DESTROID MONSTER KITS?

darkspartan36

HI ALL!!

I am new here, but I was wondering......

How many different types of Destroid Monster Model Kits have been made? What is readily available from time to time for purchase. What are the going prices on these kits? Which kit is the best? What scale??? LOL ETC.......

Any pictures of boxes/kits, finished examples would also be helpfull.

I am particularly interested in a 1/100 kit I have read others talking about. I know of the 144 resin kit which also looks like a nice kit, but is 200 dollars expensive or no?

Any Info/Pics would be greatly appreciated. Out of all the variants, The MONSTER would be one of my top 3 BADASS looking mechs of all time!

Thanks in Advance ALL! :)

Hi mate, welcome to MW.

Here's a good place to start. Just surf around to check out which kits have been produced in plastic and resin. Boxart, instructions, etc. are all there too.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models/_models_index.htm

For completed examples you're best off to search through MW. There are a few Chinese and Japanese websites around that do a lot of Macross, but can't help with links - I usually follow someone else's. :)

Monster kits made to date: (to my knowledge)

1/200 Monster - plastic injection (out of production) expensive

1/160 Monster - plastic injection (out of production) expensive

1/144 Monster - Resin (not sure of production status) expensive

1/100 Monster - Resin - I forget who produced this but isn't in production anymore. (this is a very high quality sculpt as well on par with Mike's sculpt)

1/72 Monster - resin wonderfest kit (out of production) very expensive, sux

1/72 Monster - resin Mike Salzo original sculpt (another run may be coming), best price for highest quality.

Many including myself consider Mikes sculpt of the monster the best of all the kits produced. For the size of this kit (HUGE!) the price is very resonable although could still be considered quite expensive depending on your situation.

The 1/72 scale monsters are huge like lawn art statue huge.

Edited by Grayson72

Occasionally they go on eBay but bidding is usually swift and prices are highish when you consider that back in 84-85 when The plastic 1/200 and 1/160 kit came out they were less than $20 each. But these days you get so little chance at getting one people will pay high.

If/when Mike does another run his Postman Chaser is the best bar none, If you have the cash and the space get it.

Occasionally they go on eBay but bidding is usually swift and prices are highish when you consider that back in 84-85 when The plastic 1/200 and 1/160 kit came out they were less than $20 each. But these days you get so little chance at getting one people will pay high.

If/when Mike does another run his Postman Chaser is the best bar none, If you have the cash and the space get it.

I saw that a member here put up a classic kit and fetched 83 dollars for it. If I would have been on to it then, like I am interested now, that would have been a definate purchase!!

Thanks for the info above on the kits also.

You are right, the 1/72 MUST be huge!!!

I think the 1/144 kit looks really detailed and is a good compromise to size. If I were to build a diorama of 1/100 factory etc... the 1/144 monster kit would go nicely proportional in the distance ie: on a hill guarding the base or something.

Thanks again all for that info, exactly what I wanted. But pics of finished kits would be cool! :)

In my opinion the 1/144 monster is one of the best detailed sculpts I have ever seen. There are recast copies over the internet on Ebay. I don't know of these copies of copies quality though.

Mike's Monster is the best bargain regarding size/price and is quite detailed and accurate.

I think i recall reading of a 1/60 Wonder festival Monster than never made it out of design prototype stage...

Edited by 007-vf1

oh yes the 1/72 monster is quite large. Dwarfs even the other 1/72 destroids. Theres only one other macross garage kit that comes neat the Monster and that is the Booster and launch vehicle

post-2293-1197524513_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1197524530_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1197524569_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1197524596_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1197524621_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

oh yes the 1/72 monster is quite large. Dwarfs even the other 1/72 destroids. Theres only one other macross garage kit that comes neat the Monster and that is the Booster and launch vehicle

How much was the price on the 1/72 Monster kit, from "Mike" Is it?

I tracked down the thread on it, and he said he was only making 11 more kits, Know if there are any to be had? :huh:

Mike's monster kit is one of the most impressive Macross kits in existence, until you see one in person you can't truly understand its magnificence. I have mine still primed but I am agonizing over the paint scheme. If there is a second run it will make my life easier because I want one by the book and one with a fun, unique paint scheme. If you can afford one, don't hesitate if he offers a run, when you get the box you will know your money was some of the best spent modelling money you have ever spent.

Edited by Ghadrack

• 5 weeks later...