Transformers on DVD

areaseven

Transformers on DVD - October 16  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which exclusive version of the Transformers DVD are you getting?

• Wal-Mart (Single disc w/ bonus Prequel DVD)
    • Best Buy (2-Disc w/ bonus Optimus Prime/Cliffjumper Robot Heroes figurines)
    • Target (2-Disc w/ bonus transforming Optimus Prime DVD case + prequel comic)
    • Circuit City (w/ bonus exclusive content gift card)
    • Suncoast (2-Disc w/ steel DVD case)
    • Borders (2-Disc w/ "Making of" booklet)
    • Sears (2-Disc w/ free LED flashlight)
    • Blockbuster (Single disc w/ 128MB MP3 player)
    • Screw the exclusives! I just want the movie.
    • Me Grimlock still want stomp Michael Bay!

I think its important to remember that we all watched transformers when we were kids... KIDS. Transformers is a kids movie. You are an adult. of course its easy to find gripes with a movie that trashed a show that you loved, but if they made the movie in the style of the 80's show with no changes, the only people that would have really rated it would be the old school adult fans.

Its a kids movie about big robots that change into cars and jets etc. so as a kids movie its fantastic. get off the high horse and review it in the context of its target audience. The same thing happened to Star Wars -a bunch of adults went hoping to see what they loved as kids, but the movie wasnt really made for them, it was made for a new generation of fans....todays kids.

It really p1$$es me off when people slam a movie beacuse they are not reading it in the proper context of its target audience. its a big dumb action movie, nothing more. it was never meant to be more than that!

Sounds like a pathetic justification for dumbing down the "target" audience.

Well, it's a movie based on a dork, his whore girlfriend and giant transforming robots-it's as dumb as you can get regarding a movie storyline. If someone is seeking world shaking epiphanies and moral revelations abound in an intellectual movie/story then go watch Michael Clayton or a Shakespearian play or something-anything but Transformers... :rolleyes:

Edited by myk

Well, it's a movie based on a dork, his whore girlfriend and giant transforming robots-it's as dumb as you can get regarding a movie storyline. If someone is seeking world shaking epiphanies and moral revelations abound in an intellectual movie/story then go watch Michael Clayton or a Shakespearian play or something-anything but Transformers... :rolleyes:

Indeed, and a good point Myk! And granted, a movie will never be all things to all people, nor should it. However, its sad to think that simplicity denotes, or justifies an audiences tollerance for poor storytelling.

Sounds like a pathetic justification for dumbing down the "target" audience.

We knew all this was going to be was eyecandy first, plot and story second.. with Bay at the helm, we knew it was going to be big and dumb, so it delivered on those expectations. Dont get me wrong, I didnt think it was 'great' by any stretch of the imagination but i appreciate that it accomplishes what it set out to do reasonably well. Like i said before, it Transformers, its a big silly action movie about giant robots that has been adapted from a kids toy line. lets not judge it as if it was going for oscars. No argument meant Ahab... juist thought you were a tad harsh.

And even then, the movie is still better than most actual transformers episodes. And this is coming from someone who owns all the box sets. The original movie still reigns supreme though.

While most TF episodes were mediocre to crap... the ones that were well written were really really good for 80s american animation, I think some fo the best written of the era.

But the TF movie wasn't bad I thought, infact it was pretty good. I mean it was dumb for sure but still it was a fun action movie, and that's all I was expecting.

As anyone seen the direct to DVD knock off? Transmorphers?

And for that matter has anyone seen the exculsive DVD versions in Canada I went to walmart but it didn't seem to be there.

That's why I said "most of," not all, as there were definately some good TF episodes. If anything, backlash of parents from the movie (which I loved), killed any potential that post movie episodes had. Instead of continuing somewhat in line with the possabilities that the movie opened, we got to hear Rodimus whine constantly about why he shouldn't be leader. Made it all the funnier when Optimus was ressurected to prove him right :)

And hell, I'd even admit to being a Beast Wars fan. I was against it in the beginning, but really got into it eventually.

Transformers apparently sets yearly DVD sales record.

Dumb idea on bay considering people want to see the constructicons for the second movie.

Then again I dont see bay as the type who would take combiners into this film cause it wouldnt be "realastic" to him or alien enough.

Well, they can call the combiner anything they want. Hasbro doesn't even have the names of all of the G1 Constructicons anymore. Unless they introduce mass-shifting and/or drastically change the vehicle modes of these combiners, combiners are unrealistic in a continuity that keeps relatively consistent scale relationships between the characters. For example, in real life Long Haul would be large enough to theoretically carry most of his Constructicon team mates in his dumper.

Transformers apparently sets yearly DVD sales record.

Well, they can call the combiner anything they want. Hasbro doesn't even have the names of all of the G1 Constructicons anymore. Unless they introduce mass-shifting and/or drastically change the vehicle modes of these combiners, combiners are unrealistic in a continuity that keeps relatively consistent scale relationships between the characters. For example, in real life Long Haul would be large enough to theoretically carry most of his Constructicon team mates in his dumper.

Reminds me of something in the extras where they discuss movie Bonecrusher's design. He's the Buffalo minesweeper with that long retracting arm with the big claws/rake on the end, but in real life that rake's about the size of a pizza box.

Aerialbots would work. Concordes ARE far larger than any fighter jet. Replace Slingshot with something a bit bigger and all 4 limbs are to scale with each other. Though Fireflight as an F-4 is a bit old. Hey, make him an F-14, paint him like Jetfire, and make everybody happy. (Yes, F-14's are gone now, but so is the Concorde---and hey, Bay is the guy who had Spruance-class destroyers in Pearl Harbor)

Menasor---4 cars, plus a semi PLUS its trailer---works.

Defensor has no chance---motorcycle foot, helicopter arm, the same size?

Many of the others are too weird to work in "the real world"---Computron, Abominus, Piranacon.

Many of the others are too weird to work in "the real world"---Computron, Abominus, Piranacon.

How about Predaking? We've already got a giant mechanical scorpian so other robotic animals would probably be okay.

Aerialbots would work. Concordes ARE far larger than any fighter jet. Replace Slingshot with something a bit bigger and all 4 limbs are to scale with each other. Though Fireflight as an F-4 is a bit old. Hey, make him an F-14, paint him like Jetfire, and make everybody happy. (Yes, F-14's are gone now, but so is the Concorde---and hey, Bay is the guy who had Spruance-class destroyers in Pearl Harbor)

We've discussed issues of scale in Transformers on the TF wiki

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Scale