Robocop 2 CAIN MKII

CAIN MKII

Hiya;

Here are some shots of my favourite cyborg design: robocop 2 bad guy CAIN. B))

This is what I made out of kotobukiya little figure.

I hope Hot toys will make a large scale Cain sometime ^_^

323248001_d4f883dde7_o.jpg

323521992_da87244fd0_o.jpg

323523378_f80d05c5b7_o.jpg

This has always been one of my favorite mech designs. If hot toys made one, I would pre-order it in a second.

I have the tiny one they produced last year, and it is WAY to small. I disliked about the whole concept of a lack of a vocal unit. It had great sound effects during the movie. Why the designer went with flipoutLCD face is something I'll never figure out.

I somewhat agree with Jenius about the lower body thing, but I think the extra armor would have slowed it down and added a more human aspect to the character. I think they were trying to empathize the differences between man and machine with the design somewhat.

There was a kit model produced. Here are all the pics I have.

post-867-1202502780_thumb.jpg

cain.bmp

cain2.bmp

Comparaison between the original and mine:

322734844_6d1b62c602_o.jpg

322740116_4dc80a87f1_o.jpg

I'm happy to find other Cain Fans here. ^_^

It's too bad they never made a decent model of this bad boy. :(

There's the horrible Argonaut kit and the excelent but too small kotobukiya figure.

Geez captain america is it true you were asked to make one?

I have a friend who's actually making it. I will post pictures later: really incredible stuff.

The thing about the chicken legs was, according to Cain designer CRAIG HAYES, to empathize the torso, just like bodybuilder's.

You can find some beautyfull photos of one of the stop motion puppet used for the film, exposed at Tippett studio , thanks to my friend Animachina:

Cain photos

And here are precious photos of the Cain life size upper body:

Incredible CAIN real life torso from Tippett studio

Hey ruskiiVFaussie , here are some shots of my HT ED209, lightly customized: ;)

ht20901us9.jpg

ht20902vv0.jpg

ht20903du9.jpg

Edited by CAIN MKII

Excellent job on the custom!

I've always loved the CAIN MKII design and thought it was underappreciated. I think part of the reason is that it's a complicated design that's undershown in the movie, and when it is shown, it's too kinetic for stop-motion for all the cool details to sink in for the viewer. Contrast that to ED-209's relatively simple design, and even Robo's.

I love the kotobukiya Robocop line. It's something I found out existed entirely by happenstance in a transformer picture thread on the Allspark. When the set arrived, I was pretty sure that Cain's outer arms also rotated, since most of the other figures had such joints, and those joints took a little pressure to unstiffen. Heh, so as you can see below, I accidentally pulled Cain's left arm off. Fortunately for me, it popped off the way it was glued on, so I could reconnect the arm peg either to default mode or to something similar to what you did with your custom(which was the exact pose I really wanted him to do too. :) ). I'd love to see this design in a larger, solid plastic figure. I'd also like to see ED-209 in some type of mid-scale. That HT one that's out is just way too large for my needs, but still a fantastic looking figure.

robo.jpg

Edited by Alpha OTS

Yo captain, I would defenitly wanna have a 1/6 scale resin model kit of Cain : sounds like Xmass. :wub:

You still have the plans you drew up yes? <_<

Hey you remembered the guy a talked about earlier who's doing one?

His name is gumby and this is what he has done so far:

3dgumby01im0.jpg3dgumby02ya6.jpg

3dgumby03gt4.jpg3dgumby04er1.jpg

3dgumby05wk3.jpg3dgumby06fv6.jpg

3dgumby07vs7.jpg

3dgumby09dr2.jpg3dgumby08tn4.jpg

punchworking01im6.jpg

Pretty neat. B))

It certainly looks like gumby's got a fantastic head-start on that project, and I think that he's got a pretty good handle on it. Is this something that will be offered commercially at some point?

My only concern would be in the full use of resin and the possibility of bending or sagging over time, particularly because of the size and mass of the upper torso compared to the legs.That's why I had contemplated having some metal legs at the very least.

Yes, I still have the plans. They would likely need to be updated though; there was only limited visual reference available at the time.

Edited by captain america

Yo captain, I would defenitly wanna have a 1/6 scale resin model kit of Cain : sounds like Xmass. :wub:

You still have the plans you drew up yes? <_<

Hey you remembered the guy a talked about earlier who's doing one?

His name is gumby and this is what he has done so far:

Pretty neat. B))

sweet zombie jesus. I'm no real fan of robocop but ANY mech fan has to appreciate that lower mech torso. That is absoloutly stunning, I can't wait to see it fully built!

Well gumby want his project to be fully officially licensed. Actually he spent a lot of money to make his proto by using 3D printing.

He made the 3D model himself, very nice and accurate in every details.

I don't know if he will be able to go to the end of his project alone, it's been a while since the last time I heared of him.

who's gumby

I had the same concerns about the weight of the upper body on resin legs.

The torso is so massive. Metal legs should be the solution unless you use a very lite material for the torso.

I hope the links I posted earlier could help you updating your plan. ;)

Edited by CAIN MKII

It certainly looks like gumby's got a fantastic head-start on that project, and I think that he's got a pretty good handle on it. Is this something that will be offered commercially at some point?

My only concern would be in the full use of resin and the possibility of bending or sagging over time, particularly because of the size and mass of the upper torso compared to the legs.That's why I had contemplated having some metal legs at the very least.

Yes, I still have the plans. They would likely need to be updated though; there was only limited visual reference available at the time.

wouldn't an easy solution just to be to put some metal rods in the leg parts as you recast it?

I just registered just for this topic!

I just ordered the Kotobukiya MK2 (why is it MK2?) Cain/Robocop 2.

Is that ED-209 also by Kotobukiya? Could we have more pics of that? I'm wondering if I should get that too... how much did you guys buy it for?

Hi Boa!

Why MKII?

I don't know. I know it's used for planes like WWII Spitfire MKI.

Congratulation on your koto Cain, you won't be disapointed.

Now the ED209 showed here is Hot Toys figure. I heared it's pretty difficult and expensive to find nowaday.

Should you get one...first you have to find one. Good luck.

On this photo, you can see Hot Toys ED209 on the left (big one) and kotoon the right (micro one)

edwip00wg9.jpg

Edited by CAIN MKII

Ohh, that's the 1/6 scale ED-209. Yeah, that is tooooo expensive. No wonder it looked really detailed; I thought it was the Kotobukiya ED-209 and was going to buy it right away. If anyone has the Kotobukiya ED-209, is it worth it for $20?

I don't really buy toys, but I am a fan of RoboCop (not the third one, though -- I don't care for the jetpack models either). I'm waiting for my NECA RoboCop too -- that one looks really cool and detailed.

Edit: DAMN! That ED-209 is huge. kotoon?

Found some Koyobukiya ED-209 pics...

1301608111_87368e7469_b.jpg

This one looks good

ed209-755716.jpg

But not so this one... lol I mean, it's ok.

I wonder if it has good weight. What is it made out of?

Edited by boa

Koto ED is ok, very nice. It's made out of vinyl.

But you can find it at a better price on ebay, like $5.

$20 is way too expensive.

You're a robocop fan?

Click here, you're gonna like it.

Yeah, I know that forum. :rolleyes: They have some rare video footage/makings there.

I searched on ebay but it's $20 with shipping included. It seems like a rare out-of-stock item, so they jacked up the prices for it.

For $5, I would easily buy it.

Didn't Cain cost at least $10?

When I bought mine at the end of spring last year, it was in a set off ebay with what I assume was the entire Robocop wave: ED-209, mini Robocop w/destroyed ED-209 legs, Cain MK2, Robocop, Robocop 3(w/jetpack). I think I paid close to $50 for the entire set, that includes a shipping amount. (Edit: I was wrong, there was another figure in the Robocop wave, a Robocop mini "bust".)

At the time, I couldn't find it anywhere else online, but I also didn't really ask around either. I just know I wanted it for the ED-209 and Cain. I felt it was worth it. It's about the size I wanted and with a high level of detail.

Taking a quick look at ebay, looks like they're selling them for $12 a piece, but I'm not seeing Ed or Cain though, just the low demand items. I did see this though, which was something I almost picked up before finding out about the kotobukiyas. It's the Mez-Itz 3 pack set of Robocop, Lewis and ED-209. Despite the figures being super deformed, Ed still manages to look very nice.

Edited by Alpha OTS

wouldn't an easy solution just to be to put some metal rods in the leg parts as you recast it?

That would only work if you had a leg cast all in one piece, with a one-piece continuous rod that followed the full length of the leg and anchors sturdily into the torso. The leg design on Cain makes that highly impractical. Further, the high center of gravity of the design will put even more stress on the legs.

Resin cast parts are fine for certain designs and objects of a certain size, but when you start moving into something like this, you discover that the build/construction techniques that work for a 7"-8" model don't apply too well on something almost triple the size.

Yes and I think it explained why HT have such a hard time to develop a robocain figure.

I hope they will find a way around this.

Is it confirmed that Hot Toys is developing or interested in release a 1/6 Cain?

Also, talking about Robocop and Hot Toys, does anybody know how many Robo versions made by HT are out there? I want the classic Peter Weller Robo, but I'd also like to get the flight pack and extra weapons. I saw on Youtube a guy that says it got his flight pack separately and that it fits the first Robocop figure. Anyone can confirm this? Thanks in advance.

Yes, HT annonced they were working on robocain 8 month ago for a release date sometime in 2008, still no pictures :(

I think they made 3 robo versions: 1 robocop, 2 from robocop 3( one with the gunarm another one with the flight pack).

And I can confirm the flight pack fit perfectly the first robocop figure, I made it.

robocopjetpackdb9.jpg

I bought the flight pack on ebay.

Wow... the shininess metallic reflection on Robo's armor looks exactly like the real thing. That's hot! The only way you can easily tell it's a figure is from the skin and mouth.

I still like the original RoboCop though. They made him too shiny in the 2nd one.

Hehehe, you quote me before I could edit my post :p

If Cain is on the way I guess I'll have to get the rest of the line pronto! I'm afraid Yamato will have to wait to get my dough.

Good luck man, I've been trying to get ED-209 forever. Stupid procrastination. Never again with Hot Toys product.

I just got my Cain...

I ended up breaking off Cain's left arm too! Lame. Why didn't they allow the arm to rotate so it can point the gun? Anyway, it's slightly detached but the wires keep it from falling off. Now cain looks like he's about to fire the gun as opposed to the default.

This thing is pretty cool. Now I want the ED-209... but apart from buying the $50 set, they don't sell Ed-209 alone other than for $20, which is too much.