The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

either way I've bought lots of stuff from them and they're gone now and Sony is still here.... making crappy electronics and pissing gamers off with their arrogant attitude.

as far as I'm concerned nothing good has come out of Sony in years.... even my MP3 player from them sucked ;)

ouch.... I was wondering if those super cool "Sixaxis" controllers were going to have replaceable batteries like a cellphone but I guess not....

Xbox360 wins again... its got rumble and you don't have to wait for Sony to mail you a new controller while your third friend sits on the couch controllerless... :p

Sure, man, whatever you say, I can't believe you consider this a bad thing. $20 extra for a recharging kit from Microsoft that it also will last about the same about of time before you have to replace it's rechargable batteries, or buying new batteriers every time it runs out surely does not equal xbox360 winning again. You will be spending much more money on the wireless xbox 360 controller. If you prefer wired ones then, you can do the same with the Ps3 controller.

i've got dozens of rechargable batteries I use in my 360 controllers that i've had for years... I never bothered with a charge-n-play kit.

but if you insist on being able to game-n-charge I'd rather it be via a replaceable, $20 component rather than a replaceable, $60 controller.

both controllers do the same thing... except the 360 has you replacing a $20 "piece" of a controller and the PS3 has you replacing an entire $60 controller if the battery dies.

and we all know how great battery life is on those Bluetooth enabled devices... about a quarter the life of an RF device. so expect lots and lots of charges and lesser and lesser internal battery life :)

i've got dozens of rechargable batteries I use in my 360 controllers that i've had for years... I never bothered with a charge-n-play kit.

but if you insist on being able to game-n-charge I'd rather it be via a replaceable, $20 component rather than a replaceable, $60 controller.

both controllers do the same thing... except the 360 has you replacing a $20 "piece" of a controller and the PS3 has you replacing an entire $60 controller if the battery dies.

and we all know how great battery life is on those Bluetooth enabled devices... about a quarter the life of an RF device. so expect lots and lots of charges and lesser and lesser internal battery life :)

When did they become $60 controllers?

From everything I've read on the subject, this does indeed seem more like Harmony Gold telling importers they can't sell Yamato toys in the U.S., and not really like "HG selling Macross 7 and Plus stuff tomorrow and being told by Japan their license doesn't cover that and doing it anyways for years."

Is there a clear source on just what Lik-sang was sued over? Everywhere I read it seems to be import PSPs in Europe. Also, is there a clear source on whether this was illegal? I've heard this is unclear and that the reason the court ruled against Lik-sang was that they did not appear in court, and not an actual judgement on the legality.

From everything I've read on the subject, this does indeed seem more like Harmony Gold telling importers they can't sell Yamato toys in the U.S., and not really like "HG selling Macross 7 and Plus stuff tomorrow and being told by Japan their license doesn't cover that and doing it anyways for years."

Is there a clear source on just what Lik-sang was sued over? Everywhere I read it seems to be import PSPs in Europe. Also, is there a clear source on whether this was illegal? I've heard this is unclear and that the reason the court ruled against Lik-sang was that they did not appear in court, and not an actual judgement on the legality.

To make a long story short...

Lik Sang had pending suits with Sony over sales of PSP's to the UK. They weren't supposed to sell them there, and had re-sellers agreements with Sony stating that the units they received would be sold in a particular area and not exported to the UK. Then they exported them out to the UK.

Not a huge thing anyways...Sony filed aganst Lik-Sang for this. Lik-Sang hasn't payed Sony anything, nor were they told to "shut down" anything by anyone except to stop sending PSP's to the UK. Lik Sang throws a tantrum and says they have to shut down because of lawsuits with Sony.

What they are doing is presumably filing for bankruptcy to avoid paying anything. Would it be enough to truly bankrupt Lik Sang...not likely...would the lawsuit force Lik-Sang to close? Nope. This wasn't as big a deal as Lik-Sang made it. But their thousands of customers won't know that.

To go slightly off subject...this is a common HK and China business practice...stay on the edge of the laws and when the heat comes, vanish with money. (It happens with DVD player manufacturers in China...they make players for a month, then when the licensing fees to DVD forum are to be paid, they claim bankruptcy or vanish and set up again next month with a new name. )

I agree the PSP thing was a small thing, but it is in Sony's legal right to do so. I suspect that Sony went after Lik Sang because of their past history together since Sony and other importers seem to find common ground and get along ok.

I never dealt with Lik-Sang much as a gaming customer...I do know that some of their import PS2 and GBA titles weren't shall we say..."legtit". But they are based in HK so...there ya go.

Sad day indeed for the import gamer. Sony gets bad publicity. Lik-Sang pulls a Chinese DVD player manufacturer impression to avoid paying anything. We all lose.

Edited by Gaijin

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154630

To add some more fuel to the Lik-Sang/Sony controversy, as pointed out by 1up.com (it should also be in the Lik-Sang letter) some of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's higher ups are customers of Lik-Sang and purchase PSP goods through Lik-Sang.

They didn't drop the idea...it was never in the PS3 cards. The rumor was one stretched out of something thought of years ago...it died there and was only brought back as a negative rumor about the PS3.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154630

To add some more fuel to the Lik-Sang/Sony controversy, as pointed out by 1up.com (it should also be in the Lik-Sang letter) some of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's higher ups are customers of Lik-Sang and purchase PSP goods through Lik-Sang.

here's a update on that one.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154645

This isn't the first time Lik-Sang's run into legal trouble before, either. In 2002, Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft all alleged copyright infringements over the sale of mod chips. None of these legal hurdles seemed to pose a problem for the company, though, as they were still operating as of yesterday.

Liksang also snitched on their customers, I feel sorry for the Sony guys that brought PSP from them. What happen to consumer privacy.

PlayStation 3 Inside and Out

I had spaced it out, but I see that the movie region set up for Blu-Ray movie DVD's is different then old DVD's. The US and Japan are part of the same Blu-Ray region meaning one can import Blu-Ray anime DVD's from Japan no problem! Hmmmm.....

Edited by Apollo Leader

Basically, Sony Sucks, they don't suck as bad as Microsoft because their game systems have better developer support for the types of games I play, but it isn't much of a stretch to compare the two. Lik Sang sucks for not being willing to work out a deal rather than going pure pirate, and we all lose one of the few relatively safe reliable importers for a while.

Looks like places like NCSX will probably reap the benefits of this little spat.

Shame Lik-Sang have always done good for me. They will probably spring up as something else. Sony loves bad press nothing spreads better than bad news and what better than free news when your about to launch you new product.

I was in Tokyo when the psp launched and remember the queing and such. There were loads of people buying up handfulls of them including many Chinese and Europeans. I bought one just because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. A few weeks later Sony slapped some kind of order on retailers to stop them selling to foreigners. I got asked for my Id`s when I went to get one for a friend. Lucky I speak enough to get me by. I told him I was a teacher of English, one psp in the bag thankyou.

I expect this is something of the same, a bit of corparate Sabre rattling and nothing bad will come of it. I also agree Nintendo can be just as bad ( I worked for them about 10 years ago) some of their practaces are a bit sketchy to say the least.

Edited by big F

PlayStation 3 Inside and Out

I had spaced it out, but I see that the movie region set up for Blu-Ray movie DVD's is different then old DVD's. The US and Japan are part of the same Blu-Ray region meaning one can import Blu-Ray anime DVD's from Japan no problem! Hmmmm.....

Yup. BD's follow a new region system...I posted the regions earlier in this thread somehere...basically it's:

Region A: North America, South America, Japan and most of Eastern Asia except China

Region B: Europe & Africa

Region C: China, Russia, some other small countries

Oh and the Play Beyond site has been thankfully updated..no more cryptic crap...instead we get... Lance Hendrickson? :lol:

Japan launch day release cut to 80,000. Is a cut in the US launch forth coming? Ever since Sony announced the launch release being reduced from 2 million to 500,000, I've been predicting that further cuts were possible. It's clear that Sony's higher-ups were a little way too optimistic in what the manufacturing end of the company and its suppliers could do.

I found my quote in this very same thread from almost three weeks ago. Sad to say I was right, but I wish someone would have wagered some money against my bet. ;)

Anyway, it's going to be a nightmare getting the PS3 during the next several months.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/04/write-a-...sony-win-a-ps3/

Intersting that Sony can't guarantee just 10 measly systems to the winners of this contest for up to 5 months. <_<

Does anyone want to bet that Sony might fall short of the 400,000 US / 1000,000 Japan promised for the launch next month?

Glad I'm not getting the PS3 (at least for now). It's going to be a total circus next month. This thing is going to have a higher failure rate then the launch 360's.

But if I did get one, I would definitely get the new Gundam game, Resistance: Fall of Man, and Ridge Racer 7.

Edited by Apollo Leader

Every console launch is bad as far as finding them in stores, it just sounds like the PS3 launch will be especially bad. Then again, with the price so high, there might not be as much of a turnout. It'll still be bad, though. I'm sure there's many more people willing to buy a PS3 at launch than there are units promised for launch.

pre-orders are completely sold out at all gamestops, eb games, game crazys etc. so the price didn't scare some people away.

the only way to get a console is going to be to camp out at a target, wal-mart, best buy etc. or pay $1,000 for one on ebay.

same for the wii too because all the pre-orders on those are sold out too.

The Sony ads are confusing, did anyone get what the "baby crying" commercial meant?

Attached is a billboard ad that that has a chess piece bleeding. I know it's a king so what it could mean is the next war game is over when Ps3 is release (since killing the king means game over),

...but it could also mean it's foreshadowing the PS3's future (because obviously Sony is the current king and it's obviously dead....) :p

post-405-1162259874_thumb.jpg

The Sony ads are confusing, did anyone get what the "baby crying" commercial meant?

Attached is a billboard ad that that has a chess piece bleeding. I know it's a king so what it could mean is the next war game is over when Ps3 is release (since killing the king means game over),

...but it could also mean it's foreshadowing the PS3's future (because obviously Sony is the current king and it's obviously dead....) :p

It's part of the whole "Play Beyond" campaign...as in a overkilll type thing...some ads show a Paper Rock Scissors game with 2 hands...with hands with real sharp blades coming out for scissors, and one a sold rock. One was a person doing jungle gym type bars but over lava etc..

It's part of the whole "Play Beyond" campaign...as in a overkilll type thing...some ads show a Paper Rock Scissors game with 2 hands...with hands with real sharp blades coming out for scissors, and one a sold rock. One was a person doing jungle gym type bars but over lava etc..

As with some website stated that the slogan should be changed to "Pay Beyond." :p

here are some short reviews of some PS3 games. Some engrish included :huh:

Here are the latest Japanese game review score for the first batch of PlayStation 3 titles:

Ridge Racer 7 (PS3, Namco Bandai): 9, 9, 9, 9 - (36/40)

- Reviewers are very content with the game, especially with the extensive content. Graphics and sounds are overwhelming

Genji: Kamui Souran (PS3, Sony): 7, 7, 7, 8 - (29/40)

- Good control, extensive content and accessiblity for beginners, but there are some camera problems

Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3, Sony): 9, 8, 8, 8 - (33/40)

- The play mechanics are typical first person shooters, but the online duals are excellent, and have high qualitative value

Sega Golf Club: Miyasato Miyoshi Kyoudai Naizou (PS3, Sega): 7, 7, 7, 7 - (28/40)

- It doesn't look like a next-gen game, the game sped is right, yet different to see when striking the ball

Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight (PS3, Namco Bandai): 8, 8, 8, 8 - (32/40)

- The character models are outstanding, it is fun that you can destroy everything in the stage

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

I'm actually surprised Famitsu gave fairly high scores. They normally don't.

Edit: But then again...they gave that Dirge of Cerebus or whatever pretty good scores so maybe they are are being less harsh nowadays.

Edited by Gaijin

Famitsu scores are notoriously unreliable, I wouldn't trust them.

I haven't actually seen a Famitsu in my hands since 2001 or so nor followed their scores the last few years...has the mag really gone to crap? I remember when they were ridiculously rough on giving games high scores.

"IGN is reporting that Ridge Racer 7 will require a 5GB install on the hard drive in order to play. This is the second game to confirm an install on the hard drive, with Genji 2 requiring 2GB of space to install."

Wow, the more I read, the more the PS3 is a PC @_@;;

I wonder how long the wait is to install the game

"IGN is reporting that Ridge Racer 7 will require a 5GB install on the hard drive in order to play. This is the second game to confirm an install on the hard drive, with Genji 2 requiring 2GB of space to install."

Wow, the more I read, the more the PS3 is a PC @_@;;

I wonder how long the wait is to install the game

I think you read it wrong or reworded it wrong. No where does it say that 5GB of install is required in order to play the game. You don't have to install anything and it will still play. But if you install those files it will speed up loadtime. it's a option not a requirement.

And this is Namco you are talking about, I'm pretty sure they can toss in a mini game for you to play while the files are installing to your harddrive.