The Professional Photography and Photoshop Thread

kensei

Vegas... I looked thru your Flickr. Amazing pics! I gotta learn how to do some of that with my Rebel. Great stuff dude! Loved the car stuff!

thanks! ive learned alot from watching all the vids from here. i hope you do too

Olympus EP-1

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2009_reviews/olympus_ep1.html

Hey guys, I was thinking about picking up the Olympus EP-1. I have a Olympus E520 DSLR (which I like) at home. I take it traveling but I never carry it with me and I don't like the quality of point and shoots just because the large image sensors on DSLRs grab light so much better.

Anyways I am always carrying my backpack everywhere (insert man-purse joke here) cause I carry my ebook, mp3 player, lunch, laptop, etc. with me all the time. I was thinking this would be great alternative to the DSLR that is too bulky to carry in my bag. I know it lacks a built in flash and a viewfinder but I find that I am using the viewfinder on my DSLR less and less just because I accessing the menus all the time to change stuff so I am using the LCD to frame my pictures as well.

What do you guys think? I'm always using the crappy little cannon point and shoot from the office for my toy pics cause I never think to bring my camera to work for my toy picks. I would like to carry around a camera in my bag that I always have with me and I really hate the quality of the point and shoots. FYI it's pricey too at like $800US.

Never mind it just looks cool.

Edited by logos

It sounds awesome! I wanted to get a range finder type camera as a walk around but they're either ridiculously expensive or just didn't offer the sort of performance I wanted or both... This seems like a great blend of size and performance.

If you do get it, please post a review!

We have a G series in the office that we use for manuals. It's good but again we find the the lack of a nice large image sensor really hurts it sometimes and we have to use an attached flash in allot of places we shouldn't need to. Also the G series have off center optical view finders. We've learned to compensate but ugh it's just another reason I have been slipping to using an LCD over a OVF over the years. Needless to say we have a G8 and it's a great camera but it's just not for me (especially having large hands) FYI I haven't tried a G10 but I have read the G10 has the same problem with the OVF.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_review...conclusion.html

I am hoping a couple of months after the EP-1 comes out in July the price will stop dropping. I really like the look of this camera cause it reminds me of my Dad's old Rangefinder and if it has the same feel that I get when I hold it in my hands it will be a buy. Nothing beats the feel of a solid metal body (although this is a plastic frame covered in a stainless steel and aluminum case so..... -_- ).

Besides it's still cheaper than a Lecia M8.........$6000...... :ph34r:

Edit: As to a review to the EP-1 check the one I posted above (I will post it again) from Steve's digicam. He doesn't rate cameras but he will give you an opinion to the good and bad of the camera as well as allot of nice sample photos for comparison.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2009_review...conclusion.html

Edited by logos

• 1 month later...

the EP-1 still looks better if I had the money for a compact camera. (the lack of flash didn't bother me nearly as much as the lack of viewfinder)

I want to see someone come out with a rangefinder like the M8 that isn't $4k. :wacko:

the EP-1 still looks better if I had the money for a compact camera. (the lack of flash didn't bother me nearly as much as the lack of viewfinder)

I want to see someone come out with a rangefinder like the M8 that isn't $4k. :wacko:

I'll take leica over olympus any day of the week, especially when the difference is only 100 dollars.

• 1 month later...

I went and bought a Powershot G11 on the weekend and I have to say that I am fairly impressed with it. I bought it mainly for portability (fits perfectly in a pouch on the interior of my backpack) and I am rather enjoying it so far. It's no DSLR I know but when you combine the portability with the decent low light and ease of use I rather love the little thing. Here are some quick shots. I will try to provide some better ones latter on today.

Note that I did look at an EP-1 and the Pansonic GR-1 but the price was just to high. I could have got a Canon Rebel for less than the $600 Can I paid for the G11 but I just love the performance combined with the small package of this camera. Note that I did not use a flash on any of these pictures and all the none Macross ones are taken at ISO 400 or 800. The Macross ones are set to ISO200 as I wanted to take some quick picks before posting and I wasn't paying attention.

post-9075-1256570705_thumb.jpg

post-9075-1256570740_thumb.jpg

post-9075-1256570826_thumb.jpg

post-9075-1256570994_thumb.jpg

post-9075-1256571063_thumb.jpg

post-9075-1256571107_thumb.jpg

post-9075-1256571206_thumb.jpg

post-9075-1256571340_thumb.jpg

Yeah I only wish it had an F 2.0 instead of an F2.8 lens. Oh well it's not the end of the world. What I really love is that you can go to full manual mode and adjust all the settings easily. ISO and Exposure have dedicated knobs and the shutter and Aperture are quickly set through the menu.

Edit: I will post full sized pics here and resize some of them for the "strike a pose thread".

Edited by logos

Well here they are. These are full Macro sized images (you can compare and judge for yourselves) so sorry to all of you guys who have slower connections. :(....Ahem...now...tried to keep the settings the same for every shot:

Iso: 200

Exposure: -1

Aperture: 2.8

Shutter speed: (above 1/2, I don't have a tripod or anything yet so I don't go below 1/2 if I can)

File size is around 1.5-2.2 MB per jpeg. There is no super fine option on the Canon anymore so this is the best they get in jpeg mode. Have yet to try RAW.

- If you have any specific scene or setting you would like to see done for comparison let me know. FYI I don't have a light box yet. Been meaning to build one so maybe I will get off my ass and build one now.

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

FYI the bayonet was touching the lens on this one.....

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

Edited by logos