Frontier's Hippocows

wolfx

It just made me wonder why cows and why hippos? Are they real mythical japanese creatures or something? Why not Rhino-chickens or Monkey Fish. :lol:

Or better yet the grape-hippo from gurren lagann. :lol:

It just made me wonder why cows and why hippos? Are they real mythical japanese creatures or something? Why not Rhino-chickens or Monkey Fish. :lol:

Or better yet the grape-hippo from gurren lagann. :lol:

oh man. the grape hippos. weirdest.animal.ever. not to mention, gives me goosebumps. i don't know why. :wacko:

Any more on Rhino-monkeys and Gorilla-fish and we'll have an episode of the Wuzzles. :lol:

Anyway, this is interesting, because I've never heard of this "Avatar" show before, and if I did it certainly didn't register. I did a bit of research and watched a couple of clips on youtube and was quite impressed with the level of design, plus according to Wikipedia the staff are really into anime, though that much was obvious. Then I went onto the official UK Nickelodeon site where the character illustrations all look really cheap and bright and totally clashing with the duller, more sombre palette of the show's actual visuals.

Interesting... Those two images on their own make Frontier look like the kiddy show by comparison. What an age we live in. :wacko:

I suppose it's a bit surprising because they're quite similar, the pose, the spots, the horns. But I don't mind, Avatar in itself is big on anime influencs, so.

case in point:

734.jpg

mononoke hime anyone?

mononoke.jpg

:)

Renato,

Avatar is pretty good, animation-wise and story-wise. had reservations before since i was wary of it being just another anime wannabe. but when i gave it a chance, i found myself liking it. action sequences are superb, and the anime influence is striking but it does not rely solely on its anime roots. if animation was food, i'd call avatar the best fusion recipe so far. :)

and besides, if you're gonna be influenced by any specific anime, you can't go wrong with a little hayao miyazaki. ;)

I suppose it's a bit surprising because they're quite similar, the pose, the spots, the horns. But I don't mind, Avatar in itself is big on anime influencs, so.

But here's the clincher...Frontier took from Avatar...not the other way round.

*Cue twilight zone music*

well i guess stranger things have happened.

Out of curiousity, are you guys able to track the credits for the naimation studios for the respective shows? It literally looks like they flipped the lineart and colored it differently. I was wondering perhaps if the sequences went to the same outsourced animators who just reused stuff.

That's fantastic. What an odd pair of companion pieces.

I agree with the comment made by one of the users on ogiue maniax; it's fascinating how the Japanese anime uses a western style setting while the American animation uses an asian style setting :)