Official Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.2

Graham

That's good to know. I'd been thinking of putting together a nekkid Alto, and a Super Luca. Might be the cheapest way of doing that...

Well, I think you might be happier with a Super Alto and a nekkid Luca. Honestly, I don't like the super parts too much on the Luca. It makes it look too busy b/c of the Radar dish. I plan to post some pictures of my Luca in a few days with and without armor (in Fighter mode) and maybe a few pics of the ghosts and battroid mode.

That's what I wasn't sure of either. I just bought a second Alto to use one of my 3 super packs with.....seemed like too much work to disassemble a built kit to put the super parts on. Going to leave my Ozma clean cause I don't want to cover up the Skull logo. So I'll definately have a Super Alto and Michael, a clean Ozma, but I wasn't sure which way to go with Luca. If/ when they release an armoured Ozma, I just buy a bundle set, not worth the effort to buy a separate set...if they do that.

Chris

That's good to know. I'd been thinking of putting together a nekkid Alto, and a Super Luca. Might be the cheapest way of doing that...

Well, the Bundled pack for Alto has the missile covers moulded in red plastic, and I'm not sure if they provide the correct stickers to make it green for Luca-- so unless you are going to paint your VF anyway, I'd recommend waiting for the inevitable Super Luca bundle, and get a plain Alto with that. This option would probably be cheaper as well, since now both the Super Alto and Luca are at full price, but the plain Alto is already on 10 or 20% discount.

Mission complete: Atmospherical SuperParts!

More pics here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...m&album=308

That looks great! I kinda wish you had a better camera though :p Was it very time consuming to put on the decals/Stickers for the Super parts? That is about the only thing keeping me from starting on my Super Alto now-- the Super parts seem to have even more decaling/stickering needed compared to the VF itself

Hmm.. those are for the DX toy, not the model kit. I wish we would have new announcements about the model kit though!

can someone translate the interview in the following pages? 18 and 19 seem to have an interview, i believe its kawamori but i'm not sure.

...That looks great! I kinda wish you had a better camera though :p ...

:ph34r:

I took my fathers camera and made some shots at the rudimentary wire peg:

wire1h.th.jpgwire2v.th.jpgwire3.th.jpg

backvf25s.th.jpgzenitalvf25s.th.jpgfrontvf25so.th.jpg

And decaling>/stickering Superparts is an entertaining, but i can´t say the same thing about positioning

:ph34r:

I took my fathers camera and made some shots at the rudimentary wire peg:

wire1h.th.jpgwire2v.th.jpgwire3.th.jpg

backvf25s.th.jpgzenitalvf25s.th.jpgfrontvf25so.th.jpg

And decaling>/stickering Superparts is an entertaining, but i can´t say the same thing about positioning

That's ingenious! Do the legs fall down when you pose it in fighter mode without the peg?

It is clear parts. You can clearly see the clear yellow add-on runner in the pictures on 1999.co.jp. ^_^

Hey--so it is! Judging from the shade of yellow in the picture, I guess I'll have to see if I'll need to modify it somehow.

But at the very least, it wasn't just clear plastic like the visor on the first Alto kit, although that was nothing that some tinting couldn't take care of.

Well, the Bundled pack for Alto has the missile covers moulded in red plastic, and I'm not sure if they provide the correct stickers to make it green for Luca-- so unless you are going to paint your VF anyway, I'd recommend waiting for the inevitable Super Luca bundle, and get a plain Alto with that. This option would probably be cheaper as well, since now both the Super Alto and Luca are at full price, but the plain Alto is already on 10 or 20% discount.

That depends on whether the Super Luca kit comes with Ghosts or not. That's half of why I really want that kit! As far as the covers, I care not. I was actually thinking the RVF might look good in classic ELINT colors.

That depends on whether the Super Luca kit comes with Ghosts or not. That's half of why I really want that kit! As far as the covers, I care not. I was actually thinking the RVF might look good in classic ELINT colors.

Well it all depends on your schedule then! Bandai hasn't released any information about the April model kit releases, but I'm guessing that it will just be Super Luca and Super Michael, maybe Armoured Alto or Ozma, given the lack of information we have had about the other designs like the VF-171, VF-27 etc. So if you could wait one month you would be able to save money even if you went for Super Alto+ Luca, since the prices would have dropped abit by then. If you can't wait, then by all means enjoy! ^_^ I would be very interested to see your ELINT paint scheme.

Well it all depends on your schedule then! Bandai hasn't released any information about the April model kit releases, but I'm guessing that it will just be Super Luca and Super Michael, maybe Armoured Alto or Ozma, given the lack of information we have had about the other designs like the VF-171, VF-27 etc. So if you could wait one month you would be able to save money even if you went for Super Alto+ Luca, since the prices would have dropped abit by then. If you can't wait, then by all means enjoy! ^_^ I would be very interested to see your ELINT paint scheme.

Whoa, yeah, I have to wait. In addition to my wife being pregnant, I might be moving in 3 months, and I'm trying to finish off at least 2 models before I buy anymore. I want to finish my Hasegawa 1a, and either the Valley Gunship or Starfury before I give in. It's good to hear that the prices are dropping, then! It'll probably be mid-summer before I can worry about these aspirations... :wacko: Meh, I'll probably just end up collecting unbuilt & half-built kits like my father & his father before me...

But I desperately want a 171!

Wow, just got done trying to water slide decal the top half of one ghost....won't be doing that for the others. I ******** hate water slide decals! They ripped and keep coming off. I can say it took me way longer than expected and I uttered more than a few choice expletives during the process. Ugh, why didn't it just come with stickers instead...

Wow, just got done trying to water slide decal the top half of one ghost....won't be doing that for the others. I ******** hate water slide decals! They ripped and keep coming off. I can say it took me way longer than expected and I uttered more than a few choice expletives during the process. Ugh, why didn't it just come with stickers instead...

it took me longer to decal a single ghost (both top and bottom), than to complete build the luca valkyrie with panel lines and stickers.

its a real bummer.

up till today, i hav only managed to finish 2 ghosts

it took me longer to decal a single ghost (both top and bottom), than to complete build the luca valkyrie with panel lines and stickers.

its a real bummer.

up till today, i hav only managed to finish 2 ghosts

Do your decals keep coming up? Mine don't seem to stay put very well at all.

Kelsain: Model kits drop in price pretty fast, and rarely go out of stock in the year of issue, because it is so easy (and therefore cheap) to produce more kits based on the same mould so manufacturers would rather oversaturate the market than underproduce (leading to the price drop). You can save up to 10 or 20% of the price if you wait even 1 month! The plain Alto at HWJ is now only 3600 yen, down from 4500 yen for example.

Re: Ghost decals: +1 about the frustration. Maybe Bandai will give a sticker sheet with the Super Luca :p

Do your decals keep coming up? Mine don't seem to stay put very well at all.

i use mr. hobby's mark setter for all my decals,

and then when it all dries i apply a layer of clear coat using a brush :)

yeah i had bad experiences applying decals for my first Alto,

when everything came off as soon as i started transforming it :(

hell it came off even if i touched it

talk about learning things the HARD way

i had to have a lot of patience doing the decals.

sometimes you have to wait for a decal to dry, apply clear coat,

and then only proceed to apply any neighboruing decals.

definitely, you need to finish the top part of the ghost,

before starting to apply decals for the bottom part (or vice versa)

js wanna share more pics on how awesome the model kits have turned out,

despite me being pretty much a noob at model kits.

i'm glad that they have done a pretty good job at stopping me from buying the DX till now

the 1/72 super messiah battroid mode can actually stand on its own pretty well...

IMG_0104.jpg

here's a pic of my luca with 3 ghosts from sometime ago (decals barely finished for 1.5 ghosts)

its really an awesome display

IMG_0098.jpg

here's a pic of my luca with 3 ghosts from sometime ago (decals barely finished for 1.5 ghosts)

its really an awesome display

IMG_0098.jpg

Awesome B)) , already orderer my RVF-25 and superparts for it. ^_^

I plan use water decals, I wonder if the mark setter is enough or its really needed the coat.

BTW, where I can orderer mr. hobby's mark setter ?

oh i meant the back part sags, but it can stand and balance by its own :)

Thanks for clarifying. It's so sad that the 1/72 model kit is so beautiful but sags-- which mean it can't be posed properly in gerwalk on the SMS stands =(

By the way, do you still have your Luca sticker sheet? I kinda screwed up the sticker placement on my Luca and I'm hoping to find a replacement sheet.

I'm also looking for Alto and Ozma sticker sheets for a custom build, I've posted in the Wanted forums but just thought I'd post it here as well. Please PM me if you can help! I'm willing to pay a nominal fee+postage. Thanks. ^_^

You know, I didn't think about this until now, but does anyone have a scan of the Ghost's decals? That way we could just print stickers ourselves if the image was the right size?

That's a great idea! I would be willing to pay for those stickers. I don't have a scanner though, bummer.

Kelsain: Model kits drop in price pretty fast, and rarely go out of stock in the year of issue, because it is so easy (and therefore cheap) to produce more kits based on the same mould so manufacturers would rather oversaturate the market than underproduce (leading to the price drop). You can save up to 10 or 20% of the price if you wait even 1 month! The plain Alto at HWJ is now only 3600 yen, down from 4500 yen for example.

Sweet. After some discussion, we've decided that I should do something relaxing until we find out when we'll have to move. Time to get back to that 1A... That much closer to my 25.

About the Ghosts markings on the RVF-25, i always thought Bandai would either do as they've done till now and have both Decals and Stickers or just the Stickers. They went with only Decals wich for those (like me) who dread decals is a real bummer.

I've started work on one of the Ghosts, alternating its contruction with that of my VF-25F, while parts of one are drying i mess with the other. That way, i keep myself busy and don't rush with either. Rushing is what has gotten me into trouble in the past.

As for the Gosts, i started by making a rough assembly of the larger fuselage parts (without snaping them into place). Because i won't use the decals except where absolutely necessary, i immediatly dismissed some large ones wich are used to "color" the green parts grey. I masked them where necessary and sprayed them with Mr. Surfacer 1000, wich as it turns out, is almost the exact same shade of grey as the Ghost. After it dried i removed the mask and brushed the parts with Future. That was it. As for the grey parts i've aplied Promodelers black wash and the panel lines came out quite nice.

I'll spend tonight getting some screen caps of the Ghosts to check what else needs painting. Right now the only spot i know of are the exaust ports.

I'll post more as i progress in both the Gosts and the VF-25F.

If your decals rip then you tried to move them without sufficient water as lubrication. Just put the decal on the model and then wet your finger and touch the decal so that one drop of water transfers. That way you can pretty much freely move it around until it fits perfectly. Remoisten if necessary

Despite the name "water slide" decals, I would really not recommend using water to apply them. Invest in some micro-sol decal solvent. It'll practically melt your decals to the body of your valk, and with a nice clearcoating will make them look like they were painted on instead of applied.