Maverick destroid

Justiciar

Where does the LDR-04 Maverick destroid fit into Macross canon? It's listed at the Macross Compendium, but it's under the Mardook. Does that mean it's part of Macross II?

Would you consider the VF-4G Lightning III to be part of the Space War I time frame? Granted, we only see a protoype in the series (I think...when Hikaru is in the hospital...?) and in action on-screen it's limited to the very end of FB2012...

Is the Cheyenne done for by the time of SWI? Excluding the "common" destroids and the Valkyrie, is there any other mecha that you would consider to be apart of the SWI timeframe? Frex, the VF-0 and SV-51, or do you consider that a completely separate era and ne'er the two shall meet?

I'm making a table-top game and want to be complete and reasonably accurate. Thanks in advance

It's possible a VF-4G could have been part of Space War I. Technically it didn't enter mass production until 2012, under two years after the end of the war. But I suppose it's possible a fully working prototype could have existed and even been deployed in some manner. We know that other variable fighters have produced combat ready prototypes one or two years before mass production begins. The YF-19 is one such example. We also know the prototype VF-11 was used in a military operation before mass production.

I think it's completely unrealistic to assume the VF-0 wasn't involved in some manner during Space War I, especially given how close the deployment date for the series was to the beginning of the war. Over thirty VF-0 fighters were built and very few destroyed during the events of Macross Zero. Given the serious threat presented by the Zentradi, there is no doubt the UNG would field everything they could against them. Once the thermonuclear reaction engines were finally ready I can't see why the VF-0s wouldn't be refit for all-environ operation and deployed in the war. This line of thinking also extends to the Cheyenne, IMO.

I think it's completely unrealistic to assume the VF-0 wasn't involved in some manner during Space War I, especially given how close the deployment date for the series was to the beginning of the war. Over thirty VF-0 fighters were built and very few destroyed during the events of Macross Zero. Given the serious threat presented by the Zentradi, there is no doubt the UNG would field everything they could against them. Once the thermonuclear reaction engines were finally ready I can't see why the VF-0s wouldn't be refit for all-environ operation and deployed in the war.

I agree. And while the Macross was on it's way home from Pluto space, we really didn't get too much information on what was going on back on Earth. I'm sure the UNG as well as local earth governments were scrambling to get their hands on anything they could. Especially while the Vrlitwhai scout fleet was still in orbit after the Macross folded out. I wouldn't be suprised if prototype blueprints for all sorts of mecha were sold off or outsourced to private companies as well so there could have been all sorts of stuff we didn't get to see. Maybe the next macross series or movie will take place on earth during that time period ^_^

Where does the LDR-04 Maverick destroid fit into Macross canon? It's listed at the Macross Compendium, but it's under the Mardook. Does that mean it's part of Macross II?

Yes, and only in MII.

Would you consider the VF-4G Lightning III to be part of the Space War I time frame? Granted, we only see a protoype in the series (I think...when Hikaru is in the hospital...?) and in action on-screen it's limited to the very end of FB2012...

VF-4G? That we can't be sure. We are not sure when the G-version came about in the VF-4's service life except that it was still in service by 2047. The VF-4 probably never made it out in time for SWI. The VF-X-4 entered into development in 2005 and most development was halted due Earth being bombarded. There is a chance that combat-ready test models were in the field but their numbers were probably very very very very very small (I would think no more more than 10 units).

Is the Cheyenne done for by the time of SWI? Excluding the "common" destroids and the Valkyrie, is there any other mecha that you would consider to be apart of the SWI timeframe? Frex, the VF-0 and SV-51, or do you consider that a completely separate era and ne'er the two shall meet?

The VF-0s that were left were most likely deployed and remained on the UN Naval fleets. Considering that the VF-0 wasn't as space worthy (or economical) as its younger brother, the VF-1, the remaining VF-0s probably stayed Earth-bound.

The Cheyennes most likely stayed Earth-bound as well serving in more hostile areas.

There is a chance that combat-ready test models were in the field but their numbers were probably very very very very very small (I would think no more more than 10 units).
It is not too unusual for prototypes even incomplete ones to enter combat through usually it is when hostile forces are literally on the factory's doorstep to force such an action. Another would be one Govt, cheaper to give away then to scrape, simply hands them off to another Govt. who is desperate for any working hardware.

The setting won't be limited specifically to SWI, so I'll probably go ahead and include VF-0 (and therefore SV-51 for opposition forces), Cheyenne and VF-4 (noted on the "G"), all of which will have player deployment limitations. Granted, this is a pretty small sample to work from, I just want a little tacit approval and not risk getting completely flayed.

I guess I'll leave the Maverick out. Too bad, I rather like it.

Thanks again for your input.

Just curious - where did the Maverick destroid first appear? I was under the impression that it was part of M3, something which is canon to Macross.

Wasn't it one of the non-canon video games.

Did some research - it comes from SDF:M Remember Me, which if memory serves, was a sequel to SDF:M 2036, which is canon to Macross II.

Damn... it's a groovy Destroid, and would be a cool addition to the Studio Nue canon, in addition to filling in one of the plethora of "blanks" in the universe.

Did some research - it comes from SDF:M Remember Me, which if memory serves, was a sequel to SDF:M 2036, which is canon to Macross II.

Wha?

It is not too unusual for prototypes even incomplete ones to enter combat

True. At the beginning of the Afghanistan/Iraq offensives the FX-22 was used in combat even though it was still prototype. It didn't become the f-22 raptor until it was in full service production. Now it has replaced almost all of the US fighter-bombers and that was just over 3 years of combat tests. Same goes for the Stryker vehicle and probably a whole bunch of stuff we've never seen. Only real combat can prove a prototypes worth ;)

I'd agree with Azreal that most likely whatever VF-0's were still in service were deployed as terrestrial defence, possibly on South Ataria island and engaged the Zentreadi defending the city.

Anyone have a pic of the Maverick Destroid?

Yeah, that is a sexy destroid! :p

I may go ahead and make the model anyway, but won't include the stats.

The original color version of that pic has a signature under it that looks the same as on all the original line art. I don't know if it was drawn by SK or his friend (name starts with an M, the character designer guy) or someone else.

At the beginning of the Afghanistan/Iraq offensives the FX-22 was used in combat even though it was still prototype...

...Now it has replaced almost all of the US fighter-bombers and that was just over 3 years of combat tests...

I could be out of the loop, but I don't think either of those statements are true.

Given the large numbers of prototypes for weapon systems that eventually become operational, extremely few have ever been in combat at the prototype stage.

WWI aircraft and tanks hardly count, as they didn't really have "prototypes," at least not as we know them today.

The Germans sent a few pre-production aircraft and tanks into real combat during the second world war, but that's about all I can think of.

Edited by Phyrox

True not every system is combat tested but the systems that are ready for full production are tested in combat. I've seen it. The stryker and predator drones were the most noticable and both underwent some design changes before they went gold. LoL pretty much everything in ww1 was a prototype. that's what made it so bloody and interesting hehe

The original color version of that pic has a signature under it that looks the same as on all the original line art. I don't know if it was drawn by SK or his friend (name starts with an M, the character designer guy) or someone else.

Miyataki? If I recall he designed all the destroids. SK focused on the Valks...

Try http://www.robotechresearch.com/rpg/mecha/...k/maverick.html

Not only do they have the original colour image, but they also reference the game that it is from. (Though those stats are just plain arbitrary and have nothing to do with anything Macross, let alone Robotech... :roll: )

The signature is consistent with Miyatake Kazutaka's.

Try http://www.robotechresearch.com/rpg/mecha/...k/maverick.html

Not only do they have the original colour image, but they also reference the game that it is from. (Though those stats are just plain arbitrary and have nothing to do with anything Macross, let alone Robotech... :roll: )

The signature is consistent with Miyatake Kazutaka's.

Funny how so many non-Nue-canon designs end up in RT technical manuals, particularly fan made ones. Mac 2036 is another popular game they steel from. The VF-1x"R" series of Valks from that game are featured on the "official" RT site as the VF-1R "Veritech". They used to have the VF-1SR, etc..., but I posted in the forums that that was a BigWest design and it has since been "modified"... :rolleyes:

That's the guy. I was getting a little lazy and didn't feel like looking it up. Did Miyatki work on Macross II? Because if he drew it... I'm just saying.

No Miyatake Kazutaka didn't work on Macross II. Kouichi Ohata, Junichi Akutsu, and Jun Okuda did the mechanical designs for Macross II.

Edited by Zinjo