The Soul of Chogokin thread!

Fort Max

General speculation for SOC watchers is that GX-37 would be Daidenjin, the next Super Sentai robot in line after the premiere of Battle Fever Robo. Not very exciting... but the original Daidenjin was the first transforming Super Sentai robot.

I hoping that Iron Gear (make it a big one!) will turn up towards the end of the year. Meanwhile there's the Soul of SPEC line-up that's starting out with EVA and Layzner... causing some confusion as some online sellers simply call it Chogokin.

Edited by drifand

Drifand who makes the Iron Gear that you posted above? I remember owing a Iron gear when I was a kid. When it was in battleship mode it had two spring loaded missles that would fire from what what become the feet.

I just ordered the Spec eva, and I preordered the Aoshima weathered Getter one.

General speculation for SOC watchers is that GX-37 would be Daidenjin, the next Super Sentai robot in line after the premiere of Battle Fever Robo. Not very exciting... but the original Daidenjin was the first transforming Super Sentai robot.

I hoping that Iron Gear (make it a big one!) will turn up towards the end of the year. Meanwhile there's the Soul of SPEC line-up that's starting out with EVA and Layzner... causing some confusion as some online sellers simply call it Chogokin.

Next actual SOC is King Joe from an Ultraman show.

Drifand, I hope your Iron Gear wish comes true, I love the design of that thing so much I almost brought an old DX.

Drifand who makes the Iron Gear that you posted above? I remember owing a Iron gear when I was a kid. When it was in battleship mode it had two spring loaded missles that would fire from what what become the feet.

GA,

That's the CLOVER 'DX Henkei Gattai Irongear' - mostly plastic except for a diecast connector bar for the bridge/torso transformation. It's pretty realistically detailed for a CLOVER toy, especially with the gun turrets that can turn and elevate. There was also a smaller diecast version that could transform into a non-canon 'tank'. Matt Alt has a great write up of both over at TBDX:

http://www.toyboxdx.com/rumble_plus/032602-IG.html

Funny thing is, I always thought the toy's legs couldn't move because CLOVER couldn't be bothered to engineer such complicated joints at the hips. But a friend who saw the anime told me that Iron Gear really doesn't have legs that can 'walk'. The mecha is exactly like the toy: It basically spends its time moving about as a 'land ship', only 'flipping up' into robot mode for battles. And when in robot mode, it travels by porpoising up and down as its 'legs' split apart and come back together over and over again! Kinda took away some of my childhood awe :D

Next actual SOC is King Joe from an Ultraman show.

Drifand, I hope your Iron Gear wish comes true, I love the design of that thing so much I almost brought an old DX.

King Joe.... Hmmm ... is not on my wish list.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I am so late in the game that Im wondering why I never picked this SOC up before... So yeah, I just got my SOC Gunbuster in today and it blows the YF-19 out the sky so much, it can fly rings around it in terms of transforming engineering (so what if you have to take parts off?) durability, articulation AND especially QC!!!

Yamato should plant a spy over at Bandai's so they can pick up a few pointers on how to build a REAL good quality toy/figure/mecha!! On the hunt for Voltes V now... (yeah I know Im working backwards lol) Im really happy with this figure..Til the coming of the SV-51!!

Man, I am so late in the game that Im wondering why I never picked this SOC up before... So yeah, I just got my SOC Gunbuster in today and it blows the YF-19 out the sky so much, it can fly rings around it in terms of transforming engineering (so what if you have to take parts off?) durability, articulation AND especially QC!!!

Yamato should plant a spy over at Bandai's so they can pick up a few pointers on how to build a REAL good quality toy/figure/mecha!! On the hunt for Voltes V now... (yeah I know Im working backwards lol) Im really happy with this figure..Til the coming of the SV-51!!

Congrats on your Gunbuster aquisition. The SOC IDEON is the next big thing to look out for.

You are not late at all. I reckon these latest SOCs are just the begining of the better things to come. Most of the old SOC are on the smaller size anyway.

This new line of SOC are clearly aimed toward the collector's market. The amazing thing about them is that they are not only beautifully crafted, they are also toys that you can play with. Transforming is easy and robust. They are really how a toy should be. Unlike "playing' with my Yammies, my blood pressure and stress level arise whenever I transform the 1/48 & 1/60. I have lately reduced my Yammy intake to pick up more SOC.

Man, I am so late in the game that Im wondering why I never picked this SOC up before...

Looks like Bandai's taking a page out of Yamato's ops book:

[attachmentid=40282]

This pic of the Soul of SPEC EVA was just posted over at TBDX, origins unknown. Looks like I'll be sticking with the SOC EVAs... or at least wait for the eventual anime color editions.

So what does Soul of SPEC mean??? Some Plastics Eventually Crack?

post-75-1171005476_thumb.jpg

Edited by drifand

You are not late at all. I reckon these latest SOCs are just the begining of the better things to come. Most of the old SOC are on the smaller size anyway.

This new line of SOC are clearly aimed toward the collector's market. The amazing thing about them is that they are not only beautifully crafted, they are also toys that you can play with. Transforming is easy and robust. They are really how a toy should be. Unlike "playing' with my Yammies, my blood pressure and stress level arise whenever I transform the 1/48 & 1/60. I have lately reduced my Yammy intake to pick up more SOC.

Actually SOCs were aimed at the adult collector market (in Japan) from the very start. It's just that the first couple of waves of releases focused almost entirely on designs from the old school Super Robots genre... rocket fists and improved heroic proportions were the all-important selling points.

As the market cycles, the next generation of collectors is on the up and up: ie those who grew up with the Super Real Robots like Dougram, Xabungle etc. So now we're getting SOC toys that have to impress with their 'realism' and attention to details. That their are still sturdy and well-made is a real bonus, although the addition of tiny precision parts won't make them child-safe.

Edited by drifand

[attachmentid=40282]

This pic of the Soul of SPEC EVA was just posted over at TBDX, origins unknown. Looks like I'll be sticking with the SOC EVAs... or at least wait for the eventual anime color editions.

So what does Soul of SPEC mean??? Some Plastics Eventually Crack?

Whoa!! That's a scarey pic. It looks like someone's playing rough with their SPEC's. Probably a sabatuer from yamato lol!! Please treat them gently :(

The IDEON Looked nice in its proto's, but the final product is too ORANGE?RED for me.. I'll pass.

It is going to be the biggest SOC, surpassing even the Dancouga in term of size and height. If it can look this good as a proto pic, it's goona rock in person. As for the color red, well, there aren't many things that I know is synonymous with that color... Ferrari, London buses, Liverpool, Man-U... Ideon is one of them. It will be released on Mac this year... enough time for you to change your mind.

Edited by Beware of Blast

FYI Hobbylink Japan has 20% off Combattler V. He's the perfect partner to display with your Voltes!

And what's the going rate for Dancougas at the moment? hlj has them for 163, is ebay much cheaper? I just had a look and they must be 1st editions cos they are selling around 300. :o

May be the Eva should keeps his armour on.... :blink:

[attachmentid=40282]

FYI Hobbylink Japan has 20% off Combattler V. He's the perfect partner to display with your Voltes!

And what's the going rate for Dancougas at the moment? hlj has them for 163, is ebay much cheaper? I just had a look and they must be 1st editions cos they are selling around 300. :o

170 - 175 shipped or lower would be good. Try not to pay more than that.

Think Diamond is selling Ideon for about $200. Since I've got no attachment to it(never watched the cartoon)....maybe.

It is going to be the biggest SOC, surpassing even the Dancouga in term of size and height. If it can look this good as a proto pic, it's goona rock in person. As for the color red, well, there aren't many things that I know is synonymous with that color... Ferrari, London buses, Liverpool, Man-U... Ideon is one of them. It will be released on Mac this year... enough time for you to change your mind.

Okay that just pissed me off. Bandai's making Ideon bigger then Dancougar but they couldn't make Gunbuster bigger?

Anime stats:

Ideon = 150 meters

GB = 200 meters

Dancougar = 25 meters

Woh, very nice indeed. I got mine for around $190, so $155 without shipping. EMS pretty much bumped that price up big time. But that's more or less the same if I bought from BBTS anyway, me living in Australia and all brings the shipping to $50 so getting from HLJ or whatever's cheaper in the Eastern hemisphere or from US is roughly the same, unless there's a BIG bargain, haha. Great for you guys in the States though, it's a great bargain. :D

Edited by rikiryou

I quite like the size and weight of the Gunbuster. Of course, the bigger would be better, but the smaller size keeps it more affordable, less problem with weight on joints and cheapper shipping.

Okay that just pissed me off. Bandai's making Ideon bigger then Dancougar but they couldn't make Gunbuster bigger?

Think Diamond is selling Ideon for about $200. Since I've got no attachment to it(never watched the cartoon)....maybe.

Anime stats:

Ideon = 150 meters

GB = 200 meters

Dancougar = 25 meters

Yeah that's also the letdown for me. And if you compare GB with Voltes head to head, GB is still A LITTLE shorter.

Honestly, I never seen this anime but this figure looks real nice. It looks like some sort of proto gundam. Anyone else have any news about this figure..Like when is it due out, how big it is or what its diecast content is etc?

Photos Courtesy of Protoform-S of Greattoys forums

i'd like to know too. I think it looks good I just want to know more about the actual toy

Looks to me like theres a lot of plastic and little metal. hopefully it the other way around.

HLJ has it listed as February release.