Original Macross Art for MW Wallpaper

baronv

I commissioned the attached artwork from Glane21 a while back and someone suggested scanning it in at a higher res so it can be colored in and possibly submitted as the front page art on MW. Well I finally had time to scan in the large 22 x 16 artwork into my little scanner. With the Photoshop skills that some of the MW members have here I'm hoping you guys can help in cleaning up the piece and coloring it in for the MX community to see in it's full color glory since this is a truly nice piece Greg did showcasing all the major Macross mecha.

To help fix the blurring on some sections, I scanned the pages so someone could just overlap the non-blurred sections over the blurred areas.

post-1065-1187659011_thumb.jpg

post-1065-1187659046_thumb.jpg

post-1065-1187659075_thumb.jpg

post-1065-1187659098_thumb.jpg

post-1065-1187659154_thumb.jpg

post-1065-1187659182_thumb.jpg

post-1065-1187659212_thumb.jpg

post-1065-1187659287_thumb.jpg

post-1065-1187822381_thumb.jpg

Edited by baronv

Not interested in doing the project, but some advice:

rescane the image. Not only is the scan out of focus in a vertical swipe down the center as Dante74 said, there is also a horizontal white line about halfway. The easiest solution is to scan the image in multiple passes to make sure the entire image area is scanned correctly, with plenty of overlap. The person interested in this project should have the tools (ie: Photoshop) to merge the seperate images together smoothly.

I do this with the manga that I am producing - drawn on B4, and scanned into the PC on an A4 scanner. Usually 3 or 4 scans are required to get all parts scanned correctly. Lining it up is very easy (if the paper is squared with the frame over the glass when scanning!)

I'll have another go with the scanning and I can separate the image into four segments for whomever is interested (Dante74) since I have to scan each board twice to get each side since my scanner is only set to handle 8x10 sizes. I'll save it as a .tiff so it's crisper as well.

Edited by baronv

Scanning the two images separately would be better but, like Sketchley said, be sure to have plenty of overlap and scan them straight with the side of the scanning glass.

Im looking forward to trying this and I'll do my very best, but I'm by no means a pro and I've never done coloring work on line art, so if anyone else want to have a go, please be my guest. ^_^

someone with the proper photoshop skills should erase that fugly VF-11 MAXL or whatever is spelled and add a VF-17

Man, I just realized now that I did forget to have the VF-17 added in the shot. Dang.

I'll try and scan tonight or tomorrow since there are more takers for this project. As noted, the piece is huge, the two sections fill up my cel collection case which is able to handle small posters so I am unable to scan both halfs in one try on my home scanner. I would take it to Kinkos, but after buying two new golf clubs and paying insurance premiums this month I am on hobby spending-lockdown for a while.

Valkyrie addict, the piece was done by glane21 from MW, he takes commissions. His other works are here:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...&hl=glane21

• 2 weeks later...
Uploaded re-scanned imaged. Did the best I could with my 8.5x11 size scanner. I scanned the sections into three parts (left, middle, right). Hope this works.

Is there tape down the middle?

I suspect that is what would be causing the blurring still present in the scans, but the rest came out quite nicely.

Tape wouldn't cause blur on most modern scanners, not to that extent. It's page lifting that is causing the blur. The drawing is larger than the scanning plate and so the paper is lifting when it approaches the edges of the bed. The way to correct this is to ensure sufficient overlapbetween scans, which it looks like you've accomplished as far as I can tell.

Tape wouldn't cause blur on most modern scanners, not to that extent. It's page lifting that is causing the blur. The drawing is larger than the scanning plate and so the paper is lifting when it approaches the edges of the bed. The way to correct this is to ensure sufficient overlapbetween scans, which it looks like you've accomplished as far as I can tell.

That is correct regarding the page lifting since the lid of my scanner doesn't come off so the edges of the pages tend to lift a bit. To negate the blur in the middle I just made sure that when I scanned the sections to have the enough overlapping for someone to overlay the un-blurred images on top of each other.