Where do you guys buy kits?

wwkkim

I basically want to do something with my hands and therefore looking for kits to build.

Do you guys have any recommendation where I can get kits for a cheap price?

I'm more of interested in snap-tight kits from bandai.

Therefore, VF-25 is my subject of interest. Yet, I also love building those MasterGrade models as well.

Thank you guys.

I would recommend www.hlj.com or Hobby Link Japan. Prices are very fair, they don't raoe you on shipping fee's. And very reliable shippers. I have had some really bad experiences with some sellers, many from Ebay. But these guys are really good and honest whether their instock or not.

They have a huge selection, so have fun looking!!! B))

I basically want to do something with my hands and therefore looking for kits to build.

Therefore, VF-25 is my subject of interest. Yet, I also love building those MasterGrade models as well.

Thank you guys.

HLJ could be expensive though depending on where you live. Sometimes Starshipmodeler.com has bandai Macross and Gundam kits. Same price as on HLJ usually but cheaper shipping and lighting fast too. Very trustworthy.

I would suggest finding a part-time job to offset the lost of income as importing models can be fairly expensive.

Hobby Search can be cheaper than HLJ at times, but since you are still importing, your costs for importing a kit via EMS (SAL doesn't have tracking normally) is around $15-$20/kit.

In my case, aside from the above-mentioned online import sites, I try to keep an eye and ear out for the latest toy sales. For instance, there are a few hobby shops here in Manila that me and my plamo friends go to at least once a week so we'll know if they have a sale or scheduled one.

Another way is to ask friends or relatives who might be going to Japan or HK so you can request them to buy the kits you want cheaper. Just make sure though that they are knowledgeable in the plamodelling field too, it helps when choosing the kits to buy. In case they aren't, just give them a sketch/map of where to buy the kits (e.g. AsoBit City in Tokyo, or the various shops in Kwong Wah), just use Google to search up info on these shops or look for the thread somewhere here in MW that has info on HK toy shops.

I can't understand why model kit prices are so high in USA when there is a huge market for it.

I live in USA but sometimes go to korea which apparently has less modellers than USA. However, the companies there were mass shipping the model kits and you can get it at the same price as in Japan. Bandai Alto VF-25 was around 35 USD + $3 shipping.

Thank you guys.

Hobby Link Japan, Starship Modeler store and my local hobby store (who fortunately carries a nice selection of scifi kits).

I can't understand why model kit prices are so high in USA when there is a huge market for it.

You answered your own question. ;) There are relatively few manufacturers of some really nice kits a lot of people want. High demand bids the price up.

To answer the college student question - been there and done that. A few things I can recommend.

First - learn to scratchbuild. I built whatever I wanted - and did it well - from inexpensive materials and kits. I highly recommend the boards at www.starshipmodeler.com.

Draw a design on paper and scratchbuild it from cheap sheet styrene and foam. Where to find this? Yard sale signs and exterior foam insulation from the hardware store. Cover it with Aves epoxy putty. Get your little detail bits from inkpen guts, electronics, cheap aircraft models, and old toys. Anything can help you once you get into the sci-fi modeling mindset.

As for the kits themselves, model contests can be great sources for bargains on models...or you can get taken to the cleaners. Check the market price for a given model you want before you go via evilBay.

Finally, craigslist.org will sometimes have estate sales of model kits. I bought half a dozen kits a while back...for $5.00 because the widow just wanted to get them out of her garage. I picked them up.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

Check this links, i think the better prices online are here:

HWJapan, Bandai Alto Custom 3600Yen + 1230Yen SAL - Only 1 in Stock!!!

http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/BAN155525.aspx

Angolz Bandai Ozma Custom 45$ + AirParcel 20.50$ I bought here my Ozma MK with 2 GundamMarkers (black & gray) for 69$us

http://www.angolz.com/home/productDetails....?PLU=0000107008

Check this links, i think the better prices online are here:

HWJapan, Bandai Alto Custom 3600Yen + 1230Yen SAL - Only 1 in Stock!!!

http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/BAN155525.aspx

Angolz Bandai Ozma Custom 45$ + AirParcel 20.50$ I bought here my Ozma MK with 2 GundamMarkers (black & gray) for 69$us

http://www.angolz.com/home/productDetails....?PLU=0000107008

Thanks for those sites. Those are some great prices!

Kenny