Oh, yeah... got me. Better retcon that into "Yamato-made Macross toys" :-)

Matter of fact: I just swept clean my shelves and packed off almost every single Yamato-made Macross toy back into their boxes and deep-sixed them into storage. Only Yammie left is Konig Monster. I feel clean now..

In a way, I honestly feel sorry for you, given the experiences you've had (as presented in your sig). Really. All of my Yamatos are in pristine shape, have tight joints, and very durable, and I transform them multiple times and do battle with them against Transformers, SOCs, Gundams and everything in between. Heck, my VFOS was once GIVEN (by accident while I was away) to a 6 year old boy and guess what? NO DAMAGE.

I am however glad that you enjoy your Bubblegum. Last time I checked this thread and asked about this figure, I was told something along the lines of "OHMYGODFLOPPYMESSQCNIGHTMARESTAYAWAY!" and that was that.

So - here's the question:

Would you recomend I get one of these? Or three? I like the girls' uniforms mainly. I am not a big motorbike fan and don't really like the idea of transforming bikes, but I do like Yamato and am always interested in giving more of their products a shot.

What say you? Recomend? :)

Pete

In a way, I honestly feel sorry for you, given the experiences you've had (as presented in your sig). Really. All of my Yamatos are in pristine shape, have tight joints, and very durable, and I transform them multiple times and do battle with them against Transformers, SOCs, Gundams and everything in between. Heck, my VFOS was once GIVEN (by accident while I was away) to a 6 year old boy and guess what? NO DAMAGE.

I am however glad that you enjoy your Bubblegum. Last time I checked this thread and asked about this figure, I was told something along the lines of "OHMYGODFLOPPYMESSQCNIGHTMARESTAYAWAY!" and that was that.

Would you recomend I get one of these? Or three? I like the girls' uniforms mainly. I am not a big motorbike fan and don't really like the idea of transforming bikes, but I do like Yamato and am always interested in giving more of their products a shot.

Pete

This was my reply to your post, which apparently you never read ^_^

I like mine. I have Priss and have been wanting the green one for awhile now, just haven't gotten around to it. They are a touch on the fragile side, but look good in any mode just about. They tend to be a tad loose (mostly just the figure) but hold poses decently. I've never had it so loose it wouldn't hold a pose, it will do just about anything. Mostly just be careful with transforming and the like as it seems to be on the fragile side but all-in-all I like it a lot.

Vostok 7

And I say 'good for you'. I guess my customer relationship with Yamato is still NOT the worst anyone's seen around here (BOB, you still around?). However, I have most definitely sworn off their Macross releases. No point investing any love in one of a series only to get played out when a bad release later spoils the fun. That's why I haven't bothered with the 'perfect' Destroids. Time will tell, and I reserve the right to change my mind with hindsight.

Pete

OK, I only break my Yamato resolution when something is so compelling in the mechanical design that I'd take a chance, and only AFTER the first run. Case in point:

1. Proto Garland... none of the BS breakage problems that plagued the original (and most desirable) version. Ask Graham how he feels about the snap-off diecast arms on the first release.

1A. Army Garland, took a risk after the good experience with Proto and got bitten by Yamato's QC. Loose joints all over + broken-in-the-box parts. Huh.

2. Moto-slave... as a completed model/toy of one of the most iconic 80s' mecha shows, what fan wouldn't want to own one (at the right price)? But you're right: the original was a bit too plasticky for its own good, and pretty floppy from all the reports. I waited for a 'ver. 2' but each re-paint was basically the same serving of 'take it or leave it'. The came the limited metallics... better reports on joint tightness etc. Took a risk and, yes, I would recommend the metallic version.

I believe the additional coating of paint helps a bit with the joints and does a whole lot more for presentation. It's a street bike, it deserves to be metallic!

Here's where the metallic version Motoslave fits in my 'large scale' toy shelf:

19.jpg

Fits right in with the 1/18 CM's ride armors... I chose to display the Motoslave in 'hatch-open' mode - basically the upper chest clips onto the head via the magnetic-joint, while the lower chest is a kludge by rotating the gray clip-on arms back to bike mode and slipping them behind the hardsuit's arms. Can't do anything about the lazy knee design though. :-P

One more shot... though I was so preoccupied with balancing the figure I didn't notice the hardsuit's leg was dangling off the foot-stand:

20.jpg

Edited by drifand

Here's where the metallic version Motoslave fits in my 'large scale' toy shelf:

19.jpg

Fits right in with the 1/18 CM's ride armors... I chose to display the Motoslave in 'hatch-open' mode - basically the upper chest clips onto the head via the magnetic-joint, while the lower chest is a kludge by rotating the gray clip-on arms back to bike mode and slipping them behind the hardsuit's arms. Can't do anything about the lazy knee design though. :-P

One more shot... though I was so preoccupied with balancing the figure I didn't notice the hardsuit's leg was dangling off the foot-stand:

20.jpg

Garland... MOSPEADAs... Motoslave... as a variable bike obsessive, I love these pics!

Even better: they're practically the SAME SCALE despite the 1/15 claims. I really enjoy the fact these can now exist in a same-sized world.

Are they really? Nice! Is that the CMs or Megahouse?

Why can't Yamato make one too???

Someone had pictures of the Busou Shinki (sp?) High Maneuver Type YDA Stradale and High Speed Trike Type ACH Stradale next to their MOSPEADAs, and that looked decent scale-wise too. Also saw a Garland rider figure fitting nicely on a MOSPEADA. Let me see if I can find them. I think a couple of them may be yours, Drifand?

post-7028-1233331726_thumb.jpg

post-7028-1233331757_thumb.jpg

post-7028-1233331782_thumb.jpg

post-7028-1233331809_thumb.jpg

post-7028-1233331847_thumb.jpg

post-7028-1233331904_thumb.jpg

post-7028-1233332018_thumb.jpg

post-7028-1233332168_thumb.jpg

post-7028-1233332249_thumb.jpg

post-7028-1233332410_thumb.jpg

Edited by RavenHawk

Hi Ravenhawk,

Sorry about that, meant to quote VF5 up there. There have been various comparisons on the web regarding the actual/practical scale of Yamato's 1/15 bikes... basically, the baseline for 1/18 scale would be your typical GI-Joe or Microman figure. Compared to those, the CM's Ride Armors are most definitely 1/18 as claimed. For The Garlands and Motoslaves however, the truth is, to create a mechanically true model/toy, Yamato had to fiddle with the proportions in relation to the human figures. For Garland, the Shogo figure is almost 100-percent physical match for 1/18 counterparts. As for Motoslave, sure the girls are 'petit'... but I call it the way I perceive it: they're 1/18 on my shelf, regardless of what the box claims.

Hi Ravenhawk,

Sorry about that, meant to quote VF5 up there. There have been various comparisons on the web regarding the actual/practical scale of Yamato's 1/15 bikes... basically, the baseline for 1/18 scale would be your typical GI-Joe or Microman figure. Compared to those, the CM's Ride Armors are most definitely 1/18 as claimed. For The Garlands and Motoslaves however, the truth is, to create a mechanically true model/toy, Yamato had to fiddle with the proportions in relation to the human figures. For Garland, the Shogo figure is almost 100-percent physical match for 1/18 counterparts. As for Motoslave, sure the girls are 'petit'... but I call it the way I perceive it: they're 1/18 on my shelf, regardless of what the box claims.

That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

I've got the Garlands and metallic motoslave so far, with a Beagle on order, but might want to someday pick up the CMs MOSPEADAs too, to match the scale... though it's tough to justify spending that much money, plus part of me wants the army Garland, the original Garland, and hopes they do a Hargun and Garland E=X.

When they first advertised the BGC figures as it was suppose to be released in gashaphon type boxes, without the bikes, they were listed as 1/18 scale. I don't know why Yamato relisted them as 1/15 figures. The sad thing is they were suppose to release a Priss in civilian type outfit that you can interchange the head with the armored figures. Where the hell is that figure now?

I asked this once, but never received a response. Does anyone know if there are plans to release the "Typhoon"-type motoslaves, or is it just going to be different colors of these "Hurricane"-type ones?

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone receive their AD Boomer set from Save? I still haven't seen mine.

I ordered mine from the Yamato-USA site. Says it's a March preorder.

Of course, my Beagle/Toynami Cyclone was preordered from Robotech.com, and they shipped theirs like a week later than all of the online retailers.

Hi Ravenhawk,

So, final opinion: What seems to match the Yamato Garlands and Motoslaves better? A 1/18th CMs MOSPEADA or a 1/15th Megahouse?

I ordered mine from the Yamato-USA site. Says it's a March preorder.

Of course, my Beagle/Toynami Cyclone was preordered from Robotech.com, and they shipped theirs like a week later than all of the online retailers.

I was referring to the four of us who sent in the Proof of Purchase of the four original motoslaves to Save in order to get the set before they offered it as a retail item. He had them in hand and I sent him shipping costs but I haven't received it yet. So, I was wondering if the other 3 had gotten theirs.

Edited by Zx31

Thanks go out to SAVE! for being kind enough to send in for these sets and then shipping them overseas.

And now for a little mini-review.

First, Pictures:

DSCN2219.jpg

DSCN2220.jpg

DSCN2226.jpg

DSCN2228.jpg

I'll start with the AD Police. The AD Police figures are very solid, and while they lack articulation, the paint applications are very nicely done. As most of you have seen, the figures are identical except for the weapon each one holds. The first being a sub-machine gun and the second being a shotgun. The only gripe I could find with these 2 is that the bases don't match the Motoslave bases in color, but that is getting nit-picky.

The Boomer is gorgeous. The entire figure is painted up in a metallic blue finish with black details. I actually think the paint applications on the Boomer look better than the Knight Sabers when examined up close, but it has the benefit of a simple paint scheme. The figure has 16 points of articulation. A ball joint is located in the neck, torso, each shoulder, each hip, and each foot. Each knee and elbow has a hinge joint and both the elbows and wrists are on swivels. Posability is pretty nice and I was able to get him to balance on one foot for a kicking pose which I tried to capture in the photos. The joints are tight enough to hold poses but not so much so that you have to use extra force to move them. The left arm swivel joint on my figure is a 'tad' loose but holds well. Both wrists and elbows were locked when I opened the figure and I would recommend gently prying them loose or sticking the figure in a freezer for 15 minutes to get them free without twisting joints off.

Overall, I would highly suggest picking up this set to any BGC fan, especially if you have a Metallic Motoslave. The Boomer alone is worth the price and the AD Police make sweet little bonuses. However, if you are turned off by the smaller scale of Yamato's Knight Sabers then this set probably isn't going to win you over.

Edited by Zx31

Nice Boomer, Zx31... Do you have any Microman figures to compare its size with? Would love to see how big/small a Boomer is at 1/15 scale!

There's also the question of if the Boomer is REALLY 1/15th scale, or if it's scaled to match the Priss figure.

Remember the debate about the Motoslave saying 1/15th, but the separate figures originally saying 1/18th.

I always thought the Boomers were considerably larger in comparison to 'normal' humans. They usually towered over the BGC ladies, and most AD Police.

Yammie's looks rather scaled-down.

I always thought the Boomers were considerably larger in comparison to 'normal' humans. They usually towered over the BGC ladies, and most AD Police.

Yammie's looks rather scaled-down.

Yeah, I always figured that the bodyguard ones were like 6'6" or 7', and then when they kind of bulge out to normal boomer look they were more like 7'-8' tall.

They would decompress and burst out of their skin so they are considerably smaller as people. Then there was that one that just assimilated surrounding mechanical parts... never really made much sense, but looked cool at the time.

They would decompress and burst out of their skin so they are considerably smaller as people. Then there was that one that just assimilated surrounding mechanical parts... never really made much sense, but looked cool at the time.

I know, but I'm thinking of the bodyguards for the Genom execs, who, even compressed and in their skin, still looked to be well over 6' tall, maybe closer to 7'.