Starblazers

Steve68

No new info per se. But from the writing in that link, this is no normal Space Cruiser Yamato toy. Its going to cost around 60000yen, with remote control moving turrets(a bunch of them in fact), as well as a bunch of light & sound gimmick. Guess its the MacDaddy Yamato toy for the really rich kids. Its supposed to be released sometime this year. But since there don't seem to have any recent news, it might got delayed or scrapped. Not too sure really. And as you can see in the pics, its somewhat bigger than the Soul of Popynica Yamato besides it.

However, if you are looking for a very fun Yamato toy but cost less than 1/10 of it (only around $30-40 on ebay), try the Mechanical File Yamato trade figure set. With all 8 parts(1 box set), it combines into a 14" long Yamato with every little part and body panels removable. I put together mine recently, and had so much fun. If you want, you can literally disassemble the thing into hundreds of small mechanical bits, then put them back together like a 3D puzzle. All parts follow the original design (including all inner structure) faithfully. Or if you want a more solid ship so that you can pick it up and fly around, add a little superglue here & there to glue or thicken some pegs to make the body blocks lock better. This is the most fun Yamato toy I've come across, and much cheaper than any good ones out there.

Edited by mpchi

Yeah, but when are they going to release that Andromeda mechanical file? I love my Yamato mechanical file ship, but there can't be any substitute for the diecast/plastic piece of work that Bandai has/is making...

Edited by myk

Aside from the autocad pics posted a few months ago I haven't heard any new news about the Andromeda Mechanical File. I'm hoping it's still in the pipeline after Bandai finishes with the White Base.

Hopefully it'll parlay into a Soul of Popynica Andromeda that I've been hoping would come for years.

I noticed that the 1/500 Yamato is listed as a November restock on HLJ, but the shipping is more than the kit itself. I don't get that because I orderd 5 kits from HLJ a few weeks ago and their total weight was more than twice that of the Yamato and the shipping was less. :blink: I'm hoping it's a typo on their site.

Steve

I noticed that the 1/500 Yamato is listed as a November restock on HLJ, but the shipping is more than the kit itself. I don't get that because I orderd 5 kits from HLJ a few weeks ago and their total weight was more than twice that of the Yamato and the shipping was less. I'm hoping it's a typo on their site.

It may not be a typo. Package size also determines its shipping price. Plus, from what HLJ says on its website, shipping costs are less if you're ordering more than one item.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I was looking for some Space Battleship Yamato / Starblazers advice.

Much like Macross/Robotech I orginally saw Starblazers as a kid, loved it and then came to know that it was originally a Japanese anime that has been americanized for my consumption, so..... I want to go back and see the show, I have done a little looking and my options appear to be buy the americanized version I saw as a kid, or you can get the first 26 episodes of the original uneditted show but the DVD supposedly fairly poor quality and the company that released those episodes has no plans to release the rest of the series.

Are there significant edits that change the show much? Any first hand experince with the DVD's?

Hey guys, I was looking for some Space Battleship Yamato / Starblazers advice.

Much like Macross/Robotech I orginally saw Starblazers as a kid, loved it and then came to know that it was originally a Japanese anime that has been americanized for my consumption, so..... I want to go back and see the show, I have done a little looking and my options appear to be buy the americanized version I saw as a kid, or you can get the first 26 episodes of the original uneditted show but the DVD supposedly fairly poor quality and the company that released those episodes has no plans to release the rest of the series.

Are there significant edits that change the show much? Any first hand experince with the DVD's?

Central Anime is fansubbing the series. They're done with the first season and working on the second season. I recommend looking for them.

Thanks for the tip :)

Have you watched both the original and the "Starblazers" version, I am interested to know if there were substantial edits made to the version we had on TV?

The most substantial edit was at the start. SB had the long WW2 flashback of the IJN Yamato edited out. Other then that, its the usual barebreast/shower scene/blood/alcohol edits common to most Americanized anime/manga.

You a fan of General Lysis from the first season? His fate was the complete opposite of what he experienced in the U.S. version "Star Blazers."

Damnit, where is that Andromeda Mechanical File?

I've always wondered if the various "Cosmo" fighters had been meant to be painted grey like that kit, or if what we saw in the animation was actually portraying a sort of bare natural metal finish, like any of the early jet fighters. Given the limited color palate of 1970's anime, I don't know how else they'd portray metal other than a greyish color.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen this show since the late 1970's so my memory is a little fuzzy, but if that little cell of the Black Tiger is from the show then I'd say Bandai completely pooched the kit. The vertical fin looks wrong and the wings look too short in chord. Also the distance between the base of the veritcal fin and the back of the canopy is way too short on the model.

Steve

I agree that something does look "off" but hopefully thats just because that was an early version of the kit. Either way, I'll pass on this one, never cared for the Cosmo Tiger. Now the Cosmo Tiger II, I'll gladly buy!!

I got my Cosmo zero ordered, it's one of my favorite fighter design off all time! Can't wait to get it!!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I typically hate these "collectible" trading, gashapon, whatchamacallits, but I'm definitely interested in trying to find the Andromeda-I can't get enough of that ship, especially when you consider that the 12" long mechanical file version is still unaccounted for.

http://rsc-online.com/4560173820417.html

• 1 month later...

I have the Cosmo Zero finished and the Tiger about half to 3/4 of the way finished. I'm in the process of moving at the moment and my models are at my new house. I'll try to take some pictures soon if you want to see.

Anyone else notice that the Tiger 2's canopy appears to be on backwards in the pictue that is available. Also, does anyone know if the Tiger II can be built without the Turret?

Chris