The Professional Photography and Photoshop Thread

kensei

I hope I can ask this question without us getting into a pissing match about which one is better, but I am curious to know why some choose Cannon and others choose Nikon. After all my research I found that Cannon generally stays on the bleeding edge with technological advancements while Nikon generally focuses on simplicity and making better what is already good. My research also led me to believe that Nikon, in genral, produces nicer lenses than Cannon. The choice for me was easy because I wanted a nice simple body with solid performance with a nice array of lenses to select from.

Why did you choose the camera you have today? :unsure:

This kind of question usually kills threads, majority of the time it turns into a pissing match. LOL

Personally, I just prefer the Canon interface and ergonomics, as well as their L lenses. In the end, it really comes down to the man and not the machine. :rolleyes:

That said, I just took some macro shots of the Sheryl figure I got in the mail today - will post some pics tomorrow. :lol:

Since we're now officially in a pissing match...

_________________________________________________________--> I hit here. :p

On topic.

I'm currently using a D70 (not a D70s, you whippersnappers! :lol: ), with a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens, 60mm macro lens, a 18 - 70mm DX, and a 35mm prime. I also have a teleconverter (next to unused), 2x SB600, and a SB-something commander unit (not the SB800). I'm entertaining suggestions to add to the stable, inclusive of a second body. Other relevant information:

My primary shooting patterns:

• I shoot indoors a lot, company events. Very low light (even in the day), so I need high ISO and high speed lens.
  • I also shoot miniatures/ toys a bit. Not true digital macrophotography, but similar techniques.

My preference is to shoot from far, using tele -- I'm a stalker, not a paparazzi. :)

I intend to stick with Nikon, so no Canon suggestions please. :) Also, whatever it is, it has to be CF compatible -- I'm using CF now, not keen to switch medias between 2 bodies.

So, suggestions? Would appreciate some rationals too.

I intend to stick with Nikon, so no Canon suggestions please. :) Also, whatever it is, it has to be CF compatible -- I'm using CF now, not keen to switch medias between 2 bodies.

you should buy a Canon ^_^

seriously though, how about a D300? it works with all your existing lenses and it's make all the people with D90's jealous.

Since we're now officially in a pissing match...

_________________________________________________________--> I hit here. :p

On topic.

I'm currently using a D70 (not a D70s, you whippersnappers! :lol: ), with a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens, 60mm macro lens, a 18 - 70mm DX, and a 35mm prime. I also have a teleconverter (next to unused), 2x SB600, and a SB-something commander unit (not the SB800). I'm entertaining suggestions to add to the stable, inclusive of a second body. Other relevant information:

My primary shooting patterns:

• I shoot indoors a lot, company events. Very low light (even in the day), so I need high ISO and high speed lens.
  • I also shoot miniatures/ toys a bit. Not true digital macrophotography, but similar techniques.
My preference is to shoot from far, using tele -- I'm a stalker, not a paparazzi. :)

If your trying to stay around the same price range why not look at the D90 or D5000? Check out the reviews at cameralabs.com. Gordon Lang gives a great in depth review on both and there is a video review on the conclusion pages that you can watch.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D5000/index.shtml

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D90/

Note there is no Compact Flash slot on either of these cameras. I think for mid range and lower Nikon has go to SD only. The good news is that you can get an 8GB high speed SD card for under $40 these days so I don't really see why you need to stick to CF.

Edited by logos

Note there is no Compact Flash slot on either of these cameras. I think for mid range and lower Nikon has go to SD only. The good news is that you can get an 8GB high speed SD card for under $40 these days so I don't really see why you need to stick to CF.

because CF cards offer more memory and higher speeds for less money.

also SD cards are flimsy, I like my recording media to have better tensile strength than a saltine cracker.

because CF cards offer more memory and higher speeds for less money.

also SD cards are flimsy, I like my recording media to have better tensile strength than a saltine cracker.

EDIT: When I say SD I am talking SDHC.

That is so not the case anymore. Where I live I can get equivalent memory SD/SDHC cards cheaper than CF just not as fast mind-you. You see the problem is that camera memory write time is way more dependent on the camera processor and buffer than the card. You are going to have to buy a $1200+ camera before you can even see slight deferences between the fastest cards. I know that you would like to keep your CF cards for a new camera but if you can buy a "fast" SDHC 16GB card for $50-$120 US why would you pay $80-$150 for the fastest 4-8GB cards that you are only going to notice the performance on a camera that is most likely more expensive than you need.

So it might be a bit faster but are you really going to see it in anything other than burst mode? SD is taking over the market and more and more DSLRs are SD only (even Olympus has started to move). About the only thing propping up CF sales today are high end SLRs and older devices using CF. Almost everything else has moved to SD because it is small and cheap. I will give in that CF is probably more durable than SD but you should store all media in thier plastic cases and in the camera so are you really going to break an SD card? It's not like a floppy so as long as you don't try to bend it between your fingers it should be fine. Never mind that if you are using and 8 to 16 GB card how often are you going to be taking it out of the camera?

If you want to stay with Nikon and use CF you are probably going to have to look at a D300 then which has CF and SD slots. Problem is that the Camera goes anywhere from $1300-$1700 bucks. Now I know you would rather stick to a Nikon to go with your glass so do you spend and extra $400-$800 for a now Full Frame Camera that you don't really need to save at MOST $100-200 to keep your existing memory? If you are making money taking pictures I would say go for it but for personal use a D300 is probably way more camera than you need.

Edited by logos

Sorry about the rant I got a little carried away. ^_^

Anyways nice Sheryl pics and nice lens! Anyway take some sample pics with it please? You've got to be able to get some really nice shallow depth of field pics with that 1.8 lens. :lol:

Edited by logos

EDIT: When I say SD I am talking SDHC.

That is so not the case anymore. Where I live I can get equivalent memory SD/SDHC cards cheaper than CF just not as fast mind-you. You see the problem is that camera memory write time is way more dependent on the camera processor and buffer than the card. You are going to have to buy a $1200+ camera before you can even see slight deferences between the fastest cards. I know that you would like to keep your CF cards for a new camera but if you can buy a "fast" SDHC 16GB card for $50-$120 US why would you pay $80-$150 for the fastest 4-8GB cards that you are only going to notice the performance on a camera that is most likely more expensive than you need.

I've got a $1,200 camera and I DO notice the difference in speed faster cards make.

So it might be a bit faster but are you really going to see it in anything other than burst mode? SD is taking over the market and more and more DSLRs are SD only (even Olympus has started to move). About the only thing propping up CF sales today are high end SLRs and older devices using CF. Almost everything else has moved to SD because it is small and cheap. I will give in that CF is probably more durable than SD but you should store all media in their plastic cases and in the camera so are you really going to break an SD card? It's not like a floppy so as long as you don't try to bend it between your fingers it should be fine. Never mind that if you are using and 8 to 16 GB card how often are you going to be taking it out of the camera?

photos also load quicker when you go to review them. and I've broken a SD card taking it out of it's case so yeah, I trust CF more than SD.

Alright, We interrupt your regularly scheduled gab to bring you something completely different:

Canon 70-200mm f/4L has arrived!

4210006899_7dd71f728c.jpg

don't they match just so well. ^_^

4210772116_da78c92f3a.jpg

UPS delivered this at about 10pm so I haven't had a chance to really give it a workout but here's a couple of quick shots I took while testing it out (shot in my room under terrible lighting, please excuse the awful high-ISO noise.)

4210007013_5c0d90937c.jpg

Hows this for some awesome bokeh :p (these were shot in front of my closet and some window binds respectively)

4210772222_e3d8d77041.jpg

4210006975_3fab8e11b1.jpg

better pictures will be spammed tomorrow when I've got some light.

Alright, We interrupt your regularly scheduled gab to bring you something completely different:

Canon 70-200mm f/4L has arrived!

4210006899_7dd71f728c.jpg

congrats, welcome to the prestigious L club :lol:

they say that lens is probably the best canon zoom (optically)

Great buy there anime52k8!

The 70-200 mmf4 is supposedly the sharpest telezoom lens on the planet. I chose the f2.8 because I wanted the extra stops available when I needed them. The 2.8 is still sharp as hell and I doubt my non-pro eye will notice the difference in sharpness. An L lens is quite an investment but you'll forget all about the money when you import that perfect picture into Lightroom.

Edited by Dante74

41fdSjO-0DL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

JVC GZ-HM200B Full HD.

New addition to the family, the birth of my little daughter only a week old now called for something brilliant to record all her little awesomeness.

I've been obviously too busy lately, but plan on testing it out on my new 11B, plus a few other little tricks i plan to make use of, should be sweet!

The zoom on this thing is freeking incredible.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

• 2 weeks later...
If you're looking for camera bags, I recommend lowepro camera bags. I have the slingshot model and I love it.

After some consideration I picked up the Lowepro 350AW. It's a little larger than what I wanted, but it has ample room for the extra stuff I plan to pick up. The selling point for me was the laptop compartment. The bag should make for nice storage as well. Just hope it's small enough for a carry on when flying.

After some consideration I picked up the Lowepro 350AW. It's a little larger than what I wanted, but it has ample room for the extra stuff I plan to pick up. The selling point for me was the laptop compartment. The bag should make for nice storage as well. Just hope it's small enough for a carry on when flying.

nice. I'd have gotten that if I had a slim profile laptop.

Good choice on the bag MacrossMan! You don't want to be spending extra cash on a new bag every time you buy an extra accessory for your camera.

Finally got my quick release clamp from RRS today so my tripod setup is complete.

I got the various componants from different stores and saved over €300 making it possible for me to have a pro grade ballhead for a consumer grade price. ^_^

mg0289.jpg

Phone camera pic. Camera/flash/lens combo in pic weighs just over 3kg and is locked solid!

04012010065.jpg

::EDIT:: Spelling.

Edited by Dante74

I knew I needed to score a bag to protect my stuff and the fact that it was only 75 bucks made it a no brainer. I am learning quickly though that between collecting Macross stuff and this photography thing one is going to have to be placed on hold! I've got custom work out the wauzoo lined up, but I keep seeing what I could be buying "camera wise" if I didn't have to pay for the customs.

I am fiending for the Nikon 70-200 version that same Cannon L lens. I'm not going to even delve into tripods because I have seen how expensive they can be. I know there has to be something there driving up the cost, but I do not care to know right now; it'll just remind me of how much money I have to spend that I don't have :blink: . Wish this stuff was cheaper.

It'll be June before I can afford 70-200, but that should do it for me for a while as far as lenses for what I plan to shoot.

I can then focus on a nice flash, the nikon camera grip for the D90, and a decent tripod. :wacko:

Tell me about it! It took months for me to compile a decent, and 'affordable' tripod/ballhead set-up and it still cost more than €600. This Gitzo isn't even a carbon version, those start at €450 for the one I'd need for my equipment.

I'm pretty much set for my racing photography with the 70-200 and the urban exploration stuff with the tripod for now. a fast ultra wide zoom is still on the wishlist, but it'll have to wait.

I haven't bought any Macross toys for little over a year now because all my extra cash is going into the photography thing. I'm even thinking about selling some of the toys to pay for the ultra wide. :mellow:

I knew I needed to score a bag to protect my stuff and the fact that it was only 75 bucks made it a no brainer. I am learning quickly though that between collecting Macross stuff and this photography thing one is going to have to be placed on hold! I've got custom work out the wauzoo lined up, but I keep seeing what I could be buying "camera wise" if I didn't have to pay for the customs.

I am fiending for the Nikon 70-200 version that same Cannon L lens. I'm not going to even delve into tripods because I have seen how expensive they can be. I know there has to be something there driving up the cost, but I do not care to know right now; it'll just remind me of how much money I have to spend that I don't have :blink: . Wish this stuff was cheaper.

It'll be June before I can afford 70-200, but that should do it for me for a while as far as lenses for what I plan to shoot.

I can then focus on a nice flash, the nikon camera grip for the D90, and a decent tripod. :wacko:

Man I haven't gotten a chance to take pictures outside yet.. been busy reorganizing things.. just took quick pics of the destroids.. hopefully this weekend i can play with the camera more .. man i need to get 2nd lens.. and there are a lots of lenses suggested on here.. damn.. getting more confused..

Man I haven't gotten a chance to take pictures outside yet.. been busy reorganizing things.. just took quick pics of the destroids.. hopefully this weekend i can play with the camera more .. man i need to get 2nd lens.. and there are a lots of lenses suggested on here.. damn.. getting more confused..

What lens are you using right now Kick? I'm trying to get a 70-200 f2.8 and I'll be finished with lenses for a while.