Whats the rhyme or reason to uniform colors in SDFM?

Is there a reason beyond what's graphically appealing? I thought figuring out the uniform color was as pointless as trying to understand why Hikaru and Max didn't have CF-1As when they first joined...

Cause Hikky is a friend of Fockers and Max is just the SHIZZZZZZZZNIT!!!

:ph34r:

Is there a reason beyond what's graphically appealing? I thought figuring out the uniform color was as pointless as trying to understand why Hikaru and Max didn't have CF-1As when they first joined...

Wait? What? Canada finally upgraded from the CF-18s we have?!?

Wasn't there a shot in Hikaru's training montage where he was piloting a 1A Brownie? I just figured his training period was uneventful and his skillz so mad that they jumped cut from trainee to squad leader.

Edited by Kelsain

Wasn't there a shot in Hikaru's training montage where he was piloting a 1A Brownie? I just figured his training period was uneventful and his skillz so mad that they jumped cut from trainee to squad leader.

Could be they didn't have enough -1A's to go around, plus I didn't think he was a squad leader until after Mars.

I don't know how they decide everything else but the hero (Hikaru) of the story almost always get the mostly red/sometimes white/blue w yellow accents combo (superman, optimus prime, etc)

Roy gets the dark brooding colors, max gets the cooler colors and of course kakizaki gets the CF colors.

But it's mostly done to make the character recognizable and not a military scheme type thing just like the stripes on the valks don't really mean anything.

well. lets look at the uniform colors

Misa White and Yellow, she's the flight controller

Claudia had green and yellow i think, she was the SDF CEO i think

the bridge bunnies had light blue uniforms, and they were ship systems, comunications and various other stuff.

seems pretty straight forward to me.

other than that i'd just say it was to make the characters stand out more

Stragely enough, it wasn't a brown 1A, it was a brown 1J! :blink: Which I think is the only one to appear in the series...(am I right about that...?). Or maybe it was a YF-1R... :rolleyes:

As far as the uniform color goes, I also did a few searches on google and found nothing.

But in thinking abut it, I can't find any way to make it make make sense...

White uniform, blue and red trim: Hikaru, and a few others seen in the show

White uniform, blue and yellow trim: Kakizaki, and some others.

White uniform, blue and green trim: no main characters, but many others.

White uniform, blue and purple trim: only Max AFAIK.

Gray uniform with blue and black trim: only Roy AFAIK.

(New recruit: "Oooh, can I have one with the purple on it?"

Guy in charge of handing out uniforms: "Sorry, you have to be a genius pilot with glasses to get that. It's in the rule book."

New recruit: "Wellll...how 'about the gray one then?"

Guy in charge of handing out uniforms: "That's a ceremonial uniform given out only to the man who all of our pilots want to be when they grow up. Sorry. How about this one with green trim? We found we could get a discount on those for ordering in bulk...")

Now, the bridge crew ALMOST makes sense...the Bridge Bunnies in powder blue with red trim, but if one of them leaves, their relief always has tan with red trim, just like the Pin Point Barrier Girls. So the color would seem to denote in which part of the ship you work. But what are we to make of Claudia's green uniform?

And then if you bring in Maistrov's darker blue with yellow...and the guy who shows up during the decision about taking the Zentradi defectors aboard, who has a dark red uniform with black trim...the list goes on and on, and a lot of uniforms are only seen once, which makes it impossible to figure out what they're for...

I say it's either the magic of anime, or else UN Spacy is a bureaucratical nightmare...

There is no rhyme or reason to uniform colors in SDF:M. It's only to set the characters apart from filler types. It gets streamlined a bit with DYRL? since you never see the pilots outside of flightsuits. The flightsuits are essentially the same with minor detail differences, i.e. squadron patch over the left breast. I don't recall seeing any of the males (excluding Global) in DYRL? sporting the male equivalent of the service uniform that the bridge crew wear, nothing like SDF:M.

Definitely a far cry from the color-to-job rating in Star Trek's TNG onwards.

Hooray for Red Shirts!