CG Tetsujin 28 Movie

All the designs look pretty close to the original, except for the boy. They even kept the wonky old school robots. That's nice. It means that the Gatchaman film will also be closely inspired on the original series. It's odd that so far we've seen more footage of Tetsujin than Gatchaman, BTW. I thought T-28 was schedule for release after Gatchaman.

From the little bit I've seen, looks pretty dang sweet. Didn't really see/follow the orig series, but this seems to do it justice, at first glance. The char design for the kid does seem a bit out of place though...

Could make old-school giant robots cool all over again... ^_^

Hmmm. Compare that to the Japanese live-action version here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL7I_0_ogM0

The CG work is indeed more refined on the Imagi version. However, while I did think the Japanese version was awful until now, in comparison with the Imagi one I have found a few things which stand out.

Firstly, there are a lot more scenes with visual impact in the Japanese one: The Tokyo Tower scene, the smashing of the windows, it all seems wonderfully choreographed. Secondly, they were right to place it in 1950s Tokyo. Like Godzilla, Tetsujin is a tale as much about post-war Japan and the fragility of Tokyo as it is about the giant battles and little kids. The Imagi one is... what is this, New York?

Lastly, the Imagi character designs are right out of Final Fantasy and seem completely out of place. If anything, either update the robot designs or retro the characters. At the moment it looks like two different shows.

My two yen. B))

I pretty much agree with Renato on the character designs and choice of setting. It's very odd that they went with character designs that would look more at home in Advent Children, paired up with the classic Mitsuteru Yokoyama robot designs, and even villain costumes from what I could see. The whole production would have that much more visual oomph if they had worked with character designs more reminiscent of the originals.

I also can't help but feel we've been kinda spoiled by Yasuhiro Imagawa's take on Mitsuteru Yokoyama's works. The man's a fantastic director, and Giant Robo showed you can really update the old style designs and make them work for a modern production while keeping that oldschool feeling to them.

Also, what's with the voice acting? That was pretty terrible. I hope that's just because this is test footage, and not indicative of the voice work we can expect of the actual movie.