Yamato 1/60 YF-19 w/ Booster Review/Rat

sqidd

Well, it was bound to happen, I got a Yamato toy I am not exactly happy with. I was reasonably happy with my first two 1/60 YF-19’s and my two 1/72 YF-19A’s. But I just got a Yamato YF19 with a Fold Booster and to be frank…it sucks. In fighter mode it’s about impossible to fit the “Fast packs” which is ironic because there isn’t much too them. I can get them on, but by the time I get the other side done they have shifted a bit, then I try and fix them, then they move again and for fun it all just falls off every once in a while! I don’t know if ay of you have your FP’s mounted in fighter mode SOLID, if so what was your trick? If it were not past midnight I would probably crazy glue them on and make damn sure they were solid. Maybe it’s a good idea it’s late.

For the short term I put the FP’s on one of my other 19’s that is I Batroid mode and they popped right on, too bad it won’t do that in fighter mode. I wanted to display it that way, all “Kitted “ out.

I mounted the fold booster in fighter mode and it’s pretty damn cool. I am a little bummed out it didn’t come with batteries though. Lucky my digital calipers take the same batterys so I had plenty here to use. I’m sure most people are not so lucky. The only thing that disappoints me about the fold booster is that it can’t be mounted in Gerwalk or Fighter mode. I have not been that far into the TV/Movie/OVA series yet, so I am sure there is a reason the fold booster goes bye, bye after it transforms, but it sure would make a cool backpack for the Batroid or maybe even a way of mounting it off of a arm so it looked like some sort of ridiculous weapon of some sort! That would be cool.

I’m not sure what I am going to do I the long run with the FP’s and booster. Part of me says that I should just super glue the FP’s on the fighter, mount the booster and let it be…..forever. Another part of me says to mount the booster to the fighter, put another in Gerwalk and mount the FP’s to the Batroid. I’ll sleep on it.

Rant over.

J

Edited by sqidd

Well, it was bound to happen, I got a Yamato toy I am not exactly happy with. I was reasonably happy with my first two 1/60 YF-19’s and my two 1/72 YF-19A’s. But I just got a Yamato YF19 with a Fold Booster and to be frank…it sucks. In fighter mode it’s about impossible to fit the “Fast packs” which is ironic because there isn’t much too them. I can get them on, but by the time I get the other side done they have shifted a bit, then I try and fix them, then they move again and for fun it all just falls off every once in a while! I don’t know if ay of you have your FP’s mounted in fighter mode SOLID, if so what was your trick? If it were not past midnight I would probably crazy glue them on and make damn sure they were solid. Maybe it’s a good idea it’s late.

For the short term I put the FP’s on one of my other 19’s that is I Batroid mode and they popped right on, too bad it won’t do that in fighter mode. I wanted to display it that way, all “Kitted “ out.

I mounted the fold booster in fighter mode and it’s pretty damn cool. I am a little bummed out it didn’t come with batteries though. Lucky my digital calipers take the same batterys so I had plenty here to use. I’m sure most people are not so lucky. The only thing that disappoints me about the fold booster is that it can’t be mounted in Gerwalk or Fighter mode. I have not been that far into the TV/Movie/OVA series yet, so I am sure there is a reason the fold booster goes bye, bye after it transforms, but it sure would make a cool backpack for the Batroid or maybe even a way of mounting it off of a arm so it looked like some sort of ridiculous weapon of some sort! That would be cool.

I’m not sure what I am going to do I the long run with the FP’s and booster. Part of me says that I should just super glue the FP’s on the fighter, mount the booster and let it be…..forever. Another part of me says to mount the booster to the fighter, put another in Gerwalk and mount the FP’s to the Batroid. I’ll sleep on it.

Rant over.

J

You should contact do not disturb, he's been playing with rare earth magnets to get these things to stick correctly. I don't think he has made his way to the FP YF-19, but i'm sure he wouldn't mind providing you his input considering he's become a magnet nut recently.

I had a tad bit of difficulty at first attaching my fast packs to the YF-19, and was getting quite irritated with it. After I got used to how my 19 handles, I realized that mine is a temperamental B**CH at times. Mine has a loose above-the-knee swivel on the left leg, the left shoulder likes to pop up a bit in fighter (the right side can go pretty flush), and the left wing doesn't lock securely into the wingroot for battroid... Now that I think about it all the problems are on the left side... Hmmmm...

The method I use to go at putting on the fast packs is to first choose a side to focus on first. Then I make sure the legs are set in the correct position. Third, I put on the shoulder fast pack and secure it to the leg. Fourth, I put on the magnetic leg fast pack, and swivel the wing root back into place and firmly push the tab into the slot on the fast pack.

Now that one side is pretty secure and firmly attached, I do the exact same method on the other side and it attaches pretty firmly and securely. In fact, I find that my 19 holds together better WITH the fast packs than without. Contrary to what other members have reported with theirs. Go figure. :p

Fold Booster is fighter only, although I haven't tried taking it off the mounts and having the 19 cradle it in battroid. The only time I can recall seeing a valkyrie use a fold booster out of fighter mode was in Macross 7 Dynamite, when someone used one in battroid mode and cradled it under the arm.

Personally I think the fast packs look best on the fighter in battroid, because it makes it look more massive and less "anorexic" as some have said. In fighter mode it looks kind of chunky with fast packs. At least to me it does.

You should contact do not disturb, he's been playing with rare earth magnets to get these things to stick correctly. I don't think he has made his way to the FP YF-19, but i'm sure he wouldn't mind providing you his input considering he's become a magnet nut recently.

Thanks for the advice. I am very attracted to this idea :) If it works it's definitly something I will stick with. :p

I had a tad bit of difficulty at first attaching my fast packs to the YF-19, and was getting quite irritated with it. After I got used to how my 19 handles, I realized that mine is a temperamental B**CH at times. Mine has a loose above-the-knee swivel on the left leg, the left shoulder likes to pop up a bit in fighter (the right side can go pretty flush), and the left wing doesn't lock securely into the wingroot for battroid... Now that I think about it all the problems are on the left side... Hmmmm...

The method I use to go at putting on the fast packs is to first choose a side to focus on first. Then I make sure the legs are set in the correct position. Third, I put on the shoulder fast pack and secure it to the leg. Fourth, I put on the magnetic leg fast pack, and swivel the wing root back into place and firmly push the tab into the slot on the fast pack.

Now that one side is pretty secure and firmly attached, I do the exact same method on the other side and it attaches pretty firmly and securely. In fact, I find that my 19 holds together better WITH the fast packs than without. Contrary to what other members have reported with theirs. Go figure. :p

Fold Booster is fighter only, although I haven't tried taking it off the mounts and having the 19 cradle it in battroid. The only time I can recall seeing a valkyrie use a fold booster out of fighter mode was in Macross 7 Dynamite, when someone used one in battroid mode and cradled it under the arm.

Personally I think the fast packs look best on the fighter in battroid, because it makes it look more massive and less "anorexic" as some have said. In fighter mode it looks kind of chunky with fast packs. At least to me it does.

Thanks for the long write up. I'm going to take another crack at it today.

I 'already' posted pics of the 19' carrying the Fold like a g-blaster/surfboard...

5-3.jpg

e-2.jpg

a-2.jpg

... and my take on the 19 batt making a dive grabbing the Fold and then getting the flock out of there...

-EDIT-

Ohh crap, just remembered i haven't downloaded my latest photos off the camera. >_< Have to wait. I'll post tomorrow.

That's how i imagine the Battroid using the Fold to jump without shifting to fighter which would be impossible to mount again anyways....

And why not use the Fold again i say! Even FP's if they were discarded responsibly (by not dropping them from

10000's of feet high to their crushing demise) the pilot could just whack them back on anyways..

But of course, why would one re-attach the FP's back on? Entirely different matter. :p Fashion Victim.

ohh and squidd i have no problems with my FP's, it's just you. Murphy... It's You, Murphy it's you. :lol:

Sad quotes i know.

IMG_3917.jpg

One problem though... any sought of mad banking angle with FP's AND Fold... watch those legs come apart from their lock. :lol:

* First Edition 19 with FP's btw *

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I haven't watched M7 yet (waiting and waiting to break the dvds out) Cool that they use the Fold in Batts! :D

I knew that was possible.. just knew it! Sick of these cool spoilers, i really should watch the series.... like now.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

haha, thanks for the mention guys but i haven't bothered to get the FP's for this and don't really have any plans of doing so.

with shipping it ends up being $50+ for 4 pieces of plastic with a battery-less lightup pen...sorry but i don't think so.

in any case, theres only 1 magnet for the leg attachment which is the reason why it doesn't hold so well. i've dismantled the leg before just to see what could be done, but without knowing what the inside of the leg FP looks like its kind of pointless. i'm also unsure what kind of magnets yamato used for the leg and leg armors but being as cheap as they are, i doubt they used the high/strength quality ones(neodymium-iron-boron).

haha, thanks for the mention guys but i haven't bothered to get the FP's for this and don't really have any plans of doing so.

with shipping it ends up being $50+ for 4 pieces of plastic with a battery-less lightup pen...sorry but i don't think so.

I think I'm going to get another booster for my Batroid YF-19

Edited by sqidd

I think I'm going to get another booster for my Batroid YF-19

enjoy!

i just don't care about being a completist or keeping up with the jones's anymore. i did when i first got into this hobby and truth be told, i couldn't spend my money fast enough but i'm so over it now. it really has nothing to do with money because even if i was a millionaire(ala lordkungfu), i still wouldn't waste my money on a lot of this stuff.

to each his own. :)

I wish that CMs Corporation had included a helmet just to have, even if he couldn't wear it.

I find the toy transformation to be a genius design. I just get scared s**tless every time I transform the gullet area. The joint has some really big stress marks. It's super easy to transform now, but I keep fearing it'll break. :ph34r:

Well it's not quite easy to attach the fast pack .. but with time we can learn how to make it right .. it took me about 2 days playing and transforming mine.

first i'm putting the shoulder parts then the leg parts, slowly and surely :)

nice pic! where did you get the Isamu figure?

I wish that CMs Corporation had included a helmet just to have, even if he couldn't wear it.

[...]

i'm wishing it too .... it can be made from scratch héhé :)

nice pic! where did you get the Isamu figure?

i've found it on ebay. it's a trading kit made by CM'S "macross collection, part3" . the sculpt is great, but the paint is bad. I'm going to recast it to have a great isamu figure well painted.

Edited by isamu_dyson

Actually Jeremy007 you can get him here: Twin Moons has Isamu in stock

Tam at Twin Moons has them in stock, I saw he had a number left when I picked up my YF-19 at his place. Check out the rest of his site, he's got some nice deals, especially if you live in Southern California, because you can arrange to pick up your stuff from him to save yourself headaches with shipping and the possibility of evil mailmen. :p:lol:

I screwed with the FP's in fighter mode today and got those dialed in. Then I figured out how to mount the fold booster on the LH arm while in Batroid mode using parts that come with the kit and no extras. It will be secure and look "OEM". I ordered aother set of fp's and I will post pics when I am done. That sucker looks sweet mounted on his arm. I gotta think with som sci-fi rewiring a fold booster cold be used as a weapon. You could point it at the bad guys and "fold" them to somewhere they don't want to be, like in a star :o:p

Edited by sqidd

No problem Jeremy007. :)

I know what you mean sqidd. I thought it would be really nasty to sneak close to another mecha or capitol ship, position your valkyrie just right, and fold away so that you take half of their cockpit with you or something vital on the capitol ship (like part of the bridge). You take out the pilot or leave a gaping hole in the bridge for the command crew to be sucked out of.

Or space fold a really big reaction warhead right in the midst of an enemy fleet. No way to shoot that one down.

Mowe,

How did you attach the fold booster to the arm of the yf-19???

The trick is to bent the right elbow a little, so the booster anchor (the back ones) can just lock on to the elbow (the cream colour "U" shape part where my arrow is pointed).

post-3608-1192029882_thumb.jpg

No problem Jeremy007. :)

I know what you mean sqidd. I thought it would be really nasty to sneak close to another mecha or capitol ship, position your valkyrie just right, and fold away so that you take half of their cockpit with you or something vital on the capitol ship (like part of the bridge). You take out the pilot or leave a gaping hole in the bridge for the command crew to be sucked out of.

Or space fold a really big reaction warhead right in the midst of an enemy fleet. No way to shoot that one down.

very cool idea, but how would you direct the fold energy away from your valkyrie so you dont fold as well? Im sure there in info on it somewhere on the internet.

Ooooh, I didn't realize you guys meant to use the fold energy as a directed weapon, versus you going up to something and folding out with chunks of it.

Glad to help with the Isamu figure guys. :) I know how hair pullingly annoying it can be searching for particular trading figures while not being screwed over by evil-bay or taking the chance on some shop that you've never heard of before and no one else has either.