Call of Duty

Coota0

Downloaded the Demo, seemed like a cross between Medal of Honor and BF:1942, but in a good way. You're not on your own like Medal of Honor, but there's more of a story and you're not wuite as expendable as BF:1942. I was wondering if anybody had it, because I wanted to know how the other levels in the game compared to the demo.

Call of Duty is truly awesome. I'm halfway through the British campaign and the levels thus far have been awe inspiring. Taking and defending Pegasus Bridge on D-Day has to be one of the most intense single player levels I've played to date. The AI for your team is actually quite good, even better than your average online player at times.

I haven't devoted too much time to the multi player mode yet, but it seems to be a mixed bag. The team deathmatches are just that; straight up run 'n' gun frag fests. The slower, objective based missions play more like the current tactical FPS games, due to the lack of a respawn.

All in all, it's definitely worth the money. The graphics and level sizes alone are impressive enough, considering the game is built on the aging Quake 3 engine.

I also downloaded the CoD Demo, it has good squad based AI which makes youf feel like you're part of the squad. Not some Rambo-esque one man killing machine. The graphics and gameplay is a lot better than the average WWII FPS. B))

i acquired it and installed it on a whim..man was i hooked. i only did the first 2 missions but this game is quite intense. i love how concussion blasts make you deaf, your vision goes blurry, and your movements are slurred. on the easy level its quite easy (imagine that) and fun to play (if you consider war to be fun). the graphics are quite nice, the key controls are your standard FPS style. audio was well done with bullets whizzing all around me. sometimes though your AI comrades get in the way and they'll simply stop firing and stand there as they wait for YOU to clear out the enemy. haha no riding on anyone's coat tails here.

well worth a purchase.

sometimes though your AI comrades get in the way and they'll simply stop firing and stand there as they wait for YOU to clear out the enemy. haha no riding on anyone's coat tails here.

Heh. My friend kind of complained about that. It might not be completely "realistic" but what fun would it be for your team to play the entire game for you? I like how, when you approach a teammate who's positioned at a corner or barricade, they'll stand aside and let you man that post.

Edited by bsu legato

Heh. My friend kind of complained about that. It might not be completely "realistic" but what fun would it be for your team to play the entire game for you? I like how, when you approach a teammate who's positioned at a corner or barricade, they'll stand aside and let you man that post.

yeah exactly so i can sort of see the design principle of stoping gameplay until you clear a section. another thing is that it is rather guided and not a truly open environment..seems we're still stuck with just variations on the old wolfenstien map principles. its also annoying that you cant climb over simple fences! the grenade also needs a better targeting mechanism instead of cross hairs.

another thing (and this isnt a fault of the game) is that in the heat of the action it gets hard distinguishing enemies and good guys.

its also annoying that you cant climb over simple fences!

Yeah, that did kind of bug me too. I guess games aren't quite "there" yet where we'll have that freedom. Maybe with HL2....?

the grenade also needs a better targeting mechanism instead of cross hairs.

That didn't bother me at all. I guess I'm just used to eyeballing the trajectory, from my many hours of playing DoD and Goldeneye. All I can suggest is practice. You do seem to throw them a little far, though. Almost too far.

another thing (and this isnt a fault of the game) is that in the heat of the action it gets hard distinguishing enemies and good guys.

Eh, war is hell. They should just learn to keep their heads down. :D

Have you tried multiplayer yet?

If your still deciding on the purchase, the new PC Gamer has a demo disk with an additional level not found online. I'm still on the fence on this one. Beatifully scripted events and team-like combat vs. the same ol' stale WWII theme is my conflict. Good reviews so far though...

i got the first day, and i've been hooked. this game rocks!

i loved the russian levels that were taken out of the "enemy at the gates" openin sequence. everyone should check it out.

if you think you have a hard time seperating people in the single player, wait till you get to multiplayer.. i spend more time just staring to make sure who's who.

Have you tried multiplayer yet?

no i have no friends to play with :) how is it?

I haven't put enough hours into multiplayer to have a concrete opinion yet, but here's my initial imprssions:

The weapons are a little too accurate when "shooting from the hip". If a game includes the iron sights as an option, then it should reward you for using them. As a result, you still see some people running around spraying the countryside with bullets. But that's only a small irritant.

I'll probably pass on the straight-up deathmatch levels, both the team-based and the free for all levels. It's kind of fun for a while, but otherwise it's just the same old stuff.

The objective based levels are much more fun. You see an immediate shift in play style, as people suddenly become a heckuva lot more cautious since they only have one life. Many of the levels are positively huge, so even the 733t snipers have to watch out, or they get outflanked and smacked with a rifle butt. :D

Edited by bsu legato

• 4 months later...

I'm the odd man out

I think it's boring and other than graphics has no improvement over MOHAA

which I still consider alot of fun to play

This is the Multiplayer scene though, as for Single, I do consider the missions much more professional and have a ver (for as far as I am allowed to claim) real feel to it

But for me to keep playing a game it needs fun MP, which MOHAA wins hands down

(although I recently got a little more in BF Desert Combat)

Played the FarCry demo,...now that's moving forward in gameplay

The gfx are so much better then MOH.

Shove every setting up to high and MOH cant compete.

My only gripe with the game is that when you run around, or watch other people run around to be more precise, it looks as though theyve crapped their pants :D

I play online all the time, am in a clan called Black Watch UK. [bW-UK]

We have our own server (UK server mind) so if you guys are looking for a fun place to play then come and join in the fun :D

www.bw-uk.co.uk

I played the demo and was quite impressed by the immersiveness.

I got BF:1942 and like it alot (gotta love hopping in a tank and blowing up some nazis) but it just doesn't seem as realistic as CoD.

The demo blew me away... the concussions of the mortars... crashing airplanes... parachuting soldiers... dead cows littering a field... very very impressive and immersive.

Plus, it has iron sights unlike BF:1942 which I like.

I've been tempted to get it... I like how alot of these games are starting to include the Russian side of things because people tend to forget the Commies were even in WWII... and that they were America's friends at the time :lol:

Vostok 7

Time for the old fool to chime in on this game! :lol:

I personally loved it. I got it looooong ago when it first came out and played it till my eyes bled... well, more precisely I replayed it several times as it has to be one of the shortest games on the PC I have ever played. But the candle that burns twice as bright burns twice as fast so they say.

I played multiplayer at work with the game and found it to be meh so so, very common and much like all the other shoot-em-up multiplayer games. It added very little and repeated most of it's themes from games that have come before. As others have said if you liked MoH then CoD multiplayer is very very similair just with boosted graphics.

As for the single player game (what the game is supposed to be, this game IMHO is not a multiplayer game at heart) it is one of the most harrowing and frentic FPS games I have ever played. Not so much twich fighting like some games but just the feel of the game... the embiance... sells it way better than any FPS I have played. Sure MoH is WWII, sure it has the same guns and more missions... but it does not match the sheer terror you start feeling in your gut when you hear those Tiger tanks rolling on the ville... or the sweat that starts to form on your forehead as you race through Normandy in a car in what has to be the best rail shooter level I have ever seen. To put it bluntly CoD is one big scripted interactive FPS "movie"... most of what you do is pre-scripted in that every level, everything you do in the game, has really only one outcome and one solution. You just have to get to that point in one piece... your squad need not get there with you. The game has very little to no actual "randomness" to it... every encounter, every fight and every bad guy to a great degree is programmed to do one general thing at a certain time. It makes the game feel so real and interactive the first time through but the second and third time you are almost playing the game like: take two steps, turn right, shoot three guys that come out of the door, stop, wait, shoot more guys that come from the door, go in door, go up stairs, turn left, shoot two guys... etc. etc.

My $0.02: buy the game cheap if you can get it, experience the single player game one time through... oh and be a man and put the difficulty on high, the game is just no fun when you take shot after shot to the head and keep walking... then when you tire of it sell it.

This is my favorite game. Period. My grandfather attached to the 101st (he was a glider pilot. Crazy man) , and this game is remarkably close to the actualy events. Heck, the first several levels are taken DIRECTLY from Easy Companies experiences in Normandy. Read "Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose (or watch the film) and you'll see what I mean. This is first game that I have ever been emotionally attached to. I was absoulutely drained (and sweating like a pig) after several missions in this game. At the end, i nearly cried. It was awesome. You can feel the desperation, and the courage it took to do the things that these guys had to do. Truely incredible "game". I really don't like calling it a game. My dad asked me if it was fun, and I said, "Well, as fun as war can be, I guess." Buy it now.

Edited by GreatMoose

While it is scripted in parts, the game is also heavily dynamic thanks to the brilliant ai. You really get the feeling of fighting side by side with other troops and chaos of battle.

Multiplayer is a mix bad IMO. It is more realistic than most mp shooters but that is a bad thing at times.

I've moved on to other games after about 1-2 months of CoD. It's a great game and I don't play FPS that much anymore.

The missions feel great and they do a great job of immersion. I really enjoyed the 101st Airborne's first missions, but I really want to chime in for the British Airborne. The game's depiction for taking and holding the bridge (Op.Pegasus?) was riveting, chaotic, and exciting. Never mind that I got killed more times than I could count but starting over each time did not annoy me one bit. Rarely does that happen for me on numerous restarts.

I had 3 beefs against CoD:

1. It was waaay to short. It was a very good ride but it was too short.

2. All the immoble machineguns were MG42's. Surely there's space for having Allied positions with their respective MGs like the Bren, M1919, etc. Not to mention unlimited ammo for these was annoying.

3. Simplification of armored warfare. Hit X tank Y times and it blows, regardless of where you hit it and what size gun your tank (or the Germans') was.

You can take a grain of salt with what I said of No.3 since I play wargames alot and stuff like Combat Mission have made me a minor league Grog.

Edited by Warmaker

Fun while it lasted but it could really have used a D-Day invasion map.

Russians landing on the banks of Stalingrad isn't quite the same.

I could have gone for some North Africa or Italian missions as well.

Fantastic game nonetheless. Felt a lot like I was in an Indiana Jones car chase at times with the same music.

Plus you get to absolutely whore the PPSh-41.

Understatement. I've been killed by more people with PPSh's and grenades randomly thrown around than by every other method in the game combined. But once I find a good concealed position, let the body count commence.

Edited by VF19