POM

nitoplayer

I just want to say one word to you, just one word. Are you listening?

Plastics.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure how to tell the difference between this plastic and that plastic after I was snooping around some reviews and noticed POM mentioned. I know PVC is the half way rubbery bendy stuff, ABS is the really hard stuff that cracks instead of bends, but what is POM? I can't believe I never knew what the hell it was!

I have a couple of Busou Shinkis and a Yamato YF-19 that I know have POM somewhere in them. Can anyone who is familiar with this type of plastic sort of point it out to me on these and maybe tell me how I can better recognize it in the future?

POM is usually a bright white plastic, it can be other colors, but when compared to other white plastic pieces, POM will be brighter white. It has a different feel than ABS. It will never be painted. It feels sort of "slippery", and it is extremely strong and scratch resistant (yet it doesn't bend or crack the same as ABS). On Yamato products it'll usually be found on hinges or other potentially load bearing pieces. Most notable was the POM that was on the leg joints of the original 1/60s that plugged into the nose, I think the 1/48 also had leg joints made from POM.

Vostok 7

POM is usually a bright white plastic, it can be other colors, but when compared to other white plastic pieces, POM will be brighter white. It has a different feel than ABS. It will never be painted. It feels sort of "slippery", and it is extremely strong and scratch resistant (yet it doesn't bend or crack the same as ABS). On Yamato products it'll usually be found on hinges or other potentially load bearing pieces. Most notable was the POM that was on the leg joints of the original 1/60s that plugged into the nose, I think the 1/48 also had leg joints made from POM.

Vostok 7

Vostok, is Yamato Macross made mostly by ABS? Like the wings and the body?

So it's a harder type like ABS that has more (and excuse me for this, it's no pun) plasticity? I virtually rule out all the parts that I think were POMs now since apparently now it's "unpaintable" and I'm to assume it's just the matte plastic stuff in high tension areas. If it were paintable I'd assume that, say, the feet parts on Vf-25 (that aren't diecast), the double hinge for the torso to swing up for humanoid mode, and the leg tendon thingies and the gray upper arms are POM.

Edited by nitoplayer

This discussion has made me imagine that perhaps Over-Technology is just POM technology - and the Zentradi; unable to manufacture their ships with POM plastic, came chasing after ASS-1 for its' POM technology, but since they couldn't tell the difference between plastics, they failed and decided to quit and listen to love songs from a sexy girl. The reaction weapons were just a diversion.

It was all about the POM!

Pete

IIRC, Graham also said that only simple shapes can molded with POM, nothing too complex.

Not true at all. Delryn (Dupont's fancy-schmancy name for POM) can be molded just like regular plastic. It's a common plastic to use on N scale locomotive detail parts such as handrails, airhorns, and grab irons, all of which can be very complex and thin detailed parts. It's a plastic just like anything else.

Edited by QuinJester

Vostok, is Yamato Macross made mostly by ABS? Like the wings and the body?

Generally yes, they use ABS for most non-critical parts. At least in my observation.

This discussion has made me imagine that perhaps Over-Technology is just POM technology - and the Zentradi; unable to manufacture their ships with POM plastic, came chasing after ASS-1 for its' POM technology, but since they couldn't tell the difference between plastics, they failed and decided to quit and listen to love songs from a sexy girl. The reaction weapons were just a diversion.

It was all about the POM!

Pete

Delrin is definitely a super-plastic. I love the stuff.

Vostok 7