Mechanical Chain Base

I've been picking these up as they've been released but I haven't really tried making anything big out of them until now. The scale really seems targeted at 1/72, but it wouldn't be too hard to make them work for some 1/100 stuff.

I haven't painted them at all (yet). This is the result of 2 of each of them up through 008, although there are few pieces still unused and a bunch of accessories that aren't in the shot.

Is anyone else using these? Any creative combinations?

post-3943-1212852980_thumb.jpg

post-3943-1212852999_thumb.jpg

Edited by T0t0r0

totoro! Awesome use of the mechanical chain bases! I did not know that it was possible to do it like that with the levels. I have have 4 sets waiting for HLJ to send me payment request. I was thinking about getting more. Looks like you have a whole lot of them there. Thanks for sharing the pics. I cant wait to get mine.

totoro! Awesome use of the mechanical chain bases! I did not know that it was possible to do it like that with the levels. I have have 4 sets waiting for HLJ to send me payment request. I was thinking about getting more. Looks like you have a whole lot of them there. Thanks for sharing the pics. I cant wait to get mine.

FYI- the 007, 008, 009 and 010 sets are what let you set up the levels

I've been grabbing two of each whenever they are released (makes it seem like a small purchase that way)... so I guess I have 16 of them now since I haven't gotten 009 and 010 yet (not such a small purchase after all- YIKES!)

My display space is rather limited, so I only get to have about a fifth of my collection out a time- meaning the base diorama pieces are really just to mess with rather than something I can leave out. Plus, most of the pieces I leave out on display aren't really the right scale for the base. If I had the time to paint them up maybe I'd find a way to work them in. I guess I was starting this thread to see what anyone else is doing with them... for inspiration.

Here are a couple more pictures I took using Xabungle SoCs. I included most of the accessories that come with the base pieces, although there are plenty of the Xabungle accessories in there too. (If it's painted then it isn't part of the Mechanical Chain Base sets).

post-3943-1212900190_thumb.jpg

post-3943-1212900221_thumb.jpg

My display space is rather limited, so I only get to have about a fifth of my collection out a time- meaning the base diorama pieces are really just to mess with rather than something I can leave out. Plus, most of the pieces I leave out on display aren't really the right scale for the base. If I had the time to paint them up maybe I'd find a way to work them in. I guess I was starting this thread to see what anyone else is doing with them... for inspiration.

Here are a couple more pictures I took using Xabungle SoCs. I included most of the accessories that come with the base pieces, although there are plenty of the Xabungle accessories in there too. (If it's painted then it isn't part of the Mechanical Chain Base sets).

post-3943-1212900190_thumb.jpg

post-3943-1212900221_thumb.jpg

You should really connsider weathering and washing these. Also they need a serious douding of dull coat. AWWWWWWWE MY EYES!!! ^_^

Multiple sets of 001 setup as a 1/48 hangar - found these super cheap with no accessories with another MW member.

Needs detailing but good for a basic framework. Get at least 4 sets to accomodate a 1/48 or 1/60 in battroid mode.

post-1322-1212898895_thumb.jpg

post-1322-1212899066_thumb.jpg

post-1322-1212899401_thumb.jpg

post-1322-1212899646_thumb.jpg

post-1322-1212899815_thumb.jpg

post-1322-1212900067_thumb.jpg

post-1322-1212900834_thumb.jpg

post-1322-1212901026_thumb.jpg

post-1322-1212903391_thumb.jpg

post-1322-1212904970_thumb.jpg

post-1322-1212916367_thumb.jpg

post-1322-1212916474_thumb.jpg

post-1322-1212916745_thumb.jpg

The Mechanical Chain Base are awesome diorama pieces! I just can't find enough of them, and they're just not making enough either. I've been waiting on 01-03 and 07-10 forever.

I've only got three (04, 05, and 06) at the moment. They're pretty cheap, easy to assemble, and look good without any painting. I had thought about painting them, but after putting one together, it looked just fine. Maybe add some paint details to it. I'm not into the rustic look, so I'll just leave mines unaltered.

The Mechanical Chain Base work with almost anything and certainly help in making good looking photo shoots. I've only took a few photos of some stuff with them.

14-001_Black_Arachnia_0012.jpg

12-021_Japan_TRU_exclusive_Black_Arcee_0010.jpg

05-011_Duel_Maid_II_Overdrive_0012.jpg

Got some time to mess with the bases again today and came up with a different configuration that seems to work okay with 1/48. I haven't tried mixing in any of the 1/48 accessory vehicles yet... they might end up drawing attention to the actual scale difference between the sets and the figure.

post-3943-1213323418_thumb.jpg

post-3943-1213323444_thumb.jpg

Got some time to mess with the bases again today and came up with a different configuration that seems to work okay with 1/48. I haven't tried mixing in any of the 1/48 accessory vehicles yet... they might end up drawing attention to the actual scale difference between the sets and the figure.

Looks good so far. I'm not too bothered with keeping things in scale. :p That is a lot of pieces to use for a big setup like that.

Hey, Vf-2ss, i was wandering what toy that last lady with a gun is, and where could i buy it, it looks nice.

Hey Arthur. Sorry for the late reply. That figure is a small 4 inch posable action figure. They come in a box set of ten figures. Five original, and five repaints/remolds. They're called Duel Maid. Made by Atelier-Sai.

05-011_Duel_Maid_II_Overdrive_0014.jpg

I wouldn't recommend buying them unless you don't mind having tiny action figures of gashapon quality. If you have big hands, they'll be too fiddly, but I'm sure people in this hobby have plenty of experience with small toys.

I bought them from HLJ HERE.

I wrote up a quick review HERE.

Enjoy! ^_^

05-011_Duel_Maid_II_Overdrive_0013.jpg

Apologies to T0t0r0 for going off topic. :unsure:

Is there a scale to these backgrounds? They look so good but I would hate the accessories (stairs and lifts) to appear too small against a 1/48 or even a 1/60.

Exo, they're made by Kotobukiya, who also makes the Armored Core 1/72 scale kits. There's a silhouette of a Koto AC kit on the MCB box, so I'd say the MCBs are 1/72 scale.

Ruski, you're quite welcome! Always happy to help people get into this addiction. :lol:

Exo, they're made by Kotobukiya, who also makes the Armored Core 1/72 scale kits. There's a silhouette of a Koto AC kit on the MCB box, so I'd say the MCBs are 1/72 scale.

That is correct. It's ~ 1/100 (gundam) to 1/72 Armored Core/Macross scale. One set would be good for posing a single model kit for instance. The included figures are small though. Looks more 1/100 than 1/72 but I don't care. I'm going to use 1/48 figure kits from Hasegawa and Fujimi.

The base is 15x15 CM or ~ 6" x 6". The wall is 16 cm or ~ 6.25" tall.

Note the 1/60 Zeros are almost the same size as the 1/48s so you really need a minimum of 4 sets to look good (2 x 2 sets). In my shots above, I have 12-16 sets (2 long x 2 tall) for 1/60 to 1/48 hanger dio.

I think I have ~ 36 sets now. Can't beat it for ~ 4 bux a set in bulk!

If you have 1/15 - 1/20 scaled figures, a few sets makes a great playset (think Star Wars Hoth or GI Joe/Cobra Base).

Edited by Neova