Akiba tribute

Alex

I'm sure that a lot of you have heard about the terrible thing that happened yesterday in Akiba. I won't go into the details.

I want to put up a thread to pay respect to the 7 people who died and show sympathy for the families and friends of those people.

It breaks my heart that such thing should happen at places like schools and now at a place where people go to escape and spend money for material stuff that makes them happy and bring peace to their souls. What breaks my heart even more is that they don't even have the chance to get home and enjoy their hard-earned loot. They are all in my prayers.

Edited by Beware of Blast

It breaks my heart that such thing should happen at places like schools and now at a place where people go to escape and spend money for material stuff that makes them happy and bring peace to their souls. What breaks my heart even more is that they don't even have the chance to get home and enjoy their hard-earned loot. They are all in my prayers.

You're sad because they don't get to go home and enjoy things that they've bought? How about feeling bad because they're never going to share another meal with their families, or walk on a beach, or celebrate a birthday?

Yours is a classic otaku response if I ever saw one.

What sucks is the media is again demonising anime/comics/games for the actions of a mentally disturbed guy.

http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=4835

And some ppl want their 30 seconds to fame.....

http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=4836

Exactly. Another psychopath's actions are swept under the rug by generalizations that are popular in the media right now...regardless of fact flying in the face of their assertions.

The loss is heartbreaking for those families, and it angers me. Those people will never come home again, their smiles won't be seen, their touch won't be felt, their love won't be given. THAT is the sickening tragedy of this little poo deciding to take others out instead of doing the world a favor and offing himself and leaving it at that.

This is very sad. I just saw the youtube news report. I can not imagine how anyone could just murder innocent people in cold blood like that. His mind must have been very twisted indeed. Such a tragedy.

You're sad because they don't get to go home and enjoy things that they've bought? How about feeling bad because they're never going to share another meal with their families, or walk on a beach, or celebrate a birthday?

Man, do you pick fights at funerals too?

What I feel about this event is what most regular folks would feel about a mass killing in Disneyland. Akihabara should be the happiest place on earth, not the scene of a massacre. Very disturbing.

The scariest thing about the attacks to me is the fact that I was in Akihabara two months ago. Plus, I also have a few friends that frequently visit Akiba. Luckily, none of them were there when it happened. I just wish the man's victims weren't so lucky.

Another creepy thing is that he had publicly announced his plan and to my limited knowledge nothing was done about it. Anyway, people like this need help before they do something like this.

I don't disagree with you. We do have many priorities in life and family do come first to many people including the victims - too bad it just wasn't enough for them to stay home and not go to Akiba. What I posted was without thinking too deeply into the matter because it was a very sad news. It has got nothing to do with a person's order of priorities. Bah, why do I bother. Nothing changes.

I wonder if Save is all right, he works in Akihabara AFAIK. Damn, I'm not gonna take my wife and kid to Akihabara again after this incident, unless they tighten the security.

It's really ironic. He said that he "no longer cared about the world" but did his very best to leave his impression on it.

I was actually planning on going to Akiba that day but canceled to have coffee with a friend.

The comment about Akiba being a happy place like Disney is what got me about this whole thing. It's a place where people go to get away from the real world. it shouldn't happen in a school, a nursery....and it shouldn't happen in a place like this.

BTW, it would be a coincidence but IS save ok?

Edited by Alex

This past weekend was suppose to have been great, my Birthday was on Saturday and I was going to head to Tokyo Toy Fest on Sunday to do my usual Macross toy hunting with friends. Just when I was about to head to Toy Fest I got word of what just happened and ran back to my apt and was glued to the TV till that evening. I spent my Sunday afternoon calling my co-workers, and friends that are usually in Akihabara on Sundays doing their usual routine.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I've spent the last 3 years living in Tokyo and 90% of that time in Akihabara being that I work here and love the otaku culture. Just about everyday I write and read threads here on MW while I'm suppose to be working (as I'm doing now), and most of the stuff I find for members comes from the shops here in Akihabara. I work in two buildings in Akihabara, the stabbing started right in front of our main office and ended in a back alley about 300 feet from where I'm writing this post now. The past two days have been a bit strange. I have to pass the site to do work, to go to lunch, and to come and go home, it's uneasy, and right unable to try and spend time looking for toys and such when there is free time.

I'm sorry for the friends and family of the seven killed, and hope everybody injured recovers.

Just read some of the added posted while I had been writing this one. Thank you guys for your concern, it does make a difference.

I believe Akihabara is a still a safe place, but always be cautious where ever you are in this world.

Edited by Save

Good to hear that you are ok, but doubly good considering how close it was to your office. That's pretty damn scary.

It's really weird for me too in a way. I've been in japan for years an i've been to Akiba more times than I care to mention. it's one of my places to go and get away from work etc. It's changed the way I feel about the place now.

I wonder if there will be a suspension of all the regular activities in the streets following this as a way of "mourning".

Edited by Alex

Damn, I'm not gonna take my wife and kid to Akihabara again after this incident, unless they tighten the security.

Give me a break, dude. Getting worried over a completely random act by an individual acting alone isn't something to get worried about because if something like that is going to end your life... it's going to end your life and there's nothing much you can do about it. It's just as likely to happen in Akihabara as anywhere else in this city. Akihabara isn't getting any more "dangerous" just because of one wacko. But sadly your point of view is the common way things are viewed here.

Ironically enough, people here have been complimenting Akihabara's "tightened security" ever since the street performer crackdown a few weeks ago and claiming that increased police presence apparently helped take Captain Stabbin' down quicker. All that increased presence was a cop too stupid to draw his gun until after the guy had finished stabbing people and put the knife down. Japanese police are incompetent.

post-22-1213074147_thumb.jpg

One of my classmates actually aw the guy drive into the crowd, as he and his friend were driving through Akihabara. But they didn't see the aftermath and assumed it was just a car accident until they got home and saw the news. Spooky.

Edited by yellowlightman

post-22-1213074147_thumb.jpg

Is this pic a recreation or the actual guy?

And the comment about the police. There was only one guy? Do you mean he just watched the guy stabbing those people yet didn't fire. I'm not sure of the details.

Edited by Alex

As much as I would offer my condolences to the families of the victims, this is still has very little to do with anime/sci-fi/movies/geek talk regardless of what the Japanese media may push into the limelight.