Recommend some die cast mecha toys

Temjin

Can someone recommend me some mecha/robot die cast toys? It can be from any shows, more die cast the better, good looks and articulation is a plus. Price $200 or less.

What do you have currently?

What anime do you like?

Give us some details so we can help you out.

What do you have currently?

What anime do you like?

Give us some details so we can help you out.

It's a gift for a friend, the person really into old school mechas. 80s-early 90s, but really anything goes. Golden Arms, thanks that's a good list to look into. Through may be something not in the Bandai SOC line. He has tons of toys from SOC, and a lot of Gundam figures. I might get him the same one if I buy a more recent release.

I'm thinking may be toys that are older and less popular, or toys that people over looked would be interesting. It doesn't have to be toys, can be fixed pose mecha die cast piece too.

CM's Sankan-oh is one of the nicest Die-cast figures that I own, and it's very old-school in its design.

They can also be found for about 50% off their original retail, around $110 on ebay.

SankanOh1.jpg

SankanOh2.jpg

SankanOh5.jpg

SankanOh9.jpg

GoShogun by CM's corp (the other mech in the above photos) falls into a similar category of phenomenal and heavy diecast, and is around the same price.

SankanOh10.jpg

They're a little less mainstream than SOC's so it's less likely that he'll have them, as well. The Sankan Oh pictured above is the "limited" HK repaint version, which has a little more chrome and metallic paint and is a little nicer looking than the regular version. They're both equally findable for around $100 on ebay though, despite being "limited".

If those are a little TOO old school, CM's Corp's Patlabor Ingram and Griffon are also amazingly well made diecast toys, a little more 80's than 70's, and while a bit pricier than Goshogun and Sankan Oh are still well below the $200 mark.

Edited by QuinJester

Vintage wise:

Takatokus X-Bomber Big Dai-X toys have a high metal content, even the smaller ST version. They are, however, getting pricier.

Its hard to go wrong with a Takatoku 1/40 Orguss Orgoid, if you don't mind a mix of metal and plastic. My experience, though not recent, is that they tend to be cheaper than the Takatoku Valkyries from the same era.

Takaras 1/72 Dougram toys are also pretty darn good:

http://www.toyboxdx.com/datafiles/data/dougram/

Takaras "Dual Model" VOTOMs re-releases would probably interest a serious 80s mecha fan, but I'm not sure if they have any die-cast content...?

A few years back, Bandai released several classic chogokin toys in a smaller size, under "THE CHOGOKIN" label.

More recent:

Another vote for the CMs Corp Patlabor Ingrams. Or, Soul of Chogokins Mazinger Angels - blinged up versions of classic Mazinger fembot designs. Because chrome goes with anything, dear. :)

Incidentally, can I be your friend too?! :lol:

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Oh... those those are in the areas of what I'm looking for. Sankan-oh Goshogun looked like a good choose. Though I thinking he might already saw it or brought it.

The Takatokus line looks like the direction I want to look into. I do mind mix of metal and plastic, it would be perfect if it's 90% or all mental. A review said Goshogun has 80% metal, I might give that a second look if I don't find something.

Thanks guys, if I can find those all metal Takara Dougram "unpainted die cast robots for use as playing pieces" I would use that as my backup plan.

Incidentally, can I be your friend too?! :lol:

Anyway time! just make sure your head is harder than the f 14 canopy :rolleyes:

Edited by Temjin

Hey, thanks for the great pics QuinJester :)

You just created a new Gohkin Go Shogun fan (me) :) I LOVE those guys! But I especially love the little duck :) He is AWESOME!

Dag... I never knew how much of an old school mecha lover I was... but seriously - these are great:)

Pete

Hey, thanks for the great pics QuinJester :)

You just created a new Gohkin Go Shogun fan (me) :) I LOVE those guys! But I especially love the little duck :) He is AWESOME!

Dag... I never knew how much of an old school mecha lover I was... but seriously - these are great:)

Pete

I'd highly highly highly recommend both of these figures, but for the equivalent price I'd recommend Sankan-Oh a little more. He comes with more stuff, can transform into an ... er... elephant ... and yes, he includes the cool purple duck/ostrich/roadrunner thing.

He's pretty aweso...

SankanOh6.jpg

Uhh.... I swear, I don't know what was going on there, folks. Nothing but friends to animals here!

SankanOh7.jpg

There we go!

@Temjin:

There are also Aoshima's Getters. Very high metal content, and again laden with old school funk.

GetterLove.jpg

(The Aoshima is the one on the right ... the one on the left is by Fewture and is very far outside of the price range you mentioned)

Uh... "Jettison canopy before triggering ejection seat"...? :lol:

On my plane, you exit the plane from the side door... ahah

QuinJester

Thanks for posting more, they look great, not really what I'm looking for. I still going with those really old releases. Sankan-Oh and Groizer-X are cool. Those are wild beasts!

thanks guys

Dammit. I sold off my CM's Gyakuten-Oh about a year ago, telling myself I wanted only to collect "serious" robots from "serious anime" like Macross.

Now these pics make me "seriously" want it back, but it seems pretty hard to find these days. Though I do see a "renewal" version listed on HLJ. Anyone have more information on this?

Also, QuinJester, have you seen any comparison pics of the HK-limited Sankan-Oh versus the regular? Both seem equally chrome-y and shiny in the photos I've managed to dig up....

Thanks! :D

Edited by emerson

Dammit. I sold off my CM's Gyakuten-Oh about a year ago, telling myself I wanted only to collect "serious" robots from "serious anime" like Macross.

Now these pics make me "seriously" want it back, but it seems pretty hard to find these days. Though I do see a "renewal" version listed on HLJ. Anyone have more information on this?

Also, QuinJester, have you seen any comparison pics of the HK-limited Sankan-Oh versus the regular? Both seem equally chrome-y and shiny in the photos I've managed to dig up....

Thanks! :D

The "renewal" Gyakuten-Oh is basically just another production run of the original. I guess they didn't make as many of those as they did Sankan-Oh (since stores seem to be practically giving Sankan-Oh away), so they're putting it back on the market.

As for the differences; I've attached a picture. The limited edition has metallic flake black paint instead of gloss, a bronze paint color instead of yellow, and most importantly has chromed knees instead of straight yellow plastic. Slightly more blingy ;)

I want the Gyakuten-Oh to go with him, myself, but not for the price more sellers want to sell him for...

post-6466-1234972126_thumb.jpg

The "renewal" Gyakuten-Oh is basically just another production run of the original. I guess they didn't make as many of those as they did Sankan-Oh (since stores seem to be practically giving Sankan-Oh away), so they're putting it back on the market.

As for the differences; I've attached a picture. The limited edition has metallic flake black paint instead of gloss, a bronze paint color instead of yellow, and most importantly has chromed knees instead of straight yellow plastic. Slightly more blingy ;)

I want the Gyakuten-Oh to go with him, myself, but not for the price more sellers want to sell him for...

Aha, got it. Thanks! The bling is pretty nice.