World of Warcraft OR Guild Wars etc...

kung flu

I've been playing some online multi-player games for my PS3, I've never really played online games before I got my PS3. Since I found it enjoyable, I'm now considering trying a online RPG for my PC. So far Guild Wars and Warcraft are the main ones that are stocked at my local game shop, but I'm not sure which one to get. Have any of you played these games and whats the differents between them? Also what is the gameplay like? If there are any other titles you can recommend, I would be most grateful. :rolleyes:

I'm actually playing both Guild Wars and WoW (my Brother In Laws' Account for me to try a whole month).

(PvE - Player versus Environment)

(PvP - Player versus Player)

(PvEvP - Player versus Environment versus Player)

Guild Wars: http://www.guildwars.com/

If you are a casual player, don't want to spend the $$$ for the monthly go for Guild Wars.

There are 3 full featured standalone games out for Guild Wars. 1: The original Guild Wars (also combo'd w/G.W.E.N.), 2: Guild Wars NightFall, 3: Guild Wars Faction, and are intertwined in terms of porting your characters from one game to the next.

A fourth game (an expansion really) is currently out for Guild Wars called Guild Wars Eye of the North (G.W.E.N.), and yes it's a word play/nod to an NPC in the original Guild Wars game, you must have one of the 3 previous titles to use this expansion, unless you picked up the combo pack.

Guild Wars is mostly set for the casual player who do not have time and commitment to play an MMO for more than 2+ hours everyday.

It's basically a PvE game, with the chance to team up with other players in certain missions, PvP are set at predetermined city locations. Level cap is 20. A Guild Wars 2 is out later this year, or next year for fans of the series.

Armor and weapons are customizable, there are hundreds of skills to use, but are limited to 8 during quests and PvP.

WoW: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml

WoW is basically your fantasy MMO like any other, IMO, not the catch all MMO... but rather a popular one. This does take time and $$$ to play. Level cap is currently upto 70 with the Burning Crusade expansion (buy the combo pack, if you're getting WoW).

You can customize weapons, armor, abilities, and skills to your liking. You can use more than 8 skills to play, I have yet to determine the max a player can use, since I'm playing a trial.

Choose one of the two diferent factions to play, you can PvE and PvP against the other factions, or choose a PvP server to fight other players while doing your quest.

The new expansion slate later for the year will raise the level cap to 80.

The Alternative:

These are a few F2P (free to play) MMO's, and for a little bit of $$$, you can purchase extra equipment that free players may not have access to. The purpose for f2p are for players that could not commit LOTS of time to playing pay MMO.

(Here are 3 titles to look at, more online.)

RF Online http://www.rf-onlinegame.com/splash.php?return=index.php? (Accretians - Living Robots [think of them as Space Ors w/big guns], Coras - Space Elves [some female elves look as though they belong in an intergalactic strip club] and Bellatos - Humans that look like kids using big guns, big swords and a PowerArmor). It's PvEvP... there are certain missions that will require you to go beyond the safety of your territory and literally complete missions that may end up you getting killed by other races.

There is a faction war between the races at certain times of the day, and word that there might be a server to server war coming soon. Basically, players of one server team up and fight another group of players from another server, regardless of their race allegiance.

Archlord http://www.archlordgame.com/splash/index.p...eturn=index.php - Haven't played it yet.

Rappelz http://rappelz.gpotato.com/ - It's not bad, there are some lag issues, PvP does not occur till you are level 20. This is a good thing since this will give you time to get used to the game.

Side note, I am playing City of Heroes/Villains, Tabula Rasa and Guild Wars... may end up playing WoW, and suspend one of the two pay titles.

Edited by Dangaioh

I have not played World of Warcraft, so I can't give opinions or gouge on it. I have played Guild Wars since it first came out. So, here it goes. To further add to Dangaioh's description of the game:

PvE is the main aspect of the game. You can duel players anywhere but PvP is designated mainly for arenas, events, etc... namely specified regions of the game.

As far as character progression goes, it sounds crazy, but the max level is 20. However, the game goes around a different approach to improve you character. Firstly, you have your starting class (let's say warrior). Eventually you'll get a chance to add a supporting profession without the bells & whistles as if you had made it your primary profession, but you'll get some useful skills / abilities to complement your main one. Outside of the usual loot, reward items / gear, you learn skills. You can learn these skills via purchase at a trainer once you have the prerequisites. But the truly good skills are "Elite Skills" that are learned from Boss / Unique / Special NPCs scattered about in the game. You use a 1 time skill to capture a skill from these NPCs once you've defeated them. The skill you took will replace the captured skill (or rune thingie). You'll have to go to a trainer to get replace that capture skill / rune and it costs more the more you do it.

The other main thing is when it comes to skills, you can equip up to 6-8 at a time (can't remember, I'm on deployment and can't access my account now). While in town or some safe haven like it, you can arrange whatever skills you have on your Skillbar to bring along for an adventure. Once you've exited town and are in the wild, you can't change the setup. So alot of thought has to go into how you set your character up for any given adventure. Your kicka** build that you've used for a long time in so many regions may work horribly the next.

A major difference with Guild Wars compared with alot of MMOs is that it relies very heavily in instances, meaning your assembled party, once venturing out, will "instance" into their OWN wildness, dungeon, etc. Meaning you will not run into strangers out in the wild, talk to them, and get them to join. It's a different feel for me since I'm used to more traditional MMOs where you can run into random players out in the wild or whatnot (those games use a "persistant" game world).

But finding a group in Guild Wars is easy. Firstly, Guild Wars is one of the more successful MMOs out there in terms of player populations. WoW is king still, but GW also has millions. Towns are full and it's easy to find people to work with.

Crafting: It's not much in this aspect compared to some other MMOs. The player doesn't really do the crafting, just bring materials over to an NPC armorer, weaponsmith, tailor, etc. But reward & looted items are superior. This is a big letdown with the game, IMO.

As of right now, there's several chapters with Guild Wars:

The original Guild Wars "chapter"

Factions - Brings 2 new classes a whole new continent; uses an "asian" background; more items / gear

Nightfall - Brings 2 new classes a whole new continent; uses an "african / middle eastern" theme; more items /gear

Eye of the North - I was deployed before seeing this, so I can't say what it really brings, but as I understand, it's an offshoot of the original Guild Wars campaign / chapter.

The thing with the chapters of GW is that they really bring about a different theme and feel in them. The classes they've introduced in the subsequent chapters really do feel different than the predecessors, but having their inherent strengths and weaknesses as they should.

I need say that Guild Wars is also very, very stable as far as MMOs go. MMOs are known to be buggy, and some are notorious to be horribly bug infested (Star Wars Galaxies for instance). GW however is rock solid. All of the chapters / expansions, except Eye of the North which I haven't tried yet, are permeated with quality. The story, narration, in-game texts, etc. are done very well with no indication of idiots running things *ahem, Star Wars Galaxies*. Nightfall, the last I tried before going on deployment, was done exceptionally well. You'll see what I mean once you try some other MMOs :lol:

Regarding the chapters and the special classes they bring, you can only start a character with the "special class" in that chapter's world. But you can find loot / rewards useful to that special class even in the newer chapters. Example: Assassins can only start in Factions. However, if I took that assassin later on into Nightfall, I will find gear there that my assassin can use. Once you've levelled up enough, you can venture out to the different chapters (provided you bought them, of course). I took my original GW character and have brought her all over Factions' and Nightfall's worlds.

Guild Wars overall is a solid game, especially if you're casual. There are no subscription fees, just pay for the expansions. You can stop playing for months and come back... like I did... and your toon is still there. No heartaches, just catch up on what's current. The game has many expansions which all bring alot to the table. The game is permeated with quality; very stable. There's lots of people to play with. Not as deep gameplay as "Sandbox" MMOs, but it makes you prepare and think about your build before adventuring.

Good luck on RF Online.

Check out these sites for more MMO.

(F2P - Free to Play)

(P2P - Pay to Play)

Resource site(s)

http://www.mmorpg.com

http://www.onrpg.com/ - has a directory list of P2P and F2P MMO's.

Company site(s)

http://www.gpotato.com/

http://www.plaync.com

Game sites:

http://maplestory.nexon.net

http://www.ageofconan.com

http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/home/index.php

Everything that Warmaker stated is true, (sidenote... your maxed to 8 skills during your instances and PvP).

Between 2005 and 2007, I socked away some serious time in Warcraft. PvP, raiding guild, end game content, officer, the whole 9 yards. Though I still keep involved with my guild to a small degree, I no longer play WoW. Sure, every once in a while I might hop on for a month, but I got out of it what I wanted to. I've had that gaming experience. Would I do it again? No. But I'm glad to have had it.

9 million players can't be wrong.

Hello and welcome aboard washinglady, however I don't believe the mods might be enthusiastic in posting hack/cheat mod plus pay site in their forums for games.

IMO, as a gamer... play the game first, read the strategy guides to help you with the game, rather than cheat.

If you must buy uber/specialty items w/real money, purchase them from the original gamming companies that created/released the game(s) and/or endorsed by the originating gaming company(ies), not from 2nd/3rd party companies who does not have endorsement or from individuals.

Edited by Dangaioh

Single player games like oblivion are superior imo. You are always the hero (or someone who does something significant) who saves the land from destruction not some dude making items for others or having people along for a raid taking the riches when sneaking is more fun.

I think Guild Wars is good though. It won't make you obsessed to keep playing to make the most of a monthly fee.

I've seen some bad things happen to people over WoW. Hell, its not just WoW, there is a history of this with online gaming.

share us your stories. I'm thinking the noobs to mmorpgs are curious about what makes them so addicitive.. Haven't MUDs existed for ages? What makes them so different to MMORPGs? And why take it so serious? It's just a game isn't it? You shouldn't want to quit work over it? Is it just a small number of obsessed fans who are like this or are there normal gamers who don't let it affect their everyday life who play it? And how much of it is media myth/hype, and how much is real?

Do you have to commit for 8 hours straight to get anything done and can't eat or sleep or poo because the world is happening in real time so you might die if you leave the computer? Is that why it's dangerous? (say there is a burning smell in the house and it causes fire but you don't notice it because you are playing an MMORPG, would that make the player ignore the emergency so his in-game character won't die in the middle of a fight for example?)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Hello and welcome aboard washinglady, however I don't believe the mods might be enthusiastic in posting hack/cheat mod plus pay site in their forums for games.

IMO, as a gamer... play the game first, read the strategy guides to help you with the game, rather than cheat.

If you must buy uber/specialty items w/real money, purchase them from the original gamming companies that created/released the game(s) and/or endorsed by the originating gaming company(ies), not from 2nd/3rd party companies who does not have endorsement or from individuals.

yea, no hacks/cheats, retail wow will ban you for that shiet. i play on a "private" (aka free) server 'cause i happen to mod my friend's music forum (he created a wow server after i became a mod) and that's how i got into wow. AND we ban ppl who hack and exploit xiet on his private server. usin' a hack means that a player suxs, learn to play instead.

i haven't posted any links to the private server or to a a top 100 list of the top wow private servers 'cause private servers are "illegal" (but they are popular) and i'm pretty sure that the admins would object to my links (just like Dangaioh said about postin' hack/cheat mods).

DJ Loe Kee does have point about private servers, they are illegal but are the most popular since the mods are on top of most hacks, cheats, bots (automating your character to level or hunt items while you are away from your gaming PC), and players yelling out their for sale items in general chats.

(Now for the hijack portion of this post, sorry Kung Flu.)

To answer your Q's 1/1... there are some... as far as history is concerned, I could not say. Check out the tech reports on most of your favorite .com news sites or tech sites (CNET.com) for more info. I do recall and actual news report about an MMORPG taking over a family life, however the ending to the story is quite disturbing.

Now how does a player (such as myself) convey as to why MMORPG's are sometimes addictive? Best way I can describe it is...

Remember that first RPG you played on your computer or console (for me, it's Final Fantasy 3 [u.S. Release] and Xenogears), and the quest - plus side quest (sometimes intertwining w/the main story) you have to complete? Add to that, the extra hour needed to level and gain more $$ to buy the equipment or item for your character (just because of the fact that you can't put that controller down) to defeat boss characters? To top it off, your friends stop by to see how you are and felt left alone because your playing a single player game while controlling a fighter, a mage, a healer, a ninja and a summoner (so many characters to play for one person).

Now, use this same formula to get that feeling, into a 3rd/1st person P.O.V., while playing with friends (especially the one friend that you blew away because you're too busy fighting against Kefka) and complete strangers. But instead of playing multiple characters, you're playing with one that suits your needs and the way you want to act in that fantasy, scifi or comic book setting (City of Hereoes/Villains).

The weirdest thing of all, act like yourself, act like your character (Role Play the part) or totally opposite of yourself mentally, personally, by gender or any in combination.

Sidenote, yes I made a Mazinger Z (minus the wings) and Priss's Hardsuit (minus the Motoslave) in City of Heroes.

I've got several MMORPGs under my belt 'o experience <<geek<<

What makes MMO's addictive (to varying degrees) for people? Here's *my* reasons why.

- Multiplayer... the people. Lots and lots of people. Firstly, you have to like playing with and / or against people. If multiplayer isn't your thing, then stop right here and don't check out an MMO ^_^ The people you play with is a big factor, whether there's lots of people on that MMO or not, but IMO, too few people will make an MMO look like a ghost town and will suck. Really, if I wanted to play a single player game, there's better focused games for that style of play. But the population, just like in any multiplayer game, has a very wide scope of personalities. You got your a**hats. You got your teamplayers. You got people that won't help you when you're in trouble, but fortunately they're few. More often than not, when you're in trouble, if some stranger is passing nearby, they'll come over and help. Maybe talk a little... and possibly add another person to your Friends List in the game. Organized groups of players, usually called Guilds, are another focus point for this multiplayer aspect. The players are part of tighter knit membership. They'll help each player out in their progression, quests, or to help get gear they really need to improve. They'll organize these events with the possible addition of PvP events (Player vs Player), even against other Guilds. Some guilds are purely PvE (Player vs Environment), some purely for PvP, usually most guilds do a bit of both. Anyways, the people make a big difference whether you keep logging in or not. I could be trying to solo some area or quest or as part of a small group, have trouble, and some buddies happen to log in. You greet each other, see what each other's going to do, and they may very go out of their way (sometimes a loooonngg way) to rendezvous with you and help out. The main thing is this with MMORPGs: An MMO will have a more tight nit "community" of players.

- The game's "Persistency"... the permanence of what you do with your character(s). This is quite broad since it covers so many things.

---- Your character: Your levels (for the games that use "levels"), your gear, your character's skills, "badges" or "accomplishments" showing what your toon has done. Getting all these things doesn't come quick and a degree of time and effort is always required just like any game. You'll hear terms like "Grinding" that refer to this "work." Some MMOs balance this (like old Star Wars Galaxies, Lord of the Rings Online, Guild Wars). Some MMOs are absolutely notorious for this (Lineage II comes instantly to mind... OMG was that bad).

---- Effects in the game world. How permanent and visible your efforts are for other players to see. This isn't easily done for PvE aspects of the game. But PvP, this is quite possible. Some games like Lineage II and Guld Wars will have castles, forts, etc. that can be controlled by a Guild of players. They can hold onto it until another Guild removes them. I'm not sure how the mechanics of this are since I'm not the biggest PvPer despite having also played alot in Guild Wars, but I also do know that holding such things usually brings some sort of reward to those controlling it.

- Huge game world. A very major factor to me, IMO, and the advantage a decent MMORPG will have over the the majority of single player RPGs (Oblivion for the consoles & PC belongs to one of the few game franchises that feature huge game worlds). MMO game worlds need to be large. Space for content to bait the player along. Space for exploration. Players want to see new sites, and developers will be wise to provide new areas over time. Be among the first to see an area (and find the loot / rewards for that area), especially when a game is new. You hear about it from other players, but you have to see it yourself. But MMORPGs get another advantage like some PC game titles: Expansion Packs. These packs offer a variety of things, but new lands to explore is always included. Mature MMOs like Guild Wars and WoW will usually have an immense game world to explore.

- Loot, Rewards, Gear. Like every game, PC or Console, MMO or not, you're always looking for better gear, even when your character's fully levelled. Any half-successful MMO will introduce new gear over time to keep enticing the existing players, and developers with half a brain will provide lots of gear that's useful to a wide range of players and playstyles. If the game goes down the route of a few sets of gear that trump all, then that's a bad sign for variety. Anyways, some people out there really, really buy into this. We call them, "Lootwhores" :lol

- The Game System / Gameplay. Again, just like any game, some MMOs style will click more with certain players.

It's all good with an MMO, just as long as one remembers their priorities. As an avid MMO player, it surprises me to hear about some of those player disasters out there.

P.S. - Regarding the Crafting aspect of MMORPGs. When an MMO comes out, there is almost always a question posed about Crafting. Why? Because some games in the past have done very well. A good Crafting system can be very deep in gameplay. It could be a completely different experience within the same game. I will use Star Wars Galaxies as an example (before Sony made the game nosedive with oversimplistic changes in late 2005). SWG used to have one of the most sophisticated, deep crafting systems in any MMO. To be a good crafter, you had to be dedicated to it the same way combat players are with fighting. Believe it or not, there were many players who loved playing only for the Crafting and Merchant aspect of SWG in the past. I knew a bunch who never fully developed a combat oriented character, but put all their time and effort with Crafting and the business side of the game. Crafters could band together for a bigger, overall operation, or be the "little guy" in business. Either way, you eventually had good crafters competing. I had my favorite crafters that I returned all the time to buy their gear (old SWG had items wear away given time, use, and / or combat). I had my favorite shopkeepers for weapons, armor, etc. They made good gear for good prices. In the old SWG, Crafters made the best possible gear. Provided they had the proper crafting equipment with great quality, all they needed was the rare, expensive materials. They could come up with the materials and make it (depending on rarity) and sell it to you with the standard, expensive price. However, they would make it far cheaper for you if you went out and got the resources needed, come back, and let them do it. I had many great weapons done that way from the same weaponsmith in the old days of SWG.

Like I said, some people really love that aspect of gaming in an MMO. It's not my style after having tried it, especially since I'm a combat oriented player. But it was great to interact with a crafter and conducting business. For some, that's all they cared for in an MMO.

Heres my lowdown. I played WoW from when it was brand new up until a few months ago. I'll never touch it again. The game play is pretty much login quest mindlessly in highly repetitious quest lines where one seems to be exactly like the one before. Before long you've got friends than the game is pretty much a really complex game of solitare with MSN built in. In the end you play only because you have people to talk to there. In the end you sit there for 5 hours doing nothing to progress the game because your waiting for the people you usually quest with who for some reason haven't shown up tonight.

Trust me get a good Macross model some good music sit down near your computer left open on MW with MSN open and work away. Its about the same thing in the end plus you actually have something cool to show off.

I found wow gobbled up too much of my "gaming" time, and even my casual guild managed to get fairly hardcore before i left. It's hard to find a casual middle ground in WoW with out feeling like you're missing out on the main point of the game.

play at your own risk.

Thats what I was told. I asked my friend "can't you just play for an hour or two...not 12-15." He said the way WoW is set up you can't just play for a little bit. I've never played it, so I don't know if that is the truth or not.

you technically can just play for an hour or two at a time. but a LOT of the game is setup around instance raiding, including most of the story lines.

So you may invest 20 hour long game sessions into a story line, get engrossed only to have the story force you into a 20 man instance. Most of those instance runs will take hours and hours to complete if you're not in a good instance guild, which you won't be in because you only play casually.

Really, wow is like having a part time job ON TOP of your normal job, and you pay it instead of viseversa.

stay away, value your soul.

I play WoW all the time - a little too much I think. I log in nearly every day for at least 3 hours, make some gold, do a little fishing / cooking / crafting.

Basically, WoW has replaced my TV watching time. My guild raids (10+ people working together to take down much harder monsters for better loot).

I have finished the single player part of WoW on my Hunter, and the raid content is really all thats left for me to do. The lore and background behind the raid dungeons is also very interesting.

Thats what I was told. I asked my friend "can't you just play for an hour or two...not 12-15." He said the way WoW is set up you can't just play for a little bit. I've never played it, so I don't know if that is the truth or not.

That's pretty fair. Early on, it takes a lot of time getting from one place to another and most quests will do things like have you go from one place on the map to another. And since you'll be walking everywhere the first few levels... it takes a while. Later on, you'll be able to fly from town to town but by that time you'll be going into instances that take a while to clear out. And in the end game... it can take 2 hours just to get everybody ready to go into the instance... let alone the 5 hours it will take you to actually clear it.

Why did they ban IP from asia?

Reply from their admin:

Originally Posted by ClouDMechA

Thank you for submitting your recent request to Codemasters Customer Services concerning RF Online.

Due to high levels of fraud and player support for illegal activity in the game, we have had to take significant measures to maintain the integrity of the RF Online service.

We have blocked a number of IP addresses that fall outside of our operating territory. We have also blocked IPs associated with suspicious activity. If you are unable to connect to the game and are trying to connect from outside our operating territory, you will no longer be able to play the game, unfortunately.

This changes will remain in place for the foreseeable future, and we will not respond to any appeal emails I'm afraid, as these changes are not reversable.

We are very sorry to have been forced into this action, but this action is absolutely necessary. The in-game economy and the commercial viability of the game are both threatened and action has to be taken to protect the future operation of RF Online.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this email and INCLUDE THIS LINE IN YOUR REPLY:-

{|CALLID|}=XXXXXXXX

Or include the entire text of this email.

Kind regards

Rob

Codemasters Customer Services

I say those freakin gold seller makes them pull this stunt, but that doesn't prove that asian countries is the source of those gold seller.

I play WoW all the time - a little too much I think. I log in nearly every day for at least 3 hours, make some gold, do a little fishing / cooking / crafting.

Basically, WoW has replaced my TV watching time.

Not sure about Guild Wars, but as for WoW, I suggest that if possible dont touch it. It's like drugs.

I have 2 friends who are playing wow. Wow ruined their lives. 1 of them haven't been working nor schooling for nearly a year bcos of wow. He was a good friend who loves outdoors, and now, whenever we ask him to go out for dinner/movies/chatting/gathering/party/birthday celebration etc. he will say he can't make it due to "raids" in the game.

I do play wow, but I play it for money as I sells them online, it earns good money :lol:

Not sure about Guild Wars, but as for WoW, I suggest that if possible dont touch it. It's like drugs.

I have 2 friends who are playing wow. Wow ruined their lives. 1 of them haven't been working nor schooling for nearly a year bcos of wow. He was a good friend who loves outdoors, and now, whenever we ask him to go out for dinner/movies/chatting/gathering/party/birthday celebration etc. he will say he can't make it due to "raids" in the game.

I do play wow, but I play it for money as I sells them online, it earns good money :lol:

Ha sounds like one of my friends. We were on a trip and he was going through withdrawls like a drug addict. He was all twitchy, sweaty and pasty.

I don't have an actual addiction to WoW (don't all addicts say that?), I just don't watch as much TV as I used to. I still have a full time job, eat dinner with the family, and even take the dog for a walk every now and then. As for raiding, well, thats 3-4 nights a week, but never on Friday or Saturday night, our guild reserves those nights for personal time.

:angry: I just spent three days downloading RF online, only for it to not install on my PC, my computer just freezes when I launch the installer. :angry:

I must have downloaded a corrupt installer, Looks like I have to download it again :(

:angry: I just spent three days downloading RF online, only for it to not install on my PC, my computer just freezes when I launch the installer. :angry:

I must have downloaded a corrupt installer, Looks like I have to download it again :(

Try this one:

Wink Having Problems Playing RF Because It Won't Update?? Check This Out

Well this is how i did first you download winrar so extracting will be easier because others will extract 75% and freeze. Okay download winrar and if you don't have it the link is down there. when done with that download the following files:Game Client,Update 1 & 2.when done extracting it all then install all of the files. when you finished installing everything you should open the game client and it should be patching around 112 more files then when it is done you should be able to play.Welcome everyone.If it doesn't work sorry.. if works then yea haha if you wanna say thanks to me or sumthing my name on rf online is Chinaman with a cap C in beginning see ya on RF =]

Winrar:

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0...winrar&tag=srch

Game Client:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/rfon...updates;title;3

Update 1:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/rfon...=result;title;0

Update 2:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/rfon...updates;title;6

Codemaster RF have some serious problem with their update server. However this is one of the MMORPG with great graphics (especially the coras :D)

WoW is fun. I have 2 70s and a 61 (my old Main; Millia) but now I use my warlock Gorefiend(PVE affliction) and my paladin Milliatres(PVP holy). My wife finally got around to hittin 70 so she pvps with me on her druid. Its fun, but like... just remember when to call it a night etc.

druids are tite. i've never played a warlock 'cause i see them as a cross between a mage and a hunter. i have also never played a priest but a shadow priest sounds cool. i have nothin' against warlocks, i just think that i have TOO MANY toons as it is (keep readin').

i have a n.e. hunter, a n.e. rogue, a n.e. druid, a n.e. warrior, a b.e. hunter, a b.e. rogue, a b.e. mage and a b.e. paladin on the private server. they are all 70's but it doesn't compare to retail (i can get to 70 in 1-3 days on the private server 'cause everything like gold, experience, drops, ect. is like 25x blizzard rates). my bad, my b.e. rogue is level 40 something and my b.e. hunter is level 16-19. but i haven't played them in 2-3 weeks so they should be 70... but i was spendin' too much time on the wow private server. just imagine, i was spendin' all this free time on the wow private server... so i would have been even worse if i was playin' retail wow.

and as for addiction. i don't see that as a problem. it's just that some ppl choose to spend all of their time playin' wow. if they quit their jobs to play wow than i hope that they sell their epic toon for $500+ after awhile (a gm on the private server sold his retail level 70 warrior with t6 for $500... note, this is illegal in retail wow so don't go sellin' your toons, get caught, get banned and then blame me... i'm just sayin' what ppl do...). i blame blizzard for makin' the game TOO LONG. the private server used to be blizzlike (gold, experience, drops at retail levels) so i remember mobs droppin' copper and thinkin' "i'll never have enough gold to buy my n.e hunter a sword, i hate this dagger."

i haven't played retail wow but i said on the private server forum that i was goin' to get a retail account so that i could level a toon to 70 before the new expansion pack "wrath of the lich king" comes out. but ppl who play retail wow AND the private server told me that the new expansion pack would come out before i hit level 70 (i didn't know it takes that long to level in retail wow). so i blame blizzard for the addiction, not the players. they are simply just tryin' to get to level 70. blizzard wants players to spend 1-2 years just to get to level 70 (i'm just throwin' out 1-2 years as an example since i really don't know how long it will take to get to level 70) so that they keep payin' those monthly fees to them.

yea, i want to get a retail account but i'd rather buy a final fantasy game before i give blizzard my money (i won't bother to post the reasons why i hate wow 'cause i will still play the game. those reasons are more of a rpg issue that i think blizzard needs to improve. yes, i used to play rpg games on the 8bit sega system.)

but then again. wow isn't cocaine or heroin or cigarettes so the addiction can be fixed. it's not like they quit playin' wow and they have "withdrawal".

Reminds me of my time in Lineage II when it first came out. After playing ages and ages and ages I still had not reached a level where I could branch off and begin one of the higher classes. I couldn't even get to a level or point in the game where I could do any decent PvP without getting annihalated in a few seconds (because really, you NEED to be high level to even PvP).

I wanted to like it, but holy jeez did that game demand too much time for minimal gains.

WoW DJ, thats crazy. I don't think I would like it on a private server, simply because I think that WoW is too easy already. Solo Black Temple? yawn. Run it with 25 people and throw in unpredictability into the mix = win