Macross Fleet Movements

Phil K

No, it was the twelfth Miss Macross contest (she won the 8th, I believe). So we're still (probably) looking at a 2046/7 launch date.

There has been some confusion as to whether she won or if she was a runner up.

I think its a more realistic implementation of a gimmick, which is why I think gubaba's persistent comments just strike me as illogical fanboyism. There is no way one could argue that an theoretical Omni directional implementation wouldn't take alot of energy than a PPB implementation. Why would you want to expend energy to cover a whole ship when you would normally only face a threat from one facing. Its a waste of energy, which could be better used for other purposes like weapons.They already have a omnidirectional field, and yet they still use PPB 50 years later. And even if they made a better type of shield its still the same question; why would you spread its energy over a wide area rather than focus it on the axis where you face the greatest likelihood of damage? No matter how you cut it, it just makes no sense to have a omni directional barrier.

Who's to say that one wouldn't be attacked from all sides? Why does it have to be from one side only? I'm with Gubaba on this in that I don't see how they couldn't have improved upon the Omni-Directional Barrier to make it more practical. Maybe rather than it exploding after it overloads it just dissipates or shuts down.... I could see the Barrier being used on the colony ships. Anyway, I still have some catching up to do in this thread!

Edit: I'm awaiting to be flamed at any moment now....

Edited by Oihan

I get the impression that each colony world is an independent entity, with its own government et al.

It is not such a huge stretch to consider that such a large fleet as the Frontier wouldn't already have a built in government. So when they do find a habitable planet to colonize, the political infrastructure is already in place.

It is probably the same with all the super long distance fleets, not just Frontier.

Edited by Zinjo

Who's to say that one wouldn't be attacked from all sides? Why does it have to be from one side only? I'm with Gubaba on this in that I don't see how they couldn't have improved upon the Omni-Directional Barrier to make it more practical. Maybe rather than it exploding after it overloads it just dissipates or shuts down.... I could see the Barrier being used on the colony ships. Anyway, I still have some catching up to do in this thread!

Edit: I'm awaiting to be flamed at any moment now....

First PPB and Omni might be a false distinction, one system can do both. However given that most space tactics is to keep your fleet back and let fighters approach, you really just need to cover a small axis out in front, and reinforce it. Its not as if you're going to send your colony into the thick of a battle.

That's not really likely. Glass is the local president, analogous to Mayor Miria but with more "Presidential" power. Unlike Miria, Glass seems to be a "Commander in Chief" like the US President, with at least the colony's NUNS answering to him. In Macross 7, anything remotely military fell to Max, excluding colony defense (which was sorely lacking in City 7). In Frontier, Glass declares an emergency and suddenly both NUNS and SMS are jumping at his call for a rescue mission. In Macross 7, Max would have been in charge of the rescue, and would have told Miria to mind her own damn business.

Mark

Woah, where did you read this?

From the Macross Compendium...

"Howard Glass is the president of the New U.N. and administrative director of the Macross Frontier fleet. He carries the authority and bears the responsibility of the political decisions in various situations of space travel to keep civilian lives safe...".

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

"Howard Glass is the president of the New U.N. and administrative director of the Macross Frontier fleet. He carries the authority and bears the responsibility of the political decisions in various situations of space travel to keep civilian lives safe...".

Well damn. So he is. This certainly dials up the intrigue.

Wow, that's a rather interesting piece of trivia. I suspected that they wouldn't call him a President unless he was something much more than just the caretaker of Macross Frontier, but being the big cheese of the whole New UNG is quite a revelation!

I guess this really puts things into perspective.

Er...Does the government of Earth go by a different name or something, then? That sounds really weird to me..

Edited by openget

No. Earth is part of the United Nations Government and always has been. The only thing that's changed is apparently the word "New" has been attached to both the UN Government and the UN Spacy.

Hasn't it been the New United Nations Government since 2010...? At least, that's what the deep-voiced guy in "Macross: A Future Chronicle" said, IIRC...

Edited by Gubaba

Hmmm...then I guess I'll just have to watch Future Chronicle again and see what the kanji says...

I'm fairly confident we'll see some explanation in Frontier concerning the change of UNS to NUNS. However, I'm still assuming the real reason for the change was to market this series outside of Japan.

I'm fairly confident we'll see some explanation in Frontier concerning the change of UNS to NUNS. However, I'm still assuming the real reason for the change was to market this series outside of Japan.

No, I understand that UN Spacy changed to New UN Spacy sometime between 2051 and 2059...but what I'm saying is that I think the New Unity Government was ALWAYS the New Unity Government (at least since 2010). So while it may have changed, the government retains the same name it had before.

(But then, they couldn't very well call it the "New New Unity Government"...maybe the "New and Improved Unity Government"?)

I don't even mean a full series, just mentioning it, or showing a glimpse of a mining facility over some gas giant, or in an asteroid belt, as a scene in Frontier or some other future Macross story. Though, actually, I was thinking, Dynamite showed that there are criminal elements with their own ships and whatnot, a Macross series featuring space pirates could be greate. :lol:

Of course, I might just be thinking that because I started watching the original Captain Herlock series again.

Mining a gas giant eh? you could always read Robotech II the Sentinels for that.

No, I understand that UN Spacy changed to New UN Spacy sometime between 2051 and 2059...but what I'm saying is that I think the New Unity Government was ALWAYS the New Unity Government (at least since 2010). So while it may have changed, the government retains the same name it had before.

(But then, they couldn't very well call it the "New New Unity Government"...maybe the "New and Improved Unity Government"?)

-It's the city of New New York. No really it is, actually it's the 23rd new york since the original, so actually that makes it. New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York

Or maybe Shin Unity Government. and Unity Government Kai?

yes I realized this has been resolved already, just saying there would be options if they wanted to.

Though Unity Goverment Kai would be very weird sounding.

Edited by lord_breetai

-It's the city of New New York. No really it is, actually it's the 23rd new york since the original, so actually that makes it. New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York

Or maybe Shin Unity Government. and Unity Government Kai?

yes I realized this has been resolved already, just saying there would be options if they wanted to.

Though Unity Goverment Kai would be very weird sounding.

How 'bout "New Unity Government - Yakk Deculture Edition"?