goodies are available now). I think it had a few extras on a disc (can't be sure of that as I'm moving into my new home and everything is packed away) and some sort of game as well.

As far as the series goes I love it. If you're not a fan of old school anime you might not like what you see as this is the real deal, no CGI crap so as such it tends to recycle scenes a fair bit. I thought the story was a bit dis-jointed to start off with but it soon got going. Oh and did I mention no CGI crap ;)

It's an all time classic and I reckon you'll be pleased you watched it.

I bought the CPM discs as they came out, and VOTOMS is one of my favorite animes and mecha franchises. The series is excellent and alot of fun, but it does tend to drag on a bit at times, but not cripplingly so. thegunny is right tho, this is old school mecha action at its finest, which can be an acquired taste. One of the biggest draws to watching the original series is that then you can go and watch and understand the OVA movies, which fill in gaps in the story (before, during, and after), and the movies are exquisite... aged like fine wines, and something to be savored over and over again.

Plus, after watching AT:VOTOMS, you'll have an excuse to pick up either Bandai's or Yamato's large Scopedog toy offerings, most all of which are awesome.

I agree with both as well. I bought the ammo box set, and it is indeed a great series to watch. I'm a big fan of the days when anime was all drawn and not done on a computer. It's a great story. Isn't there also a prequel that just came out? That, is CGI, but is still hella cool. If you do watch the original, try to pick-up the prequel afterward. I think it's called ATV:Pailsen Files? Not exactly sure, but that may be correct.

The ammo-tin box set is very cool but might be a little tricky to get hold now the publisher is out of business. The booklet is very well done, written by Tim Eldred. I can't recall the number of episodes, but there should be nine discs in it - eight series episode discs and a bonus content disc.

VOTOMs is a pretty unique show; although the animation is rather rough the maturity of the plot for the time is striking. The basic message? Chirico Cuvie - don't mess. :) It also does some things I've never seen anywhere else, like moving the story along during the next episode previews...!