The BEST valk?

dreadpyrat

Indeed, when I have the means to get the ones I want, that is the VF-1 and 25, I plan to make sure I'm getting the right ones. I'd like durability but I think the chunky monkeys are a little too chunky. I think those 1/60s from Yamato are looking quite good, and they will be recent so the QC might not be bad. The upshot to not having the money at the time is I can wait and see if they will turn out good so I know for sure. The VF-25 rolled out new prototype pics recently that is proving (as I suspected) that it is looking very good, and is set for a price of 12600 Yen (roughly $115). Although I've never made a habit of paying over $100 for anything in my collection (of stuff), these would be worthwhile investments I believe.

Indeed, when I have the means to get the ones I want, that is the VF-1 and 25, I plan to make sure I'm getting the right ones. I'd like durability but I think the chunky monkeys are a little too chunky. I think those 1/60s from Yamato are looking quite good, and they will be recent so the QC might not be bad. The upshot to not having the money at the time is I can wait and see if they will turn out good so I know for sure. The VF-25 rolled out new prototype pics recently that is proving (as I suspected) that it is looking very good, and is set for a price of 12600 Yen (roughly $115). Although I've never made a habit of paying over $100 for anything in my collection (of stuff), these would be worthwhile investments I believe.

I just hope that Bandai does the VF-25 justice. Although Yamato has put out some question marks in recent years, I still trust them to do a good job of making the complex designs of a Valkyrie a reality. I was traumatized by Bandai when I was 7 years old. I saved up my allowance for a few months to buy a VF-1J Hikaru that was made, I believe, by Bandai. It broke the same day I bought it. And it wasn't because I was some clumsy kid who was too rough with my toys. I took care of my stuff (I never lost any of the weapons to my Star Wars action figures). It just broke and there was no way to fix it with my limited skills at the time. So I swore off buying any more Bandai stuff. But that was a long time ago...

Hi all,

I am also a new member ( but I was lurking this board for a while now ), I had almost the same question as the original poster so thanks for all your commentaries.

For those who care I am planning on buying Roy Focker's fighter and it will probably be the new 1/60 scale.

PS : maybe by forum-fu is weak but I didn't find the "new members" board to introduce myself.

Xavier.

Hi all,

I am also a new member ( but I was lurking this board for a while now ), I had almost the same question as the original poster so thanks for all your commentaries.

For those who care I am planning on buying Roy Focker's fighter and it will probably be the new 1/60 scale.

PS : maybe by forum-fu is weak but I didn't find the "new members" board to introduce myself.

Xavier.

Welcome to MW! We don't have a new members thread, so no worries. I think the new 1/60 VF-1 is an excellent place to start. From the looks of it, yamato is getting on the ball with QC and the design looks great.

Hi, wow, thanks everyone! IO totally expected a "piss off n00b" response becasue that is how most forums are these days but you guys have been so helpful! I truly appreciate it. Well, to answer some of your questions....

I tend towards the "classic" macross designs. I really like the ones with all the huge boosters on the back (like the super ostrich) and the one with a skull and crossbones(Fokker?), and lastly, which ever models have a head design similar to that of JetFire. That's the toy I had when I was a kid and my unwitting introduction to Macross.

Is there one that captures all of that? ;)

I started off just like you. You like all the things I liked from when I was a kid. My first purchase was a Yamato VF-1S with a set of Super and Strike parts in the 1/48th scale. To me it represents everything Macross.

Hell I liked it so much I got two more so I can have all three modes being displayed at the same time :)

Hi all,

Xavier.

Bienvenue, mon ami. Ca va? I think your choice of going with Focker's 1S in 1/60 is a good one. You can't go wrong with the only valk that stays the same pretty much throughout the series and movie (accept when it's blown up in the movie...didn't like that). And the new 1/60 looks to be quite an improvement over previous versions.

Although this isn't the place to talk about the VF-25 from Bandai, I will say quickly that I advocated from the start that we couldn't judge until the final product, I stood by and said I thought it would get better when we had prototype pics of a horrid canopy hinge and a misshapen battroid, those have all gotten better so far and it still isn't done so I think it will turn out just find. Bandai has had a lot of time to get things right and they are well experienced. So I think it will turn out ok. Enough of that though back on topic, but I've given my thoughts on the 1/60 Yamatos so I think there isn't much more for me to say.

Well guys, you've given me a LOT to think about and again, I appreciate all the great feedback! So now I'm leaning towards the VF-0S Yamato 1/60 with Ghost booster. Truth be told, I prefer the look of the 0A in grey (I like the head design better) but if those shoulder joint issues are as bad as you say, then it doesn't make much sense to spend that much on a toy that will break.

Saw this on HLJ...too bad it s a plastic kit. If it was actual armor for the 1/60 Yamato, I'd be 100% sold!

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSG21

Well guys, you've given me a LOT to think about and again, I appreciate all the great feedback! So now I'm leaning towards the VF-0S Yamato 1/60 with Ghost booster. Truth be told, I prefer the look of the 0A in grey (I like the head design better) but if those shoulder joint issues are as bad as you say, then it doesn't make much sense to spend that much on a toy that will break.

I have two of the VF-0S's with the Ghost Booster and they are a huge improvement over the 0A's as far as the shoulders go. They are a lot tighter too. If you like the look of the stuff from Zero get the 0S with the booster. If you get one without the booster you may run into a problem with having the same problems as the 0A's. The only 0S's that I know of that have been updated are the ones that come with the Ghost. Maybe someone else here can help out on the accuracy of that.

Saw this on HLJ...too bad it s a plastic kit. If it was actual armor for the 1/60 Yamato, I'd be 100% sold!

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSG21

I'm hoping Yamato will release a toy version of the Reactive Armor as well. In fact, I started a whole Wishful Thinking Theadâ„¢ for it.

Edited by Dante74

OMG, THAT is the one! That is the one I've always wanted! Thanks fifbeat! My quest is over! ;)

Ok, seriously though. I'm back to wanting a 1/60 VF-1S again...does anyone know if it has poseable hands like the 1/48? Also, do you have to detach the legs to transform it? Someone was mention that about the 1/48s if I'm not mistaken.

Another couple of random questions:

1. Where can I find Super parts -not strike parts? (HLJ lists a Super parts set but it looks like its actually a strike set.)

2. Where do you guys get those cool clear 3 pronged support stands?

The 1/48s are perfect transformation, I saw a video detailing the transformation of one once so there is no detaching. I can't help with finding super parts but I think the 3 pronged stand you are referring to is a special Valkyrie stand Yamato makes that can hold any of their valks depending on how you set it up. Again I am not the person who can help if finding it but I think I saw it at toywiz.com. However I'll let people more in the know tell you if that is correct or the right place which to go.

Dreadpyrat, yes the new 1/60 VF-1S has poseable hands like the 1/48 (as in the fingers can be moved to grip a gunpod).

The new 1/60 VF-1 transforms using a T-bar that keeps the legs connected to the valkyrie the entire time, just like the 1/48 VF-1. The original 1/60 VF-1 valkyrie had removable legs for transformation into battroid mode.

You'll have to be a bit more clear on which version Super Parts you're looking for. 1/48 scale or the new 1/60 VF-1 Super Parts. If you were to pick up the new 1/60 VF-1S Strike Set. it comes with Strike parts and Super parts (the cannon can be replaced with the forward part of the Super pack).

The three pronged support stands are not made by Yamato, but I can't remember who makes them or where you can get them. Someone else can chime in and help you on this.

Oh, I see. I was thinking of a different stand than that. The one I was thinking of is made by Yamato and it supports 1/72 through 1/48 scale figures. It is on Toywiz under Robotech>Japanese Macross figures (sad that the site list Macross figures under Robotech...). Or a link to a picture of it from that site: Box pic of Yamato stand with Super VF-1J Max.

If I was getting only 1 valk it would have to be the Limited VF-1S weathered Roy! That's a thing of beauty. Not a big fan of the prestine white look.

/Gene

Where does one get the VF-1S "weathered Roy" from? (does anyone know if HLJ is likely to stock them at a later date?)

in all honesty the 1/48's transformation is "perfect" by technicality, you esentially do detach the legs from the plane, but after the 1/60 backlash, yamato added a loose bar that sorta holds on to them. the bar servers no real purpose (i guess maybe it has some locking mechanism for the folding torso, but it certainly adds nothing to the leg swinging motion).

the 1/55's have true perfect transformation imho in that the legs are BOLTED to the main body and swing on a pivot.

the 1/48 may as well be attached with a string.

not saying the 1/48 sucks but i dunno if i'm comfortable calling it perfect transformation.

Edited by KingNor

Sorry man, but that's really stretching there. No toy is going to accurately reproduce the VF-1 actual leg transformation sequence.

However, the 1/48 allows things that the 1/55 design won't allow. Namely the ability to swing the arms out for GERWALK without uncoupling the legs and also torso twist... as limited as that may be.

And the 1/48 swing bar design allows the legs to attach in the correct spot for battroid. Again, somthing that the 1/55 fails to do.

• 4 weeks later...