Toynami/Tamashii(Bandai) Macross SDCC coverage-1/55, 1/100, et al

Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

how about updating the arms and gunpod so that the gunpod can be mounted in fighter mode?

That, and thigh swivels, universal hip joints, as well as clip on missles, and I could call it a day. As is the 1/55 remains awesome, so even without, I will still buy some.

I am very excited to see where all of this goes. Now I wonder if anyone here is attending the Toynami panel at SDCC. I know the Robotech panel already happened yesterday, and I was sifting through news on the chunkies but found nothing.

That, and thigh swivels, universal hip joints, as well as clip on missles, and I could call it a day. As is the 1/55 remains awesome, so even without, I will still buy some.

I am very excited to see where all of this goes. Now I wonder if anyone here is attending the Toynami panel at SDCC. I know the Robotech panel already happened yesterday, and I was sifting through news on the chunkies but found nothing.

What Toynami panel? I don't see that in the schedule...

We went to the Robotech panel and it was pretty much about how they can't say anything about anything. Pretty much a waste of time other than jerking off the RT fanboys.

Where are you getting this info?

A couple of months back, there was a podcast and some of the people working for Tamashii in the states were hinting at huge announcements for Tamashii at SDCC. Currently, all that has been shown is whats in their booth, and SDCC always has panels, with the booths updated soon afterwards. I haven't heard much news from Tamashii from SDCC, so I think their huge announcements are for tomorrow or sunday. Also the Macross F site has a new update and mentions 7/27, so I think we will see something quite soon.

That would kinda suck. I am sure it wont have revoltech status but hopefully much better than the matchbox.

Honestly, it looks like a typical Toynami "original" which means it just looks like an update of the old Matchbox with a slightly better sculpt. It has better proportions then the Revoltech but design wise the RT version is more exciting. And the pins on the knee make me nervous. It should have a ratcheted joint to support the top heavy design. Still, I give them kudos for making it. It's about time someone recognizes the enemy mech as something that is as important to the show. Man I can't believe how cool those things look when they started popping out of the water. I hope they decide to add GI Joe Size figure to fit in there and make a matching Glaug. If they start to make those things then I think I'll go back and collect the valks. I'm probably the 1/100's worst critic. We'd need the power armors too! Sure the regult has my interest now but I think it'll be more of the same. After 5 years of waiting, I'll get over it.

I don't know anything about a Toynami panel and I've never known George Sohn to be much of a public speaker. And the Robotech panel are pretty useless when it comes t information. We sat there and all they talked about is the history of Robotech, like we haven't heard it before. Actually Tommy Yune was the only one that talked. Steve Yun looked like he was too embarrassed to be part of the whole thing and tried to look to cool for Robotech. When it came time to talk about the toys Yune had no idea what they were. He had no idea what scale the Megahouse was or what their name even was. He reiterated everything we heard about the movie. But didn't confirm any of it. I understand that they can't talk about it, but the whole panel didnt really give us any scoop or dishes like all panels usually do.

Steve Yun looked like he was too embarrassed to be part of the whole thing and tried to look to cool for Robotech.

When I was at AMA 2 years ago, when asked about toys, Steve Yun started with "well back in the day the old school Macross toys were 1/50 scale".....

Thats when I knew...yeah....the Robotech panels are not the greatest source of toy information.

Still hoping Tamashii has a panel of some sorts.

People have got to get over this 'exciting new design!' fallacy. The revoltech can barely stand. Seriously - if you want any kind of interesting pose at all, it'll take you a half hour to get the revoltech to stand up w/o immediately flopping over. Don't give anyone ANY credit for an 'exciting new design' that sucks. If you made an 'exciting new' airplane design that dropped out of the sky, would anyone want to buy it?

Toynami builds off of time-tested and proven designs, which is probably why they have fewer major problems with their toys than Yamato does (yes, that is a fact). Now, the Yamato 1/48 Valk is a 'home run' in the sense that it's fairly original and it works very well. But their 'original design' philosophy has also turned out a lot of duds. It's a risk. I guess you can give a company some points for originality, but I give a helluva lot more points for something that works well and doesn't break. :lol:

The Revoltech comes with a stand, there's no way you can make a regult toy that can do so many dynamic poses and expect it to stand on it's own. You can probably get away with just the standard pose and that's it without a stand.

Toynami builds off time tested designs because they don't have the innovation to make new ones. The only reason they have less reported problems because they get taken out of the box much less than a much more playable Yamato. Seriously, you're gonna compare a real japanese toy manufacturer to an American knock off company that's better off importing real toys?

I also don't agree with ShaggyDog on this one.

I will note that the Toynami 1/100 seems to borrow a lot (engineering-wise) from the Kaiyodo Gashapon Regult (not the Revoltech). The Gashapon figure isn't all that bad to pose so while it may not be as insanely fun (or frustrating depending on your POV) as the Revoltech it probably isn't as bad as some may suspect.

The Toynami Masterpiece VF's were hated for many reasons, aesthetic and political, but there was not widespread breakage in that line. Check the threads. Breakage is MUCH more common in the Yamato valkyrie lines.

The Toynami Masterpiece Alphas suffered from minor breakage, but the more significant problem is that they simply didn't transform well.

The Toynami Masterpiece Voltron hasn't had any real problems that I'm aware of.

The 1/100 toynami valks were loose in the first run, and the second run has some cracked shoulders, but I'm unaware of any arms actually breaking off.

Overall, not a bad record, as far as breakage and stability are concerned. When you open a Toynami, you don't flinch at the thought of transforming the toy. :lol:

The Toynami Masterpiece VF's were hated for many reasons, aesthetic and political, but there was not widespread breakage in that line. Check the threads. Breakage is MUCH more common in the Yamato valkyrie lines.

The Toynami Masterpiece Alphas suffered from minor breakage, but the more significant problem is that they simply didn't transform well.

The Toynami Masterpiece Voltron hasn't had any real problems that I'm aware of.

The 1/100 toynami valks were loose in the first run, and the second run has some cracked shoulders, but I'm unaware of any arms actually breaking off.

Overall, not a bad record, as far as breakage and stability are concerned. When you open a Toynami, you don't flinch at the thought of transforming the toy. :lol:

Do you work for Toynami?

jeebus, can we kill that kind of comment already. MW is pro-Yamato enough without everytime someone says something positive about another manufacturer members and mods here trying to undercut that person for their opinion accusing them of having some sort of ulterior motive.

jeebus, can we kill that kind of comment already. MW is pro-Yamato enough without everytime someone says something positive about another manufacturer members and mods here trying to undercut that person for their opinion accusing them of having some sort of ulterior motive.

I am sorry.

You are right.

But I am still curious.

I mean if I worked for a company that made Macross toys I would be on this forum.

Edited by miriya

Do you work for Toynami?

No, he is just stating the truth.

Very true.

I mean if I worked for a company that made Macross toys I would be on this forum.

I wouldn't. From my experience moderating forums(not here, elsewhere), most fans don't know why certain decisions are made, and are quick to cast judgement without ever listening to logic, nor using it, and with most, you can't change their minds even if the company tells them the brutally honest truth.

JoshB from collectiondx is meeting with Toynami today, so hopefully he can squeeze out whatever information he can find for upcoming chunkies and hopefully a Frontier release.

WTF? Are you talking about? Which mod accused them of having an ulterior motive? because i'm the only mod that replied? How about you quit bringing up the fact that I'm a mod when ever you don't like the reply! How's that for having a motive?

And here I was about to come in and undercut people for having ulterior motives...

While we can normally blame EXO for anything, I'm totally agreeing with EXO here.

(I swear, my mod-sense was tingling when I first clicked on the thread)

WTF? Are you talking about? Which mod accused them of having an ulterior motive? because i'm the only mod that replied? How about you quit bringing up the fact that I'm a mod when ever you don't like the reply! How's that for having a motive?

Wow, a little sensitive? It was a general statement not meant to single out any member or mod or even this instance of a person having their opinion returned with insinuation.

Both of them should work together to give the fans the toys that don't break and stop fighting each other. :)

Toynami just let yamato make the alpha and beta (legioss and tread) fighters already. Then re-release robotech versions of them with characters from shadow chronicles with toynami changes to them.

We all just want something that doesn't self destruct after a few seconds looking at it.

So does anyone know if jack archer as a chunky munky would ever happen? That'd be cool! :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Wow, a little sensitive? It was a general statement not meant to single out any member or mod or even this instance of a person having their opinion returned with insinuation.

Jenius, don't act dumb. Read your post again and check yourself. Don't make an accusation and try to brush it off. It's passive-aggresive.