Heroes

Dangard Ace

Speculation:

All you guys are noting that Sylar may have power-stealing abilities similar to Peter's. That he obviously is hunting specials, takes the brains of only SOME of his kills (so as to permanentize the absorption?), "hungers for [power]", etc. He's also demonstrated several distinct powers - telekinesis, thermal control, possibly regeneration, flight, strength. So, then, why not an obvious possible conclusion... Sylar IS Peter? We've already met future Hiro - why not a psychotic future Peter? Perhaps he made it back to "the beginning" via use of Hiro's power, and is here to change the past in his own way....

Credible?

Then Hiro would have been smarter to just kill Peter when he came back. Wouldn't future Hiro know a good bit about Sylar? Then again today's show kind of hinted at "redo's"....

So what's the verdict on bypolar girl? I couldn't really tell anything conclusive.

Excepting regeneration (which we have no evidence of, that I've seen), all of these are doable with just telekinesis.

I admit I was distracted while watching a few weeks ago, so I may have mistaken what I saw -- doesn't telepathic cop guy empty his pistol into Sylar in the police station basement? Now sure, he could've telekinetically stopped the bullets.... but I seem to recall him dropping, then getting back up...

I admit I was distracted while watching a few weeks ago, so I may have mistaken what I saw -- doesn't telepathic cop guy empty his pistol into Sylar in the police station basement? Now sure, he could've telekinetically stopped the bullets.... but I seem to recall him dropping, then getting back up...

Can also be explained with a bulletproof jacket.

You can hear the bullets hitting the ground after he gets done shooting, if you listen closely.

As for thermal control, heat is nothing more than moving molecules. Just use TK to move them faster or slower to control the temperature.

HRG so gets around really fast...

vnnie

Well, a lot could be explained by him having access to a private plane and not depending on airlines. Plus, yesterday's episode proves that not all the stories are taking place in the same time frame (it was night for Niki and DL as well as for Hiro and Ando, but it was daytime for Claire and Mohinder).

You can hear the bullets hitting the ground after he gets done shooting, if you listen closely.

As for thermal control, heat is nothing more than moving molecules. Just use TK to move them faster or slower to control the temperature.

Temperature is ambient thermal energy. Gas molecules moving at random speeds and in random direction. It's one thing to move a set of molecules in one direction and at the same relative speed, but to control trillion of trillions of air molecules moving in just as many directions?

As for HRG and private plane, yeah that could be true, but its more fun if he had powers too. If he did have powers it wouldn't be teleporation. I'd say he can move really fast. Not fly but kind of like the Flash?

I do not believe Sylar wears a bullet proof vest. What kind of villain wears bullet proof vests? Not the bad ass variety.

vinnie

I do not believe Sylar wears a bullet proof vest. What kind of villain wears bullet proof vests? Not the bad ass variety.

vinnie

Well he's also the type that doesn't monologue. What bad ass villain doesn't monologue? :p

He's smart(reads those brain surgery books) so would probably take some precautions when infiltrating a place where everyone's a trigger happy fool. :p

I vote for telekinesis power though. Explains most of his "accomplisments" so far....if in fact the guy in the FBI headquarters was Sylar.

Temperature is ambient thermal energy. Gas molecules moving at random speeds and in random direction. It's one thing to move a set of molecules in one direction and at the same relative speed, but to control trillion of trillions of air molecules moving in just as many directions?

Why mess with the air molecules? He just needs to manipulate the ones in the object he's freezing (i.e. the guy's head).

Why mess with the air molecules? He just needs to manipulate the ones in the object he's freezing (i.e. the guy's head).

I guess my problem with what you're saying is that Sylar has the ability to control individual atoms and molecules. That would give him God-like powers. There's no limit: fusion initiation, spontaneous combustion, nuclear detonation, molecular decomposition... basically if you can think it, he can do it.

Think of it this way: just because you can carry a pitcher of water doesn't mean you isolate out individual water molecules to carry.

For me telekinesis embodies only abilities involved in controlling the motion of a few items at the macroscopic scale. That is why I consider thermal control a different set of powers: the ability to absorb ambient energy to lower the temperature of the object you are absorbing energy from.

vinnie

I guess my problem with what you're saying is that Sylar has the ability to control individual atoms and molecules. That would give him God-like powers. There's no limit: fusion initiation, spontaneous combustion, nuclear detonation, molecular decomposition... basically if you can think it, he can do it.

Think of it this way: just because you can carry a pitcher of water doesn't mean you isolate out individual water molecules to carry.

For me telekinesis embodies only abilities involved in controlling the motion of a few items at the macroscopic scale. That is why I consider thermal control a different set of powers: the ability to absorb ambient energy to lower the temperature of the object you are absorbing energy from.

vinnie

It's not a common trope, but using TK to affect temperature or set things on fire has been used in fiction. I think you're reading a bit more into it (being able to make groups of molecules vibrate faster or slower is a far cry from the fine manipulation needed to initiate fusion), but one way or the other we're both just speculating.

It's not a common trope, but using TK to affect temperature or set things on fire has been used in fiction. I think you're reading a bit more into it (being able to make groups of molecules vibrate faster or slower is a far cry from the fine manipulation needed to initiate fusion), but one way or the other we're both just speculating.

True this is all fiction. And my personal interpretations of the powers is based on my knowledge of science. Generating net motion in a group of molecules is easy. But controlling the motions of individual molcules in random motion enmasse is a lot harder. It's not a matter of fine control, but rather the sheer amount of control. As an analogy, imagine controlling one ant in an ant farm. You could push and prod it certain directions. Now imagine doing that to all of the ants at once. It's neigh impossible! But you CAN move all of the ants at once by moving the ant farm so that even though each ant is still moving randomly (relatively for the purposes of this analogy) but they still all have net motion relative to you.

For Sylar to have thermal control he could need to be conscious of each molecule to counter its random motion. If the writers say he can do that, than I am going to really hate Sylar as a character.

Anyways, let's end this debate here.I agree yes TK can cause thermal control but would require a level of consciousness and control that would basically make a god. And I don't like that.

vinnie

Oh, total speculation, no hard facts :D

I by no means think it probable that Sylar==Future Peter, I just thought it a fun idea and in tune with the whole "Days of Future Past" riff they've got going on.... and Sylar being a power thief with multiple "permanent adds" (ala Rogue) by virtue of the brains he's taken is no more and no less proven out by what we've seen than his being a telekinetic with superior control of his single talent is (even the bullets tinkling on the floor is a non-decider - they could've been blocked, sure, but they could also have penetrated and then been ejected by rapidly closing wounds.) Whatever way it goes, I'm hoping for an interesting backstory and a compelling superpower.

Oh, total speculation, no hard facts :D

I by no means think it probable that Sylar==Future Peter, I just thought it a fun idea and in tune with the whole "Days of Future Past" riff they've got going on.... and Sylar being a power thief with multiple "permanent adds" (ala Rogue) by virtue of the brains he's taken is no more and no less proven out by what we've seen than his being a telekinetic with superior control of his single talent is (even the bullets tinkling on the floor is a non-decider - they could've been blocked, sure, but they could also have penetrated and then been ejected by rapidly closing wounds.) Whatever way it goes, I'm hoping for an interesting backstory and a compelling superpower.

Someone on another board posted a close-up of a news clipping pinned next to the map in Sylar's apartment. It's a copy of his birth anouncement, which lists him as beiing Paul Sylar and being born in 60's.

The thing that has me most interested is who Mr. Bennet works for and whose side is he on.

Someone on another board posted a close-up of a news clipping pinned next to the map in Sylar's apartment. It's a copy of his birth anouncement, which lists him as beiing Paul Sylar and being born in 60's.

The thing that has me most interested is who Mr. Bennet works for and whose side is he on.

Actually that's kind of interesting. Why would Sylar have/need a news clipping of his own birthday(plus if anyone, would he himself not know when he was born)?

But I ain't no serial killer so I wouldn't know how their mind works.

And HRG is on HRG's side. Plus the actor who plays Bennet(HRG) just got picked up as a regular. He ain't going nowhere for awhile.

HRG FTW!

Hey, cool! According to imdb, Sylar.... is Sean Bean!

Ol' Sean apparently filmed 3 episodes a few months back. Well, we know he looks good in a hat....

Think he'll drop "Still Sharpe!" at some point?

Hey, cool! According to imdb, Sylar.... is Sean Bean!

Ol' Sean apparently filmed 3 episodes a few months back. Well, we know he looks good in a hat....

Think he'll drop "Still Sharpe!" at some point?

Bean says it's not true. IMDB is very unreliable, because anyone can add what they want.

Nice post I found on 9thwonders from someone who actually read RS and watches Heroes.

Hello, Arkain.

I've read Rising Stars, and it's a great comic. There are definitely similarities, mainly in the "serial killer that is murdering superbeings thing", but the differences in important aspects far outweight the similarities to me.

Important characters like John, Ravenshadow, Chandra, Matt Bright, and Sanctuary have no analogues at all in Heroes. Their personalities, dynamics, and occupations are completely different from the Heroes' characters.

Nathan and Jason have slight similarities, in that they're both fliers, public figures, and morally ambiguous, but while Jason revels in his powers, Nathan hides them and wants to forget about them. While Jason is basically all-American boy at the surface and totally evil inside (or not really, since he was mind-controlled), Nathan is presented as more morally ambiguous at all levels from the get go. Not to mention the brother thing.

There are cops called Matt in both stories too. smile.gif But Matt Bright is Superman, while Matt Parkman is a overweight, married telepath with lots of issues.

Niki and Critical Maas may have the greatest similarities, but even so, Niki has the family thing, the motherhood, that is a very important aspect of her, and she is also more of a protagonist from the beginning, while Maas is in the role of direct antagonist that hasn't much screen time except when she is battling the good guys.

Truthfully, I thought Heroes more reminiscent of X-Men. The evolution thing, that is absent from Rising Stars, is important in Heroes. Almost all of the powers in Heroes are taken from popular X-Men characters. But here too there are so many differences, that I wouldn't say it's too similar to X-Men, as the powers were assigned to characters so completely different from any X-Men (Logan's power in a cheerleader, Rogue's power in a sensitive male nurse, Xavier's power in a cop, Kitty's power in a criminal fugitive).

The main thrust of Heroes' storyline, the dynamics between the characters, the characters themselves, don't seem to me too patterned on anything that came before. But also, I can see the similarities. smile.gif

Rising Stars too has similarities to stuff that came before. Heroes' eclipse is similar to Rising Stars' comet, but the comet also is similar to the White Event from Marvel Comics' New Universe from the middle 80s.

Rising Stars has a long-haired, Byronic protagonist that feels he has to take care of all the rest of the superhuman community, and that is the very same deal in the Wild Cards novels also from the middle 80s.

It's like they're all influenced each other, I suppose. But I can't say any of them is a "copy" of the other.

http://www.9thwonders.com/boards/index.php...amp;#entry69104

And we've got 12hrs to go before the next installment of Heroes. :D

Greg Grunberg interview/clip on MSNBC.com.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/fv/msnbc/fv.htm?...00&fg=email

Turns out there's a 5-10sec clip of what's going to happen to Matt and his wife tonight so anti-spoiler people might not want to watch this until after the show.

Forge powers, huh? Nothing like his parents. And he's been aware of Jessica. Radiation dude is cool. One of those not very practical powers. Then again Nathan's right... fly around saving cats from trees...

vinnie

You got to really feel sorry for the guy. I mean that last message from his wife telling him that she didn't think it was his fault she had cancer, but you know it probably was.

Well that was a pretty damn good leadup to the Sweeps week episode. Homecoming where we get to see Sylar take on Claire and Peter!

I'll wait for you westcoasters to finish watching it before I start posting about this awesome episode that happened tonight.

HRG FTW!

Well that was a pretty damn good leadup to the Sweeps week episode. Homecoming where we get to see Sylar take on Claire and Peter!

I'll wait for you westcoasters to finish watching it before I start posting about this awesome episode that happened tonight.

HRG FTW!

Indeed an excellent setup for the next few eps. HRG is rapidly becoming a favorite character... In a way I see his point. How do you go up to someone and say, "Hey you have powers and we want to study and monitor you." The redhead is cute!!! I hope she comes back!

vinnie

8min Preview of Homecoming as presented by Access Hollywood.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SisOZQOzr64

What a tease!!! How come Sylar doesn't attack Jackie? I mean how does he know about Claire??? With Jackie's publicity... it would make more sense. Guess Peter will borrow some powers too from the looks of it.

vinnie

What a tease!!! How come Sylar doesn't attack Jackie? I mean how does he know about Claire??? With Jackie's publicity... it would make more sense. Guess Peter will borrow some powers too from the looks of it.

vinnie

Actually he does. It's in one of the other two Homecoming previews either on NBC's website or on Youtube.

GEEK NEWS UPDATE!

November 16, 2006 (New York, NY) - On the NBC smash hit Heroes, time-traveling fanboy Hiro Nakamura is insanely obsessed with Star Trek. TV Guide magazine has gotten word that Hiro's father will be played by Trek icon George Takei (Sulu) (in the November 27 issue; on newsstands Thursday, November 23). The new character will be introduced in a January 29 cliff-hanger.

"It was one of those lightning-bolt ideas," creator Tim Kring tells TV Guide.

Masi Oka, who plays Hiro, is also over the moon. "This is absolutely brilliant!" the Tokyo-born actor tells TV Guide. "Hiro's father is this big honcho who shows up in America with his bodyguard. He has this whole elaborate scheme to kidnap his son and take him back to Japan."

Adds Oka, "I just hope I get to say, 'Dad! Sulu is my hero, not you!' The sci-fi fans would love it!"

----

The Nov. 27 TV Guide hits newsstands next week.