Macross DVD questions

sqidd

The ADV Macross set includes the japanese version with subtitles on the discs. The first volume in the set even includes the first episode with the Robotech cast doing the voice overs. Was weird but ok. Seriously though, as an English speaker, I'd watch the dubbed version of SDFM. Exact translations don't always make sense to alot of westerners and you can watch it while doing other things *like posting on these boards* without missing anything. After a hard days work I don't like to read my television set. If I did I'd get a book ;)

Anybody who isn`t willing to even try to watch Macross subtitled or learn Japanese isn`t a true Macross fan.

That's the biggest bunch of crap I've ever heard. Half the characters in the show aren't even Japanese!

Edited by Exsedol

Zinjo-Just to clarify, you're talking about the english dub thats on this dvd or the sub? How are the subs?say compared to the other relese, the black cases without the english dub?.

I am refering to the dub, I can't speak about the subs as I've never seen the ADV subs, however the issue is that the ADV release doesn't have the remastered audio the Animeigo set (HG subtitled set) has.

I'm sure others in this thread have compared the subs between the two and can comment on their quality.

So long as Macross is tied up, the only dubs we'll see are ADV's SDFM and Manga's MacPlus + MacII, warts and all.

Personally I was excited about the ADV dub until I watched the first two discs and was so turned off by the script and the fact that they had this amazing resource called Mari Ijima to refer to and they arrogantly igorned that resource.

It amazes me how much ADV is becoming like HG!!

The ADV does a dis-service to the "tone" of the original series by taking far too many liberties with the dialogue. If a fan wants to watch that, then it is their choice. I like the Mac Plus dub the best, out of the three available.

Edited by Zinjo

Anybody who isn`t willing to even try to watch Macross subtitled or learn Japanese isn`t a true Macross fan.

Ok, I can see where you could debate "having" to watched them subbed........but learn Japanese! Now that is dedication. :huh:

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys, I want to get the Region 1 DVD set of MACROSS, NOT ROBOTECH (lol), but the Robotech store does seem to have the original Japanese language with English sub version remasted and all that jazz for $39.99 for the full 36 episodes.

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93

Is this too good to be true?

No, it's not too good to be true. It's the 2001 AnimEigo remastered version, just in a new box. That's the version that I and many others purchased for much more, so it's definitely worth it. They make great Christmas presents at that price, so I suggest scooping it up while it lasts.

Damn, it's either down to this or more UC Gundam DVD stuff that I still haven't seen.

Of course I'm posting on MW so I should appease my friends. :3

How is the Mospedia and Southern Cross (in original Japanese langauge but subbed)? Is it worth my moneys for $25 a set, so $50 in total?

How is the Mospedia and Southern Cross (in original Japanese langauge but subbed)? Is it worth my moneys for $25 a set, so $50 in total?

Unfortunately, those 2 shows did not receive special restoration treatment like Macross. But then again, those masters did receive as much wear-and-tear as Macross. If you want to know what those series were like before RT, then sure, pick 'em up.

I meant like...does the story of Southern Cross and Mospeda is on the same epic level as the original SDF Macross series? I don't want to spend $50 and find out its a half baked attempt by Big West to churn out more cash cow back in the 80s. As long as they carry on the story after Hikaru and Misa left off (although its a whole new cast that is introduced) and has some good relevance back to the SDF series, then I'm inclinded to check it out. Also, does Shoji Kawamori or any of the regular Macross staff had a major role in making these "sequels"?

I just checked up this page of ADV vs Animeigo of DVDs, and I was about to order the $39.99 version, UNTIL, I was met up wtih the shipping price of a whopping $39.99 to Canada. Paying THAT MUCH for shipping is something I cannot do.

Comparing costs here IF I was just going to go with Macross set, It'd be $80 from Robotech for the 1 box set incl shipping while $100ish from Rightstuff for the 3 box set, and I think i'd go with the $100 set, the black box does look cooler too. Then just tack on $50 more of animu stuff for free shipping, like the Mospeda and SC episodes.

Americans always get the better deal, free shipping for $50 and up.

And their both by Animeigo, so yeah, I'm getting the "more preferred" version between this and the ADV ones.

Your thoughts?

I meant like...does the story of Southern Cross and Mospeda is on the same epic level as the original SDF Macross series? I don't want to spend $50 and find out its a half baked attempt by Big West to churn out more cash cow back in the 80s. As long as they carry on the story after Hikaru and Misa left off (although its a whole new cast that is introduced) and has some good relevance back to the SDF series, then I'm inclinded to check it out. Also, does Shoji Kawamori or any of the regular Macross staff had a major role in making these "sequels"?

Wait, you do realize that Mospeada and Southern Cross have NOTHING to do with Macross, right? They are not "sequels" in any way. They don't carry on any story from Macross, since they are not related AT ALL. :huh: