Maya Complete now free!

SuperOstrich

I don't believe Maya Complete was free. There was a free version available, but it was dumbed down considerably. This is Maya Complete with a watermark basically.

But you can't create anything without the watermark logo on it. This version is for those who want to dabble and experiment with it. Before even to get Maya Complete you were basically "renting" it as it would expire after a while. They stopped that nonsense so anyone who buys it can actually "own" a copy now without paying ridiculous prices.

Is my truespace stuff really that bad?

sounds like your fishing for compliments Brian... :D

You know you can make a 3D piece sh!t look good in TrueSpace.

There! how's that for a compliment! :D

haha :lol:

I wasn't fishing for compliments exactly. I just don't see what the big deal is with software. Its not the software, its the person in control of the software. I know that even if i did use maya i still couldn't get a job in the industry. there are so many artist out there and so little jobs. i'd rather just use something i know well since 3d is just a hobby.

*edit* i can't spell when i'm mad! :)

Edited by Brianw76

for all those that downloaded Maya Learning Edition, take caution:

I don't have anything against maya, I think it is a great software package, but be aware that Maya learning edition has been designed in a way that can be used -only- for learning.

Maya learning edition has been stripped for the standard file format support, instead of using the maya file formats MA and MB it uses a special file format called MP that can only saved and loaded from the learning edition version of maya.

What does this mean?

it means that if you build a valkyrie or another mesh, you will only be able to load it in maya learning edition, and NOT in the commercial edition, you will never be able to render it or even export it to any other format.

you can import some file formats, but you can't export ANYTHING, so whatever you do with the MLE will be totally useless

it means that if you build a valkyrie or another mesh, you will only be able to load it in maya learning edition, and NOT in the commercial edition, you will never be able to render it or even export it to any other format.

Well, that's not completely true. When you move up to "real" Maya, Alias will convert all your PLE files to standard files. But they'll only do it the one time, and they're the only ones who can do it.

Meh, PLE is pretty useless, anyway. I've been learning on it, but its watermark totally ruins the image. The inability to import regular Maya files is also a huge problem.

IT CAN import regular Maya files. A commercial version of Maya won't be able to import PLE files though.

Mine wouldn't. When I got PLE, it was included with a tutorial book, and stupilly enough, the tutorial files that were included were in normal Maya format, and wouldn't open in PLE. I suppose they could have changed that in a recent patch, though.