The Soul of Chogokin thread!

Fort Max

From just sculpting point of view, I'll say the Max Factory's WF2007 display beats the SOC Spec by miles. It is one mean, lean, muscular looking Eva-01. This is how a beast should be.

Have to wait for more info, not sure of its height, materials, articulation, etc.

[attachmentid=40763]

post-3608-1172584026_thumb.jpg

You don't have to understand... :unsure: move on...

ive never understood what people see in the eva designs....i swear they are one of the goofier looking creations ive seen in a long time.

It seems to be a fixed pose kit, at least from the pics I saw, If it is poseable, then it will rock, as long it is not made out of P-V-C crap.

Anyways It looks like a Fixed statue in a boring pose, hope I'm wrong.

I agree with Mowe, the sculpt is super cool.

quick! Don't walk, run to hlj. Aoshima Black Getter is 40% off. I just bought it and Dancouga. It's gonna be an expensive year..

quick! Don't walk, run to hlj. Aoshima Black Getter is 40% off. I just bought it and Dancouga. It's gonna be an expensive year..

yeah Black Getter , ordered mine last night sweet.

Edited by Macross73

Yeah its gonna be expensive. I just bought the Max Factory and Orchid Seed Ignis figures as well as the GITS SAC Major Kusunagi figure.

Damn I just bought one of those about two months ago. My SPEC Eva should arrive next week.

UN, is that the SPEC Eva? That's a great pic... but all the Eva accessories aren't from the SPEC fig, right? Does the SPEC Eva come with a power plug?

There are two items that don't belong to the SPEC Eva (aside from Megs) in that picture.

The sniper rifle (on the far right) and cannon (on the far left). Those belong to the KAIYODO Evangelion Extra.

I also left out a couple of the swords as well as the power plug for SPEC Eva.

Got the Walker Gallia today. Its a nice figure, really tiny but has some heft to it. Nicely engineered and very posable. I havent gotten to assembling the Durun yet.. Nice companion figure. Im really waiting on a good Ideon review once its out then I'll think about getting it. King Joe is a must get though, he really looks cool!!

Nice picture review of the SPEC Layzner from Pony-san, although he feels the sculpt is slightly off:

http://pony-hp3.web.infoseek.co.jp/TS-LAYZNER.htm

I bought this today because the window box allowed me to see the gleam of metal in the chest, elbows and whole of the lower legs. Pretty well made although I found the leg armor tends to slip out of position when posing the legs. I enjoyed the fact that there was ZERO sprue-cutting required. Haven't ried the SFX in the stand but it is very sturdy and well-detented. Layzner's groin clips securely onto the post for plenty of great poses. I paid 90 SGD for mine.

Edited by drifand

My Eva Spec arrived today.

Like:

- great playability, its posability is top notch - even with the armor on.

- its ability to drop the shoulder means it can perform a lot of emotion gesture that other action figure can't do (see my Eva's Bruce Lee stand pose - note how the left shoulder is dropped - and yeah, I love that thumb up hands!!! :D )

- parts fit very well and armour holds up nicely when I play with it.

- with a relatively light body, it stands up on its ow with most poses.

- the price: for $45, it is great value.

Dislike & Improvement:

- it has little soul (of chogokin) :blink: : very few chogokin (metal) are used.

- Unlike some of the quality GX line SOC, plastic is used here to save money rather than for a specific purpose. I don't have a problem with it as a plastic toy but why give it the SOC tag when it is clearly just anothr Bandai pre-assembled injection kit? The way Bandai increasingly uses plastic in some of their later SOC are really stuffing up the SOC brand.

- the purple colour is bearable but it is just so flat and unexcitable. The armor (even the metal parts) has no feel of weight at all - hello??? armor = weight!!!! I would have excused the toy's lack of metal, if a nice metal colour was used.

- the sculpt is nice enough for me to like it but a few minor improvements could have improve the toy so much (e.g. the armor needs more muscle tone, the horn & the forearm blade are too chucky, more details to the helmet, chest plate & shoulder blade). The smaller EVA SOC was a good start interms of sculpting, don’t understand why or how Bandai can manage to go backwards… :wacko: )

- the removable armor gimmick does nothing to me. As said before, the basic body looks like a manikin and you want it to be clothed. The process of puting and removing the armor is not that pleasurable, too. A waste of time, - I prefer a properly sculpted big metal Eva that this gimmick.

- Very few accessories – the Evas are famous for their accessories, very disappointing

Potential breakage:

- See the shoulder joint pic below, it looks kind of fragile. It really should have been in die-cast.

- The groin ball joint is also plastic. Because the rotation seam of this ball joint is covered up by the armor, it is hard to tell which way you can rotate the leg properly – if you are not careful, I think it is prone to breakage, which this reminds me of an earlier pic of a broken hip of this toy.

[attachmentid=40842][attachmentid=40843]

Overall rating: 7/10 :)

Strangely enough, with so much negative comments, I kind of like this Eva. The combination of low price, decent size, and great posability were enough to make Eva fan like me to like this half-attempted toy. But it could have been done a lot better....

post-3608-1172930265_thumb.jpg

post-3608-1172930561_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mowe

Nice picture review of the SPEC Layzner from Pony-san, although he feels the sculpt is slightly off:

http://pony-hp3.web.infoseek.co.jp/TS-LAYZNER.htm

I bought this today because the window box allowed me to see the gleam of metal in the chest, elbows and whole of the lower legs. Pretty well made although I found the leg armor tends to slip out of position when posing the legs. I enjoyed the fact that there was ZERO sprue-cutting required. Haven't ried the SFX in the stand but it is very sturdy and well-detented. Layzner's groin clips securely onto the post for plenty of great poses. I paid 90 SGD for mine.

I wish I could read what he said though. Is it really small? (5.5 inches?) It would of been nice if he had a comparison pic..even if its next to a soda can. :lol:

My Eva Spec arrived today. ...

- it has no soul (of chogokin): where are the chogokin (metal)? :blink:

- Unlike some of the quality GX line SOC, plastic is used here to save money rather than for a specific purpose. I don't have a problem with it as a plastic toy but why give it the SOC tag when it is clearly just anothr Bandai pre-assembled injection kit? The way Bandai increasingly uses plastic in some of their later SOC are really stuffing up the SOC brand.

Potential breakage:

- See the shoulder joint pic below, it looks kind of fragile. It really should have been in die-cast.

There's actually some diecast in there. The majority of the thigh armor and all of the calf armor. There's some in the chest armor as well.

As for the shoulder joint (it was my concern as well) the shoulder armor (either ones) actually reinforce that joint. And the way its "locked" in by the armor there's no way of moving it in a "wrong" direction.

holytoledo, I'm glad to hear the shoulders on the SPEC Eva work to reinforce the shoulder joints... that did like like a kinda fishy joint in the pic on the last page.

And its really hard to take out (the shoulder armor) once its in there. It sort of "snaps" in, so you might need some finger nails. :D

Again, my only qualms about this figure is I wish it came with some battle damage armor, a more posable neck joint and a coulple of extra heads (in either form) with some organic looking teeth. :D

I wish I could read what he said though. Is it really small? (5.5 inches?) It would of been nice if he had a comparison pic..even if its next to a soda can. :lol:

i was thinking that i should have gotten this -layzner- and now from the pics I'm glad i didn't

edit : got the Gunbuster today thats one great toy :D

Edited by Macross73

Seems that BBTS put up their preorder for the reissued GD-99 Aquarion.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;picture=out

$129 is a heck of a deal considering I paid $170 for the Assault version from HLJ last year.

Edited by UN Spacy

Ha...ha...I changed my review and it now reads: "it has little soul" :lol::lol::lol:

There's actually some diecast in there. The majority of the thigh armor and all of the calf armor. There's some in the chest armor as well.

Just got mine today. Its freakin sweet!! It was murder getting the styrofoam out of the box though :p Speaking of blood, becareful putting those fist spikes on. I slipped when I was putting them on and a couple of spikes stabbed me under my cuticles!!! OUCHness!!!! yessss I bled and there was pain (not that I enjoyed it hehehe)

This is my first Aoshima, though its not up to par with Bandai SOC's engineering, it comes close. And talk about SOUL....Its about 80% diecast and has lots of heft to it. I just wish there was a little more articulationn at the hips and feet though. And maybe it would of been nice if it came with a base/stand and a severed dinosaur head.. Other than that, its nicely designed/sculpted/painted and there's no mistaking that there's Go Nagai written all over it. I rate it 7/10 :rolleyes: removing 3 points for bleeding...

Edited by holytoledo69

Getter Bites :lol: Actually, I swear I remember my Aoshima Getter had a warning note completed with pictures to warn people about the spike. I tossed it out at the time and thought: "they are abit too careful, ain't they...well, may be not :D

By the way, just noted there are pre-order for the Ideon on YJP for round 17,980 yen. That is great news, the usual trend is in a few months time, there will be YJP biddings that goes for less than the pre-order price. I originally thought it might be around the $200 mark.

Ideon

Speaking of blood, becareful putting those fist spikes on. I slipped when I was putting them on and a couple of spikes stabbed me under my cuticles!!! OUCHness!!!! yessss I bled and there was pain (not that I enjoyed it hehehe)

I am thinking of the same thing too. It looks kind of cool and big but it looks very unbalanced. Can it stand up on its own? :mellow:

I've been thinking about getting one of these. Is it any good?

The aquarion is an interesting toy. for any complete combined forms you have to use the stands. It is very articulated, but the stands kind of ruin it. I had both versions and recently sold them to make more room.

My advice would be to wait and see if they rerelease the heavy assault version. I enjoyed it much more than the "hero" mech.