Custom Hasegawa Valk

Hagan

hey guys! I finally finished my custom Valk. Thought you'd like to see it. It'll be a shame to let it waste. I made this for a friend of mine who found my club-m resin kits, well before I decided to get out of modeling. This is the last valk I made. The pictures are a little blurry because of the low-grade digital camera I borrowed from someone in another office just now. I used a different pilot name, and used the UNS Admiral Hayes designation from one of the optional decal sheets.

Enjoy!

post-3-1066239272.jpg

Yeah, high contrast sure looks cooler (not many modelers do low-vis, it's so boring) but then it's not low-vis, it's high-vis. Vis=contrast. :)

You've almost got a disruption/deception scheme there, which is the opposite of low-vis.

Low-vis doesn't mean "grey" it means "little or no contrast".

There's low-vis green, low-vis blue, even low-vis pinks.

And of course, lots and lots of high-vis grey. (Nearly all WWII pattern ship camo is high-vis grey--- it's what I'm painting my USS Iowa in)

Please note I think it's an awesome paint job, it's just not "low-vis".

Nice model! It's a pitty that you are leaving the hobby I can see talent in that VF.

If it is a matter of time or money you can always aim to smaller projects and continue modeling. Please, let me tell you this: I considered to leave my hobbies too when doing my PhD but then I found myself in a foreing country working and studying the whole day with very little money (rame for dinner) and even then I managed to bought some kits (simple ones) some primary colors and a couple of brushes... So I never leave modeling even in the worst situations.

David: you are right it is a disruptive cammo but at least the markings are low viz, don't they?

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate them! As for getting out of the modeling gig, There have been a few things that have happened I no longer can put off. These are personal in nature, please understand. I'm sure there will be a time when I can get back into it, just not right now.

Questions about the model. It doesn't say which Hayase it is, just UNS Admiral Hayase. The pilot is Lt. H. Nohara. These were taken from the First Optional decal sheet. Most of the low(er)-vis decals were taken from the VE-1 sheet and the second optional decal sheet. Photo-etched set was used. I sealed the main body in a krylon varnish coat used to seal paintings. It's gaurenteed not to yellow. The fast packs were sealed with matte citadel spray. First I painted it, then sealed it with a gloss testors spray. I let it dry, then smeared India ink all over it then wiped it away to give it a dirty, used feeling. Then sealed it with another gloss cote, applied decals, then the used the varnish to seal the whole thing. I used the blue Max dots because I thought they'd look cool.

I painted the canopy with a very weird mask, masking tape. To get a good accurate mask place the masking tape behind a canopy decal, then cut along the black edge of it. This will give you a perfect outline of the canopy. Then carefully peel off the tape from the back of the decal. If you pull to fast you can take some of the sheet with you, so pull it off slow. Then just apply the mask to the canopy and you have a perfect mask. You won't have to cut out piece after piece of tape, or risk cutting the canopy itself when you apply the wet canopy mask. NOTE: You will need to do this with four pieces of tape, the front and back of the canopy are seperate, so be patient.

As for the color scheme, I guess it's not low-vis after all. Thanks for the clarification David. To me, if it's grey it's low-vis. Oh well. But out in space, who knows what tyhe low-vis scheme will be, probably black though. But until then, in my world, this is my Low(er)-Vis Scheme.

Thanks for everything guys!

Hagan

That's a great colour scheme. Who cares if its Low-vis or not, its really well done. Love what you did the the missle boxes and FAST Packs. Its a shame that you got out of modelling, but I hope you do well with whatever is filling you time now.

Gerwalker: markings aren't low-vis. They're grey, but since they're light grey on dark grey (or dark grey on light grey) they still contrast highly.

Low-vis markings are very hard to see against the background.

Hagan--I liked the space example, I'll use it for the next example:

For space, low vis probably would be black, and low-vis markings would be VERY dark blue or VERY dark grey. If you used any other shade, they'd have high contrast and show up easily.

Here's some low-vis markings on an EA-6B:

Edited by David Hingtgen