KAAAAHHHHNNN!!!!!

Knight26

Oh no. He WILL be missed.

I remember Nicholas Meyer talking about Ricardo in the Star Trek II commentary and he says that he essentially asked Montalbán why he had not done more artistic things in his career like Shakespeare. Montalbán apparently answered that such opportunities were not commonly available to people of Hispanic origin in the early part of his career.

I also like this bit from his Wikipedia page.....

"There were some questions initially as to whether Montalbán had prosthetic muscles applied to his chest during filming of Star Trek II to make him appear more muscular, on account of his being over 60 years old at the time. Montalbán and others associated with the production of Star Trek II have disputed this, most notably Leonard Nimoy in his book I Am Spock, citing the fact that he was always physically active and worked out regularly, and those really were his muscles. The theory that those chest muscles were Montalban's own is furthered by an episode of the Biography series about him, in which both William Shatner and Montalban's son say Ricardo worked out strenuously to achieve that look. Film clips and shots throughout the episode bolster these claims, as they evidence a man in fine physical shape even into the 1970s."

I know that there was a LOT more to his career than his two appearances in Trek, but for many of us that was his defining role and the coolest character that he played.

And the way he quoted Moby Dick at the end of Star Trek II.

"From Hells heart, I stab at thee. For hates sake, I spit my last breath at thee......."

RIP Ricardo.

Sob...he will be missed. One of the more memorable villians on screen, and one of the more memorable actors for me, personally, due to the fact that I'm a big fan of Fantasy Island. Sigh...

First, Raul Julia. Now another great Hispanic thespian is gone...

I must catch the Oscars Award show obituary section later this year. He should definitely be featured there. sigh...

Edited by blacklotus

:( that's to bad he was a great man, did so many roles that either fit him to a T or were just meant for him.

First time I ever saw him was Star Trek II, And then the Planet of the Apes series, and the last time I think I even heard his voice was doing Kim Possible TV series.....I thinnkkk, either that or a very close impression.

I'll miss that man, he was one of my favorite old actors.