Just Added - 1/48 Urban Camo GBP from Yamato!

Mechamaniac

I was hoping the whole Prometheus/ARMD-01 thing was going to be cleared up but I guess not. If they're going to copy a fan custom, they really should've done it right and got the markings correct. Mixing Prometheus with ARMD-01 seems weird. Plus, I was really hoping for the leg artwork that was on the original fan custom. Oh well, I won't complain much more, I'll be picking this one up anyway. I guess I'll need to pick up another Hikaru 1J too. Dang! This is a friggin expensive hobby :(

Just noticed that a few e-tailers have the Urban Camo GBP for pre-order, but the (average) price is even higher than the Woodland Camo GBP which itself was (on average) more expensive than the original canon GBP? Aren't repaints suppose to be more profitable for a company? So why should this repaint be more expensive than the previous repaint (that was also more expensive than its predecessor)? Has the dollar weakened even more against the yen that quick? When the first GBP was released, there was much concern about an accessory that cost ALMOST as much as the actual valk. Now, with the Urban Camo release, it's an accessory that DOES cost as much as a valk and, in some cases, MORE than a valk. This is getting ridiculous.

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like I might have jumped the gun. Looking around a bit more, seems the price is around the same as the Woodland Camo GBP. I still don't understand why it costs more than the original GBP though. :shrug:

Edited by mister_e

It seems all the GBPs are limited releases.... and they still don't sell out. That means prices will have to stay high (until some middle man hacks the price down just to get rid of the giant box in his warehouse). Also note that valks are getting more expensive too...

Because many people will pay that much.

and thats why nobody should ever preorder anything from anyone.

if enough people show interest by preordering, a seller/vendor can pretty much charge whatever he pleases. if you don't believe me, just look how much the YF-19 is actually selling for IN HK, as opposed to what its being sold to us for....

Or, you could say that pre-ordering early is the smart move. Since you'd get the price before the seller adjusts for market demand.

Plus, you're helping the seller determine a good market price. Of course, if you consider the seller the "enemy". . . that's not really a plus.

Plus, you're helping the seller determine a good market price. Of course, if you consider the seller the "enemy". . . that's not really a plus.

No one is suggesting the seller is the enemy. The seller is a greedy bastid trying to make as much money as possible. I'm a stingy bastid trying to save as much as possible. We do a little dance called capitalism. The simple fact of the matter is that saving money now is just like it was in the old days. You don't hop on something and buy it the second it comes out if you want a good price. You wait until half a season later and buy it when it's on sale. At the same time, I'm happy there are people who do rush in and buy things instantly, it encourages the vendor to continue carrying the item and ordering more inventory.

Wise men say... only fools rush in....

No one is suggesting the seller is the enemy.

Oh, I wouldn't say that. In the past, there have been a lot of posts disparaging sellers for "gouging." If not the "enemy". . . they've clearly been defined as adversaries.

You've got a healthy attitude towards free markets. That hasn't always been the case with everyone. :mellow:

You've got a healthy attitude towards free markets. That hasn't always been the case with everyone.

LOL, ya know, re-reading my post, I'm only a tiny bit of rhetoric and some semantics away from calling the seller the enemy myself... I think it's all a matter of how vitriol the description of a free market is. The great thing to understand though is that anyone who purchases something and later feels like they got screwed only has themselves to blame... the seller just offered the goods, it's the buyer who makes the determination to act (purely from a pricing standpoint, sellers can certainly screw people in many other ways). I think there's a healthy amount of frustration on these boards though as this hobby is getting increasingly more expensive and the middle man is playing no small part in that (as very clearly evidenced by the 19).

Here's the good news relating to this GBP though, we all know what a good price for a GBP is. This isn't like the YF-19 where no one knew what a good price was so they all were susceptible to being taken advantage of. So, now when this GBP is up for preorder we all know whether or not the "special" price is just a ploy.

Edit - have I mentioned I really wish Yamato would start upping their production #s? By keeping supply low they're keeping middle man margins HIGH which makes my wallet sad.

Edited by jenius