Shoji Kawamori's Opinion of the VF-4

Nied

it's the most badass valkyrie ever, who would'nt want one of those?

No other valk came with beam cannons from the factory! VF-11....no, VF-17....well, those were on it's chest, VF-19...no, VF-22...were those laser cannons on it's wrists?

All I know is that I wouldn't mind a 1/48 scale vf-4. Yamato is crazy for not making it. I have no idea how it would transform or how good it would look in battroid, but it looks so nice in fighter mode that I probably wouldn't transform it much anyway.

I'd think it'd be really complex to design. If it ever gets made expect a bunch of breakage issues (especially in battroid mode)

I think it would be impossible to get a perfect transformation for this one.

Just look at the legs. They are under the engines about mid wing in fighter mode and where they are supposed to be in battroid is not possible without removing them.

No other valk came with beam cannons from the factory! VF-11....no, VF-17....well, those were on it's chest, VF-19...no, VF-22...were those laser cannons on it's wrists?

Ignoring head turrets...

The VF-19 has lasers in the wings. They wind up as hip guns in battroid mode, if I recall.

And the VF-22 moves beyond lasers. It has "converging energy cannons" in the forearms, whatever those are.

The arm guns can also shoot forward OR backward, too!

See armament sections.

http://macross.anime.net/mecha/united_nati...vf19/index.html

http://macross.anime.net/mecha/united_nati...vf22/index.html

Both the 19 and 22 also move past lasers in the head turret.

The 19 has a beam gun on the head turret, while the 22 mounts another "converging energy cannon".

Both make it less interesting by affixing it to the back of the head. No blasting missiles out of your face with headshots.

But if you think about it: they can fly away from them at high speed getting them all lined up in a straight line to chase them and then keep flying while shooting them one by one now that the laser is backwards. No need to stop like roy in macross zero if you can just keep the distance at get easy shots.

This would be easy if the pinpoint barrier thing wasn't enough to cover the whole body against a swarm of missiles.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

it's the most badass valkyrie ever, who would'nt want one of those?

VF-17 has two sets - those in the chest, and also a pair in the arms.

Lessee... there's also the one's on the VF-9 (go from the belly in jet, to the shoulder in battroid), the VA-3/VA-3M (wing necelle to palm beam cannons), the FBz-99G (wing to palms,) the VF-14 (like the VF-4, but the guns end up on the shoulders,) and the Neo Glaug/Variable Gluag (engine nacelle tips to palm/wrists.)

Though, I do agree that the VF-4 is pretty "badass".

But if you think about it: they can fly away from them at high speed getting them all lined up in a straight line to chase them and then keep flying while shooting them one by one now that the laser is backwards. No need to stop like roy in macross zero if you can just keep the distance at get easy shots.

This would be easy if the pinpoint barrier thing wasn't enough to cover the whole body against a swarm of missiles.

Well, I was thinking it was rendered redundant since the arm/hip cannons were more powerful. And the head guns serve a vital role of aft defense in their current mounting. Especially on the fighter mode(though this is less important on the 22, since it has other back guns).

Well, I was thinking it was rendered redundant since the arm/hip cannons were more powerful. And the head guns serve a vital role of aft defense in their current mounting. Especially on the fighter mode(though this is less important on the 22, since it has other back guns).

I was thinking it might just be a little bit convenient if you were in space (caught napping and not moving very fast) and you want to keep one gun pointed above and behind, the usual guns for front, and guns for the rear, so then you have each area defending a 'zone'? Maybe it's just more energy efficient and less of a delay that way? So instead of turning the whole body of the 22 around to get the back guns lined up to hit something incoming from above, you just thrust forward and hope the head laser can shoot it down so you don't have to turn so much. This way it uses the least amount of effort required to get one gun lined up and the benefit is a possible increased reaction time to shoot the incoming object. In fighter I supposed the easiest thing to do is move forward. Not turn and then move forward. So if an object like a missile were to surprise you from above, then thrusting forward would be like "strafing" and the head laser would be like lining up the shot as you moved out of the way. Less need to line up weapons when you've got one right there.

True in space you could just turn around and shoot while sliding in one direction, but that might introduce more delay as you struggle to constantly face the direction to line up the shot. When there is a swarm coming, maybe the simplest reaction (running away from the direction they came from while shooting them), buys you just that extra few moments of time needed to save you, as opposed to turning to face them and using a headlaser at the front. The plane is so fast in the anime that guld has time to transform into robot mode in the anime instead. But what if you wanted to maintain a high speed and not want to stop? I can see a little advantage of having the headlaser on the back in that instance..

No defence for attacks from below though.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

-snip-

No defence for attacks from below though.

I think something producing the effect of a flare would protect from underside attacks, maybe a flare-launcher directed downwards...

• 3 weeks later...