Can anyone explain to me what the gashapon is?

rewooh

I see said the blind man to no-one in particular :p

Always wondered myself. I have one I got from someone... a pod... kinda cool but still unassembled.

what other words we should know does anybody have?

I believe it can also refer to the toys that you get in little plastic capsules. You know like from the machines in front of super markets. However from what I've seen the Japanese ones are way cooler than the ones we have in the states. They are also sometimes refered to as capsule toys.

Just my 2 cents.

rewooh - "Claw game" machines are often referred to as "UFO Catcher" machines. They often have some very unique collectable items, but you can burn an awful lot of 100 yen coins trying to get them - it can be cheaper to go to a shop in Tokyo and buy the item in question...! :lol: (some Japanese people must make a fair living out of re-selling rare items to these shops! )

"Gashapon disease" is a term sometimes used to refer to bent or bendy material used in various toy lines; gashapon often have bent or bendy accessories ( swords, etc ) and the name is often applied to toys that aren't gashapon but have easily bent accessories - Gundam Mobile Suit in Action figures, for example.

A few words I see come up during my browsing I have no clue about...

GODAIKIN ???

CHOGOKIN ???

POPY ???

VOTOM(s) ???

Are they name brands, series, or what???

Not sure about "Godakin", but as for the rest:

"Chogokin" (often shortened to "gokin") refers to toys with a high percentage of die-cast metal content, much beloved by collectors of vintage Japanese toys, who like hernias when they pick up their priizes. :lol: I believe the term originated with the grand-daddy of all piloted mecha anime, Mazinger Z, where it refers to a super strong metal alloy, and was later picked up as a marketing/collective term for high-metal percentage toys.

"Popy" was a very famous toy firm from the 70s that I believe was later "folded" back into Bandai. Known for some extremely fine toys.

VOTOMs - famous 80s anime series known for its realistic blocky mecha designs amd grim portrayal of future warfare. Very popular with modellers who like a real military feel.

Alen Yens Toybox DX site should be able to help you with these and many other terms:

http://www.toyboxdx.com/

Godaikin was the line of Popy Chogokins Bandai released in the US in the early 80's (Like 81-83)

Some of the notable choices in the line were Tetsujin 28 (AKA Gigantor), Combattler V, Dynarobo (From Dynaman), and GoLion (Cmon, Yall KNOW who this is!!!)

M.U.S.C.L.E (I forgot the name of the Japanese originator) was also a gashapon series that came from overseas. It gained popularity as little gashapons in Stateside vending machines, they also have a M.U.S.C.L.E cartoon airing Saturday mornings on FOX.

BTW....it's an anime-ish wrestling series. B)

There's a great site call Alen Yen's ToyboxDX and it's got tons of info on collectible Japanese toys. There is a whole section dedicated to the Soul of Popynica and Soul of Chogokin toys here:

http://www.toyboxdx.com/popy/popy_data/popy_index.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page and on the bottom right you will find a little surprise in the shape of a Super-O. Apparently, Bandai had originally planned to release the Macross valkyries under their Soul of Popynica line!

If you look around through that site from the home page http://www.toyboxdx.com, somewhere there is also a huge glossary of terms specific to Japanese toys.

EDIT:

Here's the glossary page:

http://www.toyboxdx.com/glossary.html

And their definition for Gashapon:

GASHAPON - Small toys found in round plastic capsules and sold through vending machines. Very similar to the vending machine trinkets found at western supermarkets, but of much, much higher quality. The name is an onomatopeia of the noise made by the vending machines: "gasha gasha."

Edited by twinmoons