Southern Cross

Shun

as in the topic description, don't really understand what actually happened at the end?

Are the people in Gloria saved? Or is it true (like some fans said) that the flower affects everybody instead?

Any official explanation?

:unsure:

PS > not talking about the robotech version ^_^

Edited by Shun

Well, the immediate effect of Seifriet destroying the Protozor flowers is that the Zor no longer have a supply of food. Losing Des might affect their leadership. Destroying the people of Gloire is a possibility for the Zor as they have been effectively abandoned by the home planet of Liberte. It basically ends with the specter of death or starvation for the parties involved.

i heard a rumor that southern cross was canceled and that was not the way that it was supposed to end. they just had to end the show 'cause they were goin' off the air. i think that explains the weird endin'. i haven't seen the japanese version, only the robotech version.

Well, the immediate effect of Seifriet destroying the Protozor flowers is that the Zor no longer have a supply of food. Losing Des might affect their leadership. Destroying the people of Gloire is a possibility for the Zor as they have been effectively abandoned by the home planet of Liberte. It basically ends with the specter of death or starvation for the parties involved.

That's pretty freakin bleak... I think I like the Robotech version better.

i heard a rumor that southern cross was canceled and that was not the way that it was supposed to end. they just had to end the show 'cause they were goin' off the air. i think that explains the weird endin'. i haven't seen the japanese version, only the robotech version.

Yeah, I read somewhere that the show was canceled mid-way through its storyline because of low ratings ...

Perhaps our resident "Southern Cross Army of One" can provide some answers. :) When I watched the DVD set over 4 years ago I had the impression that the long range result of what happened at the end was going to turn Jeanne and the rest of the humans of Gloria into Zor. Too bad the ending had to be rushed.

I heard that the humans were going to become Zor because of the spread of the flowers.

I watched the Robotech version about a year ago, and after it ended so abruptly, I checked online to find out what was up with the ending, and that is what came to understand as well.

Are the characters any more likable in the original? Because it took me a looooooooong time to start liking the characters, and when I finally did, it abruptly ended.

ok, some considerations regarding the ending -

The flowers have some effect on the humans/Zor but only for a period of time as seen in the case of those Zor who had lost one of their trinity and are low in their bio-energy, i.e. they will slowly but surely regain their own individuality and emotions. Unless their bio-energy is being constantly supplied.

Regarding the flowers, do they affect living beings directly or did the Zor, thru their technology, somehow channeled the flowers' essence to produce bio-energy? It seemed to me it is the latter, because of all those high-tech stuff used by the Zor. However, there is one scene on Gloire where they show some pinkish rabbit-looking animal and there are three of them, suggesting direct influence by the flowers? On the other hand, when Jeanne and others were in the cave, the flowers didn't seem to affect the humans that much. Later when Seifried shot the first of the Dess trinity, Jeanne caught hold of the flower in the glass capsule, that was when she saw those illusions in her head. This is the reason why my opinion is that the Zor had to make use of some technology before they can channel the flower's energy.

And finally there's the Zor ship debris falling into the protozor flowers pit. Did it spread the seeds or destroyed them all (if not most)? Does the ending scene showing the petals mean that the flowers were being seeded? Why didn't they show the seeds instead if that were the case?

Conclusion:

In order for all people on Gloire to be affected by the flowers to become Zor:

1. Flowers must affect humans directly, and not by the use of some hi-tech device

2. Debris did not destroy the flowers

3. Flowers were seeded abundantly so that the supply is enough for everyone to stay influenced by the flowers

My view:

1. Flowers' effects on humans are only via some device

2. Debris probably destroyed much of the flowers

3. Flowers were not seeded since it was the petals that were seen but no seeds. Didn't matter if the flowers were seeded anyway if point #1 is true.

I'd like to think that the ending suggests that the Zor threat is no more, n because of the low supply of bio-energy, the Zor are starting to become 'normal' humans again, and are able to co-exist with the Gloirians (humans).

-------------

Other interesting point:

The story tries to tell us that the Zor trinities somehow are linked and "know" what their counterparts think and feel. However at the end, Bowie and Musica mentioned that they understood how each other felt, and also Jeanne said she knew how Seifried was feeling (revenge at all costs). So are the script writers trying to tell us that we don't need the flowers to become trinities so as to understand each other? All they need is love... Ok that sounded cheesy lol... but I kinda like the way how it was brought out .. :p

Edited by Shun

Regarding the flowers, do they affect living beings directly or did the Zor, thru their technology, somehow channeled the flowers' essence to produce bio-energy? It seemed to me it is the latter, because of all those high-tech stuff used by the Zor. However, there is one scene on Gloire where they show some pinkish rabbit-looking animal and there are three of them, suggesting direct influence by the flowers? On the other hand, when Dana and others were in the cave, the flowers didn't seem to affect the humans that much. Later when Seifried shot the first of the Dess trinity, Dana caught hold of the flower in the glass capsule, that was when she saw those illusions in her head. This is the reason why my opinion is that the Zor had to make use of some technology before they can channel the flower's energy.

Hmm interesting I really need to rewatch Southern Cross, by the way her name is Jeanne, not Dana. :D

Perhaps our resident "Southern Cross Army of One" can provide some answers. :) When I watched the DVD set over 4 years ago I had the impression that the long range result of what happened at the end was going to turn Jeanne and the rest of the humans of Gloria into Zor. Too bad the ending had to be rushed.

Myself, I think the poor colonists were doomed to either become Zor/BioHumans or die in the continued fighting. Basically, the destroyed civilization Jeanne hallucinated about would come to pass. I know Keith takes a different view, based on the ending song, since its more upbeat. However, I took that to be sort of regretful instead of upbeat. I know that several other Southern Cross fans I've talked with (Rob Morgenstern, Latell from Robotech.com) were all in agreement about feeling that the colonists were basically hosed at the end. A far more bleak outcome than its Robotech counterpart.

It would be nice to know for certain what the full series would have been like. You have to wonder exactly what preproduction items we've never seen before that would have appeared in the '2nd season' (eps. 24-36). Certainly the various Powered Armour and other Battle Robots that the Army of the Southern Cross used as well as the 2 unused Bioroids and what for all the world appears to be a Zor 'Frigate'-type fighter.

As a mental excercise, I always imagined a sequel would take place some 10 to 15 years later with an arriving force from Liberte to research what happened to their sister colony. They would find scattered human strongholds, but most of those come across would either be BioHumans or Zor. The main 'bad guy' mecha would be the Generation III Commander only seen in the opening credits (a yellow-khaki colour) piloted by none other than a BioHuman Jeanne! Basically, the force from Liberte would be contrived (somehow) to be stranded and have to deal with the hostiles as best as possible. There is also the fact that, cutting out the Mospeada stuff, it would sort of resemble the novelization form of Robotech II: The Sentinels with regards to the SDF-03 being stuck in orbit around Tirol and having to set down forces to deal with the ground-based situations. But thats neither here nor there (especially considering how much I disliked the Robotech novelizations)

AdvancedBioroids01.jpg

ForAnimeHobbyFansSouthernCross04.jpg

ForAnimeHobbyFansSouthernCross05.jpg

Myself, I think the poor colonists were doomed to either become Zor/BioHumans or die in the continued fighting. Basically, the destroyed civilization Jeanne hallucinated about would come to pass. I know Keith takes a different view, based on the ending song, since its more upbeat. However, I took that to be sort of regretful instead of upbeat. I know that several other Southern Cross fans I've talked with (Rob Morgenstern, Latell from Robotech.com) were all in agreement about feeling that the colonists were basically hosed at the end. A far more bleak outcome than its Robotech counterpart.

It would be nice to know for certain what the full series would have been like. You have to wonder exactly what preproduction items we've never seen before that would have appeared in the '2nd season' (eps. 24-36). Certainly the various Powered Armour and other Battle Robots that the Army of the Southern Cross used as well as the 2 unused Bioroids and what for all the world appears to be a Zor 'Frigate'-type fighter.

As a mental excercise, I always imagined a sequel would take place some 10 to 15 years later with an arriving force from Liberte to research what happened to their sister colony. They would find scattered human strongholds, but most of those come across would either be BioHumans or Zor. The main 'bad guy' mecha would be the Generation III Commander only seen in the opening credits (a yellow-khaki colour) piloted by none other than a BioHuman Jeanne! Basically, the force from Liberte would be contrived (somehow) to be stranded and have to deal with the hostiles as best as possible. There is also the fact that, cutting out the Mospeada stuff, it would sort of resemble the novelization form of Robotech II: The Sentinels with regards to the SDF-03 being stuck in orbit around Tirol and having to set down forces to deal with the ground-based situations. But thats neither here nor there (especially considering how much I disliked the Robotech novelizations)

Very interesting, thanks for your reply. It's really a pity that the show had to end abruptly and it seems like we don't even have any explanation by the directors?

and i like your idea of season II.

Of course, if there were to be eps 24 and more, the ending will not be like this, but why would we have Jeanne as the antagonist in season 2? She's our heroine~! :( Or maybe during the conflict with the newly arrived Liberte troops, she somehow managed to shake off her biohumanly controls just like Seifried, and then turn on the Zor. There were 3 Zor looking like older versions of Dess? Could they be the supreme commanders even superior to Dess? They can fill the role of the ultimate 'baddies' to beat.

sorry i couldn't remember many of the names :p, and the fansite (www.artemisgames.com) don't work now. Any other southern cross / mospeada fansites to recommend?

EDIT:

Who are these? sucks that ADV edited the ending, and they didn't even have any ending credits for this episode

zorunknownft5.th.jpg

Edited by Shun

Of course, if there were to be eps 24 and more, the ending will not be like this, but why would we have Jeanne as the antagonist in season 2? She's our heroine~! :( Or maybe during the conflict with the newly arrived Liberte troops, she somehow managed to shake off her biohumanly controls just like Seifried, and then turn on the Zor. There were 3 Zor looking like older versions of Dess? Could they be the supreme commanders even superior to Dess? They can fill the role of the ultimate 'baddies' to beat.

Heh, when I talk about Jeanne being the antagonist, I'm not really talking about eps. 24 onwards, but a whole new series. Sort of if Southern Cross had been successful enough to have a sequel produced several years later.

As for the second season, I figured it would be mostly ground-based anyway. The Zor losing access to their nigh invincible City-ships would bring the war back down to the personal level, showing the remaining Southern Cross Army units trying to protect what remained of the civilian populace. The Zor, for their part, would have access to the ProtoZor again, but their command structure was mostly in tatters. Sort of evening out the odds.

sorry i couldn't remember many of the names :p, and the fansite (www.artemisgames.com) don't work now. Any other southern cross / mospeada fansites to recommend?

Zomasu, Zoisamu and Zoramu (?) are the names I'm somehow coming up with, but I think they (all or part) might be wrong.

super_ajacs_bottom.JPG

I hope to renewal episode series "Southern Cross" by Blue-Ray disc madia.

Macross continue to new series " Macross F". Orgusss issueed "Orguss02" in 1994. ROBOTECH(=Mospeada) has released Shaodw Chronicles in 2007 by HG.

Toynami ,CM'S, MEGA-HOUSE. BEEGLE release VFA-6(LEGIOSS), VR-052F and more 2007-2008.

But Southern Cross has no media and Model or toy release untill now.

super_ajacs_front%20.JPG

super_ajacs_top2.JPG

Edited by yui1107

I'll never understand why Southern Cross is always treated like the unloved step-child of the RT universe. HG has full control of the mecha and character designs but they refused to release anything SC related. Breetai's Zentran bio-roid from Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles was pretty cool but we only saw that in the comic-book. With all legal troubles with BW if HG were to have their Zentradi fly this mecha instead of the battle-pods I'd be ok with that.

I've heard rumors that Big West bought the merchandising rights to Southern Cross. Southern Cross is about on the level of popularity as some of the other lesser known transforming robot shows from the 80's like Dorvack and Galvion so there hasn't been much of a push for anything outside of the DVD set from Pioneer.

WTF is up with that photoshopped Auroran? It only has two missile launchers.

Edited by VF5SS

I'll never understand why Southern Cross is always treated like the unloved step-child of the RT universe. HG has full control of the mecha and character designs but they refused to release anything SC related. Breetai's Zentran bio-roid from Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles was pretty cool but we only saw that in the comic-book. With all legal troubles with BW if HG were to have their Zentradi fly this mecha instead of the battle-pods I'd be ok with that.

Because Bandai/Tomy/Gakken/Takara/XYZ Japanese Toy Company never made any SC toys, so HG had nothing to bootleg.

WTF is up with that photoshopped Auroran? It only has two missile launchers.

I think it was something Ken Olson came up with a number of years ago to give the Ajax more punch in combat. Personally, if you're gonna Photoshop it to change the armament, I would rather see Python or Cobra missiles on the hardpoints and under the fuselage.

Or just leave it alone since putting more missiles on it would look stupid and not allow it to transform.

Actually, a pair of Python's replacing each Lightning cluster bomb bin wouldn't inhibit transformation, since the bins are about 1+/- meter longer than Pythons (which are about 2m in length).

As for mounting additional under the fuselage, it would be the same as mounting them on the Logan where you reserve them for Strike missions. They have to be expended (naturally) to transform from Fighter to Battloid, just like the Logan. Presumably, you could also mount an additional pair on each wing, bring you to either 12 or 14 (depending on how many you think can be mounted under the fuselage). For Anti-Capital Ship duty, thats not a bad deal. Of course, its unlikely that many missiles could be mounted on the frame for intra-atmospheric operations of any kind except Helicopter mode.

::shrugs::

Edit: You could also replace the two Lightning medium range missile bins with Hammerhead 190mm short range missiles bins. There is some precedent for missiles like these as we see an Ajax (not likely to have been Marie) use a non cluster bomb missile to take out a Scout Bioroid (Mid Generation Type I) in Clone Chamber (Iron Lady).

Ajax190mmHammerheadmissilelaunch.jpg

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Well it wasn't loved by much anyone. In Japan Macross has had resonable success to keep it going, and Mospeada has had a cult following about half as strong as Earthbound here. Overseas mirrors these in this case, of course that isn't always true.