Gasaraka

Godzilla

If you mean Gasaraki, then yes I can recommend it. But it's definitely not for everybody, as opinions on it around here run extremely hot and cold. You either love it or you hate it.

I thought I might have misspelled it. Thanks for the correction and the skinny. Did you like it?

If you can rent it first then do so. The pacing is kinda slow but it has the most awesome mecha designs. How much is the box set? I think it's an aweful lot to be spending on something you never seen and don't know what to expect?

The first three disc are really slow. I had trouble getting into it but then in disc 4 things pick up and get interesting. I'm on disc 6 right now and it's pretty interesting except that I'm a little lost since I don't remember the first few discs.

Oh yeah, and the TAs are pretty damn cool looking.

Gasaraki is like watching CNN with mechs thrown in for the Hell of it. A real snore fest with a bit of a confusing story. If you're looking for a good mecha series, stray clear of this one. The only reason I bought it was because the HK set of it included a soundtrack and the opening theme is so nice ^_^;

Gasaraki is not as much a mech show, as it is a military show with mechs.

The 1st 8 eps. is mostly about military strategy, and if you don't like that stuff, it WILL bore you.

Persoanlly, I enjoyed the series.

Oh, it's the first (and probably only to this date) show that portrays mechs as the should be; SLOW.

Gasaraki is an Eva clone, make no doubts about it. Right down to the female lead's hairstyle!

The mecha designs are some of the best around, no doubts about it, but the plot is... engh. As other have said, the show is slow and ponderous, seemly standing still in some sections. The combat scenes are woefully few and far inbetween, but when they do show up, they're pretty freaking amazing and they do a decent job of breaking up the tedium of the rest of the show.

The ending is much like that in Evangelion: whacky, out there, bizzare, and even truely strange.

I'd strongly reccomend renting it first before you spend the money on the boxset.

If you can rent it first then do so. The pacing is kinda slow but it has the most awesome mecha designs. How much is the box set? I think it's an aweful lot to be spending on something you never seen and don't know what to expect?

I saw the boxset on Buy.com for like $100.

I have the box set. I like the show. Like it was said before it starts off slow then picks up fast. The story line was unique to me. The mecha were animated very nicely. I would recomend this one. The mecha were more realistic moving and were a good size. Nothing gigantic, perfect for urban combat.

Gasaraki is a mature, slow paced story. It has non of the classic silly features that most anime posses. This is why I like it. Think if they made the Patlabor series in the style of the Patlabor movies. Plot based, does not feel the need to fanservice (most of the time that is). Its also pretty dark. Its not a mecha series in the traditional sense. It stays away from pointless fights, and emphasies on story telling through dialog. It certainly is not for everyone. BTW off of amazon I got the whole set for 40 bucks. It is not a boot, its the real deal. It wasn't very popular for obvious reasons, so check the used section of amazon.

Edited by GobotFool

A great series I would recommend it. It's not for everyone. If you have a short attention span and don't enjoy complicated plots and storyline, then stay away from the series. The TA's have to be the best concieved mechs I've ever seen in any anime series.

A great series I would recommend it. It's not for everyone. If you have a short attention span and don't enjoy complicated plots and storyline, then stay away from the series. The TA's have to be the best concieved mechs I've ever seen in any anime series.

The method of control was brilliant. Only better method for controling a mecha, direct cybernetic brain link people :)

I'm getting the dvds through netflix so I'm only spending time....yeah it is definately s l o w moving, I'm about 3/4 through and no sign of speeding up yet. It's also hard to keep track of where I am cause each dvd shows up about 2-3 weeks apart. It has an interesting premise, but the character's just don't feel real. Subplot within subplot within subplot make for a massively complex (doesn't mean good) story so I'd definately recommend you rent/borrow it before you plunk down cash

Being a huge mecha anime fan I was sure I would love it. Wow I was wrong. I eventually bought 7 of the 8 discs. I never saw the eighth disc, nor do I have any desire to do so. That alone should tell yo uhow bad it is, I watched 7 volumes worth of the anime, and decided to abondon it with only one left ot go. The series was way too slow, and really missed on great oportunities to play up key scenes. There were a couple of good episodes here and there, but the vast majority were slow and uninteresting. I could get into more details of specifics on why it sucked, but that would be giving out huge spoilers, which I am sure you don't want. Bottom line, rent it first.

Gasaraki is a mature, slow paced story. It has non of the classic silly features that most anime posses. This is why I like it. Think if they made the Patlabor series in the style of the Patlabor movies. Plot based, does not feel the need to fanservice (most of the time that is). Its also pretty dark. Its not a mecha series in the traditional sense. It stays away from pointless fights, and emphasies on story telling through dialog. It certainly is not for everyone. BTW off of amazon I got the whole set for 40 bucks. It is not a boot, its the real deal. It wasn't very popular for obvious reasons, so check the used section of amazon.

Are you sure? I saw it for $153 on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...?v=glance&s=dvd

Check the used section.

As I said, for people who prefer fast paced anime, with lots of combat stay away. This is slow, at times painfully so, but still a worthwhile watch if your willing to stick through it. Granted I have yet to see the end, mostly cause I got distracted by the real world. Its an anime that has mecha in it, but not really a mecha anime. The mecha are intergrated into the plot. Also Gasaraki has very little fanservice, which I consider a good thing. (incase you have not guessed I hate fanservice ;) too much fan service make this gobot's circuit's sizzle ) Think if Tom clancy decided to make a mecha anime ;)

Edited by GobotFool

Check the used section.

I see it.

As I said, for people who prefer fast paced anime, with more combat than plot, stay away. This is slow, at times painfully so, but still a worthwhile watch if your willing to stick through it. Granted I have yet to see the end, mostly cause I got distracted by the real world. It is not a mech anime. Its an anime that has mecha in it, and they are part of the plot, but not to the point where they feel the need to fanservice all the time. (incase you have not guessed I hate fanservice ;) too much fan service make this gobot's circuit's sizzle )

Well, my friend could say the same about Macross. He said it was boring but I think he is talking about Robotech show not the actual Macross TV.

Well, when Macross didn't have mecha fights or other action going on, it was still gripping with it's romantic story. Gasaraki didn't grip me. If you like some blind Japanese dude talking about the prices of wheat, then by all means, pick this up :p

Love or hate the show, if you like good mecha design, you ow it to yourself to pick up at least one of the model kits. Gasaraki is a Geopolitical thriller. Macross is a love epic set up upon the backdrop of war, not a good comparison.

Edited by GobotFool

The first half of Gasaraki is indeed a geopolitical thriller with some potential,

but the 2nd half got watered down and became an archeology mystery,

I think the show should stop before they start digging up 1000 years old robots.

I felt the 2nd half was more of a commentary on the social, political, and economical situations on Japan, and the rest of the world.

If you think about it, both halves actually do compliment each other pretty well. The 1st was in a way commenting on world issues on the for front, the 2nd more on what goes on in the background.

Well, when Macross didn't have mecha fights or other action going on, it was still gripping with it's romantic story. Gasaraki didn't grip me. If you like some blind Japanese dude talking about the prices of wheat, then by all means, pick this up :p

:lol: I think I will skip and let my buddy waste money on it. Hey, I can watch it for free. :D

Well, I saw parts of it a while ago...and have stayed away from it since then.

Some of the mech designs, and some of the action is OK...but I couldn't get into the rest.

Didn't seem like a geopolitical thriller to me, seemed like a yawner. I'm just fine with story/character driven anime, but this had nothing I liked.

Edited by Phyrox

Well, I saw parts of it a while ago...and have stayed away from it since then.

Some of the mech designs, and some of the action is OK...but I couldn't get into the rest.

Didn't seem like a geopolitical thriller to me, seemed like a yawner. I'm just fine with story/character driven anime, but this had nothing I liked.

Gasaraki is an anime that you really have to sit down, and really pay attentioin.

It is very slow, but then so are most politcal dramas.

It's just that this one happens to have mechs.

LOL!! Well said Vinny! Yeah, I've decided to abandon this one, the story wasn't going anywhere and I really wasn't looking forward to more arriving in the mail