ADV should do a DVD thinpak of SDF Macross.

ShizumaRobo

ADV partners with HG, therefore no money from me (they sucked before anyway, but that made it worse).

Is Animeigo even still around?

Yes, they are. i believe they're focussing on Yawara right now.

But even their macross set had a big ol' HG logo on it...

HG does indisputably have the rights to the original Macross, so as much as we don't want to give them money, if you're going to buy the series legally, we kind of have to, alas.

Yes, they are. i believe they're focussing on Yawara right now.

But even their macross set had a big ol' HG logo on it...

HG does indisputably have the rights to the original Macross, so as much as we don't want to give them money, if you're going to buy the series legally, we kind of have to, alas.

There's not a legal J release? You could buy that and print out a script. :p

Point taken.

Yes. If you want to spend gobs of money, do a lot of extra work, and you have something that can play Region 2 DVDs, there's always that option. :rolleyes:

But you strike a blow against the evil empire in the process! Use the Force, Luke!

Except, that's not the ADV version. It's the Animeigo and wouldn't have the dub and extras.

But, damn, at $40 that's right up my alley. (Yes, I don't have the unedited Macross in any form.)

Serious question, therefore: what exactly did ADV throw in when they released their set of this? (Apart from the dub, and I think the only reason I'd want that would be for Mari Iijima...)

Edited by Bill C.

But, damn, at $40 that's right up my alley. (Yes, I don't have the unedited Macross in any form.)

Serious question, therefore: what exactly did ADV throw in when they released their set of this? (Apart from the dub, and I think the only reason I'd want that would be for Mari Iijima...)

They have some interviews with Mari, as well as a commentary track with her and the (English) V.A. for Misa, which is half-interesting, and half-them talking about how cute each other's outfits are, and how they should go shopping together sometime.

The dub itself...isn't great. The consensus is that lot of the voices don't seem to fit the characters, and Mari's accent is a little strong (stronger than when she speaks normally or sings, weirdly enough). She's the only person in the cast who can pronounce "Macross" and "Hikaru" correctly, however.

But you also strike a blow against Animeigo and the huge chunk of change they spent restoring the footage...

It's a paradox! A PARADOX, I tell you!

But Animeigo isn't getting anything anymore anyways, so it's a moot point. :p

I've got the original 9-disk box, though. And I will proudly proclaim my affection for the artwork until the end of time.

That summary definitely isn't blowing my proverbial skirt up. :unsure:

ADV's release is worth getting if a English dub is worth something to you. FWIW ADV's release is the only way you're going to get a relatively faithful English dub of Macross.

Personally I think it's worth it just for the inclusion of Iijima Mari in the dub plus the extras with her in it. I [heart] Mari. I almost wish I had not blown $200+ on AnimEigo's set many years back.

The only problem with ADV's thinpak releases is that sometimes they delete the extras (as a concession for those dedicated fans who purchased the expensive single releases). If the thinpak set has the extras deleted, then it ain't worth buying IMO. But if they are intact, then it's absolutely worth it. ADV seems to have stepped away from deleting extras in their thinpak sets but I'd be careful nonetheless.

Can't even find the first ADV disc for below $28 with a cursory check...though I suppose it's academic now, since I jumped on that deal for the AnimEigo set. I'll just have to skip through Macross: The Complete a few times for my Mari fix. :mellow:

Edited by Bill C.

Except, that's not the ADV version. It's the Animeigo and wouldn't have the dub and extras.

Yeah, and? The dub sucks, and the extras are not anything worth shelling out more money for. If the extras featured in depth commentary, like interviews with Miyatake and Kawamori, old commercials of the Takatokus, and much more, then maybe I can see why anyone would want the ADV version. The ADV version is too butchered, I believe Hurin or one of the other mods made a comparison between both versions, and the end result, is that the Animeigo is the closest to the original you will ever get.

At that price, why the hell would anyone buy the ADV over it?

Yeah, and? The dub sucks, and the extras are not anything worth shelling out more money for. If the extras featured in depth commentary, like interviews with Miyatake and Kawamori, old commercials of the Takatokus, and much more, then maybe I can see why anyone would want the ADV version. The ADV version is too butchered, I believe Hurin or one of the other mods made a comparison between both versions, and the end result, is that the Animeigo is the closest to the original you will ever get.

For the dub. Believe it or not some fans (not me) prefer to watch their anime in English (no matter how good or bad the dub is) and are willing to pay the bucks to have it.

Just to prevent any misunderstanding due to the word "butchered" above, the ADV version isn't edited or "cut up". The ADV version uses the "remastered" tapes that AnimEigo created. The only negative I know about the ADV version is the lJapanese audio track which according to some is not as crisp as the AnimEigo release (likely due to the fact that the DVD has 2 audio tracks or it could simply be individual setup issues).

The only negative I know about the ADV version is the lJapanese audio track which according to some is not as crisp as the AnimEigo release (likely due to the fact that the DVD has 2 audio tracks or it could simply be individual setup issues).

From my understanding, ADV couldn't get the (remastered?) audio from AnimEigo for whatever reason.

Edited by Oihan

Just to prevent any misunderstanding due to the word "butchered" above, the ADV version isn't edited or "cut up". The ADV version uses the "remastered" tapes that AnimEigo created. The only negative I know about the ADV version is the lJapanese audio track which according to some is not as crisp as the AnimEigo release (likely due to the fact that the DVD has 2 audio tracks or it could simply be individual setup issues).

I heard the sound effects were different, more generic.

• 2 weeks later...

AMEN! The ADV dub pales in comparison to the original Japanese language version and honestly it is NOT that difficult to read subtitles. :rolleyes: I would buy the ADV version IF it did include the extras SDK mentioned but they never will, so there is no way in hell I am giving them my monies! I for one am glad I was on the original AnimEigo Macross TV fan petition, otherwise there wouldn't exist any version that is as close to the original as these.

From my understanding, ADV couldn't get the (remastered?) audio from AnimEigo for whatever reason.

AnimEigo got their audio from Big West, and by appearances, did it behind HG's backs. ADV just got whatever HG handed them.

Well, it's better than the extras ADV saw fit to put on the Eva Platinum Edition...

greenfingers.jpg

:ph34r:

Oh gosh don't bring that up. I think maybe that's why my Eva-loving friend saw it fit to ruin a viewing of DYRL by pointing out all the 'phallic' objects in the movie. The 'Atlantis' like city was the worst. :(