1/60 Hikaru Yellowing!!!

ychanus

<Everyone runs off to check on their 1/60 Hikaru>

Yeah I put some UV film on all of my windows at home, plus I have my display case away from direct sunlight. And even then, the blinds are closed over in that area.

There are quite a few things you can do to be cautious, but eventually you reach the line that divides paranoia and acceptance. At this point, you can either continue to protect your item (which will take away from your enjoyment), accept the fact that it is going to yellow over time, OR decide to get out of collecting anything with white plastic, period.

(That's not directed at anyone here - it's just a general p.o.v.)

I've been kicking around the idea of adding a layer of UV resistant film to my display case for a few months now (we had a thread on decoration of display cases back then that quickly slid into protection of the items within). Does anyone have recommendations of the best way of accomplishing this? Should I just remove the glass door and have someone do it for me at a shop of some sort or is there any easier/cheaper way?

Well when I did my apartment, I just hit up Lowes and bought some film for the windows. It comes in a roll. You have to basically cut it to a size that is just a little larger than your window, spray it as well as your window with this cleaner spray, and place it on the window. You then use an razor blade to slice off the excess.

It takes some patience, but is manageable after you have done a few panes.

I am not sure if this is going to work for a display case. The adhesive side is pretty reflective on the one I picked up - but then I bought it for UV protection as well as keeping the heat out in the summer and in in the winter. There were quite a few different types of film.

You could probably hit up your local hardware place and talk to them about it if your research for UV protection starts looking expensive. (Not that this stuff is cheap...but if you buy freakin' Valkyries......come on.)

Edited by CkRtech

how "bout PH ...besides light, that can have a great efct on plastic...paper yellows with Ph changes...in the art world we use buffers to prevent valuable papers from yellowing...not sure about plastics though..???do

Maybe furniture polishes or waxes change the PH......

PH refers to the abiltity to accept or release Hydrogen ions.

please correct if i am wrong ...............

When I bought my Taka SDF-1 off a collector I asked him his take on plastic yellowing. He told me "For the most part it's moisture and sunlight so if you avoid both of those it'll keep for a long time. There are absolutely no guarantees though. I have kept items in their box, in a storage container with a package of shipping salts to avoid moisture and still have had items completely yellow on me. In the creation and molding process of making a toy if everything isn't just perfect then there will be more impurities within the plastic and it's only a matter of time before they affect color."

He went on to describe the temperature of plastics during vacuum molding or some such and really lost me in technical babble but that's the part I walked away with. Basically, be smart about how you handle things and keep your fingers crossed 'cause if it wasn't a perfect day at the plant you may just be screwed anyway.

I have kept items in their box, in a storage container with a package of shipping salts to avoid moisture and still have had items completely yellow on me. In the creation and molding process of making a toy if everything isn't just perfect then there will be more impurities within the plastic and it's only a matter of time before they affect color."

WOW. Such pesimism, I have developed now.

Now, I have to check all of my stuff...... :o:(:(

i've also heard, alond with everything else, that yellowing can also be attributed to a lousy mixture in the chemmicals that make the plastic. obviously its not super common, but it coulda just been a crappy batch of parts.